Sponsored by:

windshield rust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 10:43 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy windshield rust?

I recently noticed what appears to be the start of the dreaded windshield rust problem at the bottom drivers side. (Read a number of threads on the subject, mostly dealing with getting rust fixed under 10 year warranty).

Upon closer examination, it isn't so much rust as it is a corrosion line forming at the very edge where the rubber gasket meets the painted panel.

I lifted the trim, got my finger under it and slid my finger all the way to the corner so that I lifted it for about an 8" length.

I was amazed at how much water ran out from under the gasket. Did the same thing on the other side with the same result.

I usually only drive in the rain when I get stuck in it, (not too often), but I am crazy about washing the car. How the heck is the water getting under there?

Now that I know about it I be vigilant to lift the gasket to let the water out. Anyone else experience this?, can I do anything to stop water from getting under there?

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 08-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

i just had my windshield replaced and the cowl painted to repair this (see my post 3 weeks ago)
I was told this is not uncommon on 993 cars.
not sure what to do going forward.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:59 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the same problem Mike....to make matters worse.....water congregates INSIDE the car in the lower left corner too. I don't find any water inside the car after a wash, but definately after a drive in the rain. I suspicion the outer rubber seal lifts just enough during driving to trap water in.

If your windshield has the dreaded squeak and you apply lubricants around the windshield seal, be careful not to apply too much in the lower corners. You'll have a freakin' mess cleaning the water/lubricant mixing and getting on the paint.........ask me how I know !!!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else experience this?, can I do anything to stop water from getting under there?
Yes it happens to any 993 that get rained on or washed. To stop if from happen don't get caught in the rain and don't wash your car. My old VW Beetles would get water in the same area and rust out too.

Seriously though you can get the water out by using a paper towel at the corners and the bottom of the seal, you can work it under the seal very easily. The water will be removed mostly by capillary action. You can run paper towels pretty far down into the corners and across the bottom to get most all of the water out.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree with Ron except I use a chamoise and don't forget to do the back window while you're at it. You get to know your car after a while and know where to check for excess water. Another couple of spots where the water just lies around is around the front turn signals, under the back light strip/refllector and under the the strip at the base of the rear side windows. When I wash my car I go over it with an electric garden blower in all of the above spots and then finish off with cotton towels.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:10 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Porsche put out a TSB on this problem years ago, and several Rennlisters, myself included, have had it covered under the 10-year corrosion warranty. As long as your car has never been painted, your dealer should attend to it for you. If they balk, get the zone rep involved. Check the rear glass, as well, my former 95 C4 coupe had it in both spots.

Porsche says the problem is dirt getting under the seal. Once it starts, it will only get worse, and in most cases, you can expect significant paintwork to blend in the repair, so choose your dealer carefully. Mine came out very nice.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 08-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Porsche says the problem is dirt getting under the seal
How can that have anything to do with the problem? Water will get under the seal on a brand new car.

Unless you need dirt to be present for rust to form which would be news to me.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:57 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One thing which should also help with this problem:

If you have fixed windshield "squak" problem with chain oil spray (lika menay of us have), regularily "oiling" the space b/ween the windshield and car should eliminate, or at least help with the corrosion.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Im confused and not sure what to do..
As said, i just had my windshield changed and they repainted the cowl to repair the rust bubbles (pcna paid for this). The car has had a water leak into it before as the carpets were wet and the petal floorboard has had a little water stain.
1- can i get pcna to give me new center carpet strips (where u put ure feet) as well as foaming as these have gotten very wet in the past?
2- should i consider the problem fixed, for will it still gather water under the seal?
3- is there anything else i should tell the dealer to do while it is in there?
Old 08-19-2004, 11:39 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I doubt PCNA will replace the carpet, as they will probably say you should've attended to the problem when it first appeared. A heat gun (or hair dryer) will dry everything out thoroughly.

I believe the seal they install is an updated part which is supposed to alleviate the problem. Whether it does or not, who knows? There are specific instructions in the TSB on how to apply the seal and how to protect the area. I don't have a copy of it anymore, although perhaps someone else does.

