Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HiFi amps use speaker or line level inputs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 12:49 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,978 Likes on 2,816 Posts
Default HiFi amps use speaker or line level inputs?

I've searched this topic, but I'm not convinced - are the inputs to the Nokia Hifi optional amp speaker level or RCA line level? Can an aftermarket headunit drive the amp with speaker wires or RCA's? If you connect an aftermarket headunit directly to the HIFI speakers, will there be sufficient volume (someone said the speakers are higher than normal 4ohm impedance).

Thanks!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 05:49 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand, the Nokia optional amp inputs are somewhere between a true "pre-amp" signal from the head unit versus a speaker line level signal. The signal from the Porsche head unit is actually amplified a bit, and it doesn't use the RCA style line. Instead, they use a special DIN plug that is designed for that particular connection between the Porsche head unit and the optional Nokia amp. As for running the Nokia amp with an aftermarket head unit, you would have to "gerry rig" the wiring to make the special DIN plug fit with the RCA outs on the back of the aftermarket head unit. Finally, if you want to by-pass the amp altogether to run the Nokia HiFi speakers with just the amp on the aftermarket head unit, if its a good aftermarket unit, you should have enough volume to run the speakers, but it probably won't sound as good as you will want. Generally, when you have component speakers you want to run them with an amp that has a good high level continuous power rating (I'd say, at least 40 watts/channel RMS). Though many after market head units are rated that high or higher, few actually achieve it in practice.

But the real issue is, why use that Nokia stuff at all. The amp is not very good, and the speakers are crap too. Depending upon your budget, you should consider scrapping the whole kit and kabudle and begin to build a new system. There are a bunch of threads on this website about stereo upgrades. I'm sure you could get some great advice from various Rennlisters. I'd suggest going that route, instead of troubling yourself with the Porsche HiFi system wiring, etc.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:59 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

IMHO... When upgrading the factory sound system, the speakers should be the first to go. No matter how good of a head unit you use or how clean the specs on the aftermarket amp are if you keep the Nokia speakers your wasting your money. Just my $0.02

Last edited by p_carfan; 08-20-2004 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:05 PM
jusafan
Instructor

I agree with p_carfan! Try Focal two or three way components. MB Quart makes a good two way component system too. Of course, this will start the slippery slope. You will want to get rid of everything related to the factory sound system before long :-)
Old 08-20-2004, 06:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! I was just looking for a way to use my iRiver HD Music player and need RCA inputs (CD Changer controller seems to fit the bill), but you're probably right about upgrading the whole mess. It's just that I spend so much $$$ on my home audio rig, that I'm only interested in having adequate sound in the car and the ability to play digital music (I play vinyl at home). Here's an outdated photo of my home rig:

http://teresaudio.com/haven/friends/grantg.html
Old 08-20-2004, 06:54 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Grant,

IMHO, I think you would be pleasantly surprized what a set of component MBQarts Or Focals would make. I got my component MBQuarts on eBay...cheap! They sounded great with the factory head unit (I have upgraded the head recently).

Old 08-20-2004, 07:40 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Well, let's see. So the problem is you can't connect the iRiver Music Player to the Factory head unit, because it needs RCA inputs, or something equivalent. Hmmm . . . and all you want to do is be able to play the iRiver Music Player. Well, you're probably going to want to get a new head unit, as the factory one is likely to be confused by something like an iRiver Music Player, even if you can overcome the problem of RCA inputs.

So if you are trying to save money, get a good high-powered head unit that is MP3 capable, as that should have the necessary control and input capabilities that you will need. Then have a good installer wire the head unit directly to the existing Nokia speakers, bypassing the optional factory amp (that avoids the DIN/RCA jack problem). It should be relatively easy, though those speakers really are crap and with the good head unit this will quickly become apparent.

That should do it for a while. But you appear to be a serious audiophile, given the looks of your home system. I suspect it will not be long before your ears are assaulted by the limitations of the Nokia speakers, and the lack of an amp (since you will bypass the factory optional amp once you get the aftermarket head unit). Hence the slippery slope we referred to earlier.

Does this sound like a reasonable, if short-term solution?
Old 08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks again, guys! I think I'll start with a head unit and hopefully I won't be too disappointed (PO already replaced the factory unit with an Alpine in-dash CD player, 35Wx4). I guess it's probably already wired to bypass the amp, so a newer Alpine with RCA inputs, 50Wx4 and MP3 capability can't sound any worse than what I have...

Quick Reply: HiFi amps use speaker or line level inputs?