boxster s, 993 c2s or 993 c4s

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 12:35 AM
sixpackd
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post boxster s, 993 c2s or 993 c4s

hey all,

just curious if anyone had an opinion on the three cars.

I am looking into getting a new-to-me car, and the 3 that pop into mind are a new boxster s, a c2s or a c4s. I would like to do alot of track events, but I will not race this car. I currently have a 2000 M Coupe, and while it is nice, it certainly is not a porsche.

please let me know what you think. I am under the assumption that these cars priced fairly comparable, but what about performance? should I wait for the high horsepower boxster instead?

thx
davis
Old 08-02-2001, 01:34 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Main thing - look at all of them, drive them. It's YOUR money, and you have to live with the sucker.

RE Boxster vs. 993s - if you track the car, you have to worry about harness installation and roll bars. Talk to the organizations you want to run with -everybody has their own rules. With us (Allegheny Region PCA), if you run without the hardtop, MUST have roll bar that is high enuf so that when your helmet is on, top of helmet is under a "broomstick" stretching from windshield top to roll bar. For 90% of folks, that means getting a roll bar extension. Also must have 5/6 point harnesses and arm restraints for driver and passenger. Getting the hardtop and using it at track events means none of the above requirements apply. Other organizations have different/their own rules.

RE C2 vs C4S: big thing is C4S has big brakes, hydraulically assisted brakes (vs vacuum asist on C2), bigger master cylinder than C2S/C4, biggest brakes of any 993. So, you have better brakes with slight decrease in accelleration due to higher weight. AWD vs RWD results in more stable car (more understeer) with some decrease in road feel. Some like it - some don't. Drive both and make up your own mind. Oh yeah - C4S is prob. about $10-15K more expensive than C2S. Pick up copy of "Autoweek" or "Panorama" and look at prices.

Also - check the archives. I see a similar question about once a week. There could be some hidden info in archives that isn't covered in present responses that you'll bound to get.
Old 08-02-2001, 01:35 AM
Michael Elmore
Advanced

Davis:

Since you replied to my e-mail, I'll return the favor. I personally would go with the C2S, but others may have a differing opinion. Also, since you're considering 993s, I wouldn't even add the Boxster S in the equation. It is a nice car, but it is no 993.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:37 AM
larbaby2th
Advanced

In the last year and a half, I have owned a Boxster S and now a 98 993S. Having owned two previous 911 cars, I liked the Boxster S and it is one helluva a sports car, but the air cooled 911 cars are one of a kind. I am in love with the turbo-bodied screaming, whining, lusty, 911, and always will be. Sold the Boxster S. good luck and get what turns YOU on Larry
Old 08-02-2001, 02:49 AM
mjc
Intermediate

My .02 here ...if you're considering selling it in a few years, the C4S tends to hold it value longer.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:09 AM
SeanD
Instructor

A Boxster S??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa

Oh my.

I dumped mine and have not cried once.

No comparison. Period.

The 993 drives better. Looks better. FEELs better.

I hope to see your "I bought a 993" post soon.
Old 08-02-2001, 04:15 AM
leslie
Instructor

Agree completely with SeanD and Larbaby2th. Had a Boxster (Non-S) Love the car but it CERTAINLY is not a 993. I have said this before and I will repeat it again. Will keep my 993 for next 20 years to pass on to my son.
BTW, would chose a C2S over a C4s but this is purely personal as others love the assurance of the 4WD in a C4S. Try the cars out and you would know what to buy. All 3 are great cars. (Some are just greater than others)
Old 08-02-2001, 03:06 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

RE Boxster vs. 993s - if you track the car, you have to worry about harness installation and roll bars.
Ray.. Regarding track use, a buddy is buying a Boxster S because it is quite easy and inexpensive to set up with a rollbar extension and harnesses. I'm curious to see how he does with it on the track.. I suspect he will be competitive with a stock 993??

993's can be rollbarred too, but a little costlier and a little more difficult.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:12 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
<STRONG>I suspect he will be competitive with a stock 993??</STRONG>
Jim,

Not trying to sound like a hump, but I have not seen a Boxster S on the track that kept up with me. In fact even those student cars that I have driven are not even close.
Old 08-02-2001, 03:13 PM
Griffin Brown
Advanced

Talking

Davis, I've driven both the Boxter S and the 993's. I would definitely go with the C2S. Depends on what you like and how you will use the car, but there is nothing that puts a smile on your face quite like breaking the backend loose in a controlled slide. I looked hard at a C4S, but have been happy that I got a C2.
Old 08-02-2001, 04:11 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Davis,
IMO the best car for track events of the three would be a C2S with Turbo/C4 brakes added. While the C2S brakes are adequate
(more than adequate, actually), the Big Reds will slow the rotation of the earth!
Old 08-02-2001, 08:37 PM
MikeO
Advanced

Cool

sixpackd,

I just bought a Speed Yellow '98 C2S a month ago instead of a Boxster S, but let me play the Devil's advocate a minute and tell you why you should buy the Boxster S instead:

1) You can put the top down.

