Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious how do you guys fair against e46 m3s??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 06:05 PM
ventoGT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To elaborate on 993PolarSilver's comments as well as some that were discussed back in 9/04, BMW has at least done the right thing and warrantied the engines for 100K miles and eaten the repairs. Porsche is still making problem H20 cooled engines [see the 997 board for several RMS problems already] and denying responsibility. Yes, things get blown up on the internet, but at the same time, I read earlier that there were 130 documented engine problems on this M3 registry...wonder how many RMS problems we would see on a similar registry for pCars.....
Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Talking At last, I can provide a definitive answer, well maybe,...

regardless of how fast the M car is, I should be faster...every time.

You must be thinking, this guy has a 600 HP 993, not so! The M3 car has a top speed govenor, we don't!

Although this was not a M3, wifey had a 540 i auto tranny company car for a short while...that sucker was speedy. Take traction control off, stand on the brake and gas...pop the brake and 100+ ft of company car rubber would be on the ground with great clouds of white smoke, and the car reaking of rubber for a bit.

I can't believe I would reveal such a deep dark secret...hold it; I didn't say I did it...I just said that it happened!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:08 AM
thomas
Instructor

Originally Posted by ventoGT
I read earlier that there were 130 documented engine problems on this M3 registry...wonder how many RMS problems we would see on a similar registry for pCars.....
I think that might be this website

http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm
Old 05-06-2005, 12:31 AM
AlgaeHater
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here's my feedback - yes, I own both.

I've noticed that many of you are comparing your modified 993s against stock M3s in terms of handling (not a fair comparison). Wanna know how a modified 993 compares against a comparably modified E46 M3?

I recently swapped my lightly modified C2S (ROW M030 suspension, wheels, exhaust, etc) :

...for this (SMG E46 M3):

Since I bought the M3, I've added PSS9s, Hartge wheels, Borla exhaust, AFE intake. Here's my $0.02:

M3 Advantages:

Speed: No comparison. Anyone who thinks a 993 can keep up with an E46 M3 hasn't driven both. In a straight line or rolling down the highway, the M3 will pull (easily) on a 993.

Transmission: as much as I loved my 993, I hated the sloppy shift feel (especially coming from an S2000). The E46 transmission is hands down the best transmission in the world (including Ferrari's slower-shifting F1 trannys). Yes, I realize that this is a bold claim. I find those who complain about the SMG dont know how to operate it properly. I absolutely love the SMG tranny.

Handling: what a difference PSS9s make! In modified form, my M3 outhandles my modified 993. I have had consistently faster autocross times in my M3 (no track time though).

Comfort: what an amazing car - an awesome combination of performance and luxury.

Here are some areas my C2S edged out my M3:

Steering: no comparison - I miss the 993's steering feel

Looks: are you kidding me? C2S hands down

Brakes: Can't argue with the fade free Brembos.

Sound: While my M3 sounds like a superbike with the Borla exhaust, I miss the rumble of the flat six.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:57 AM
chris322
Addict
Rennlist Member

AlgaeHater:

Just wanted to say that I love your taste in cars (i.e. choice of car/color/mods) and I enjoyed your objective comparison of the 993 and the M3. Having said that, this thread made me think about something that people rarely mention when comparing the 993 to some of the current sports cars on the market, which is comparing an 8 year sports car with a 1 or 2 year old sports car. I think the progress in regards to engine technology has come along way in the last eight years and the comparison is apples and oranges. I know na 993's were never the fastest cars, however if you compare them to other 1997 model year cars, they certainly held their own against other sports cars. Maybe I am getting defensive after hearing about how slow the 993's are compared to the WRX and EVO, etc. Anyway, sorry about the rant, I really wanted to compliment you on going from one great car to another.

Quick Reply: Curious how do you guys fair against e46 m3s??