Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 10:33 AM
pookee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While at the Auto Show in New York a couple of months ago I stopped by the Sylvania - Osram booth, where they were displaying different bulbs.
I asked about the 6000k vs. the 4300k. The reply from the rep was that the 4300k are too bright for street use. The reduced output of the 6000k bulb looks better and is the most light that can be used on a street use car.
I myself have bought the 4300k set-up but did not have time to install them yet.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:08 PM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by John W:
<strong>Maurice,
if you fancy having a go at the solenoid idea, why not try to pick up a set of s/h ones from a breaker and start hacking.

Cheers,
John. (currently fitting some to my other car too !)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny you should say that, JW ! Am awaiting shipment of headlamp pair 'new in boxes' been on a left hooker while it was in UK for short while, from 911 & PW classifieds. My intention is to try making a 'projector type' hi beam pair out of the two sets - I did have a chunk out of one lens, so rather than spend £50 on a lens, I'm spending £140 on two headlights! Must be some logic there somewhere!

Will let you know how things progress - cheers, Maurice
Old 07-02-2002, 12:05 AM
red targa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ron,

I was pretty happy with the Philips HID kit installed on my 993 until last month. It was installed around November last year, but recently my right side would not go on. If I switched the lights on and off a couple of times, it would go back on sometimes. However, last week, it would not go on despite repeated attempts.

I took it into my usual garage, and was told that there maybe some problem with the wiring or plug supplied by Philips? I am overseas now, so next week I will take it into the HID shop for repair. Will let you know what happens.

I am not sure whether other people have similar experience or not. Anyway, I would make sure the shop is well experienced with HID installation for Porsche, before you let them do it. When the HID was working, it was really much brighter than the original Halogen.

I concurred that there are two types of OEM HID's, 4500K and 6000K. Mine were 4500K, but apparently 6000K are brighter.

Quick Reply: HID Question