2) It will cost you anywhere from $5000 to $15,000 LESS than the C2S or C4, leaving you a whole lot of $$$ to add wheels, etc. to the S or to even take the family on a heck of a nice 30 day vacation most anywhere you choose.

3) The Boxster has a warranty, while the C2S and C4S won't.

4) If you're an average to good driver, the Boxster S will be much easier to drive fast.

Even with all those reasons, I still bought the C2S. I may still sell it someday and buy a Boxster S (they are a REAL nice car, in my opinion), but the C2S is probably the best looking Porsche ever built. I especially like mine in Speed Yellow and with the factory Aerokit - sure doesn't look "cute" like the Boxster does...
Old 08-03-2001, 09:31 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

I have not seen a Boxster S on the track that kept up with me.
EJ,
I'm sure not trying to start something here, but are you comparing drivers or cars? I personally haven't seen a Boxster S set up with track tires and a good driver, and I'm just curious how my friend will do - he's good, and I'm guessing (and so is he) that he'll run with stock 993's. I'll for sure keep you posted.

Looking at the two cars from a weight and horsepower basis, they ought to be in similar leagues.

It's just like the 993/996 issue. I have never been passed by a 996. Does that mean the 993 is a better track car (whoa, now I'm really asking for trouble ?)
PS.. what's a hump?

Jim
Old 08-03-2001, 10:34 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Jim Sullivan:
<STRONG>EJ,
I'm sure not trying to start something here, but are you comparing drivers or cars? I personally haven't seen a Boxster S set up with track tires and a good driver, and I'm just curious how my friend will do - he's good, and I'm guessing (and so is he) that he'll run with stock 993's. I'll for sure keep you posted.</STRONG>
Please let me know. Like you, I have not seen one with track tires, but they do come with pretty good street rubber. I have had two studens with them in the past year (one with KDs) and neither was as fast as my car. I can not fully explain it, but they did not feel as fast and according to the clock, they were not as fast. By the wasy , that was with me driving. Of course I drive my car pretty hard and probably took it easy on their cars... I guess we will all run into one at the track in the future and then we will know for sure. Also, you mention not seeing one with track rubber and 'set up for the track' Please remember that my car is not really set up for the track either, just the tires. I still have the USA 030 that does me no favors (except for good video from behind with body roll and one wheel lock up). The premise is good though with a mid engine and similar hp.

<STRONG>It's just like the 993/996 issue. I have never been passed by a 996. Does that mean the 993 is a better track car (whoa, now I'm really asking for trouble ?)</STRONG>
Jim, I do not want to start this debate, but I know my car is not as fast as 996 car. One of my good friends (and students for a long time - I was his first instructor) has a 996 with springs and tires only and he is blazingly faster than me. He drives hard (too hard sometimes) but I can't keep up at all no matter how hard I try. I think once again it could be contributed to how hard people drive at the track. But I will say this: it is frustrating to see your student leave you in the dust no matter how hard you try to hang... I guess you have to let the baby bird leave the nest sometime...

<STRONG>PS.. what's a hump?</STRONG>
I just meant I did not want to come across as one of those chest beating guys that have infiltrated the boards lately with comments like "my car is faster than yours..."

Good luck and it is nice to have a choice like yours. For my money I would buy a higher mileage C2 and put a few dollars into it and turn it into a 'great track car.'
The C2S would be nice to have, but I don't think for a track car the premium price over a regular Carrera is worth it. Heck, you don't even get the big brakes...

Here are some pics of a properly set up C2S track car. It is owned by Greg Fishman - a frequent contributor here (racing at Gingerman this weekend):

Old 08-03-2001, 10:52 AM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Originally posted by E. J.:
<STRONG>I guess we will all run into one at the track in the future and then we will know for sure...</STRONG>
Boster or not, I try to avoid running into anything on the track.

My experience has been about the same as yours, E.J.. I love the Boxster S, and have driven them (fairly) hard at the track, but they are not going to be competitive with a 993. Sure, if the driver in the Boxster is quicker than the driver in the 993, then the Boxster can be competitive. With equal drivers, the 993 will always be quicker.

Quick Reply: boxster s, 993 c2s or 993 c4s