Vic
95 C4 cab
Old 08-19-2004, 12:23 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob S,

Out of curiosity when they put in the new seal did they use adhesive to attach it to the car or can you still lift the seal from the edge?
Old 08-19-2004, 03:24 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron
Rob S,

Out of curiosity when they put in the new seal did they use adhesive to attach it to the car or can you still lift the seal from the edge?

Of course it's kinda difficult to understand (w/out pics) that we're all talking about exactly the same thing....but......I do not believe a 'correctly installed seal would have adhesive under it, holding it down to body (but I could be wrong and would like to know if I am)..

Several things to keep in mind here (don't get me wrong, I'm no expert):

**Inherently weak design here....some would say, amazing AG was still using this system to set a windscreen all the way up to 97
**The 2 TSBs that remotely pertain to this (that I'm aware, 9511 & 9501 for MY95 and Turbo 96) talk primarily about sealant & adhesive for re-installation.
**Glass should not leak in any case.......TSB 9501 talks about filling "the gap between the glass edge and the car body" the the newer Bostic 6050 sealer.
**Puting a windscreen in in a 993 is not a walk-in-the-park.....if I had my choice I'd have someone who has done at least one before....just getting glass and seal centered takes care
**Warranty is for perforation from the inside out.......I know, most of us are talking about surface issues here but 'technically' PCNA can try to talk about "rusted completely through"
**My old files on this say that originally, in 95, Zuffenhausen may have been using an adhesive/sealant that reacted with the galvanized metal. This was further agrivated by the design, water, etc, etc.
**PCNA Customer Commitment folks are nice on the phone.....if the dlr has denyed claim they may send you back there for a 2nd look and even a 2nd Zone rep look. CC folks keep your file going, and log any updated communication you have w/them.

In my case......I had right lower corner repaired in 99 through warranty. The repair itself was a very bad experience (which I will not go into here)........and now I have almost exactly the same issue with the left lower corner. I began warranty 'process' on this several months ago.......and am now awaiting for call from CC within 2 weeks for some final resolution from a person who will review my whole file. (They also gave me the option of getting it repaired at my own expence and then submiting bill with letter of explanation)

To date the primary issues in my case.........1.) this VIN has been fixed (dlr body shop comp'd).......and 2.) not 'perforated'.

My car is in excellent shape otherwise....been concoured at PCA Parades....I will get this fixed regardless........just think I'm in the middle here and either PCNA should step up.....or insist that the dlr body shop step up.

Last edited by GreggT; 08-19-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Inherintly poor design here
That's for sure.

I would think that most, if not all, cars have componets that are designed poorly and in some cases defectively. The 993s are no exception.

A few that come to mind are: door strap, no battery tray, window gaskets, fragile front jact points, and secondary air injection system.

For the most part about all you can say is "oh well" I'll just have to deal with that situation and move on.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Ironically, my car is currently at the body shop for some warranty rust repair to the a-pillars(also quite common I understand), not rust under the windscreen problem.

There is a fair amount of water sloshing around after a car wash/rain event coming from below the windshield everytime the car gets wet...This started after I had the windshield replaced.

Looks like I'll have the body shop check under the windshield molding to see if there is anything else to repair...

Carlsen Porsche was very good about getting approval for the repair so hopefully, the repair also goes well too.

cheers,
Old 09-21-2004, 10:22 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

After 6 months on my request (and 2 additional calls to Customer Commitment to add to my desciption above) I recieved a letter from the Zone Rep yesterday saying they will not stand behind the problem, so I am on my own to get this fixed. I'm pretty sure the cost will be neighborhood $2000, as that windshield will have to come out & a new put in, plus the body work, new seal, etc.

I'm disapointed in PCNA. As a small business owner I know the importance of 'keeping' current customers, return business, and maintaining your reputation every day........ & I know that PCNA just lost an "opportunity" to reinforce a reputation, and keep a valued client.
I have been a fairly good customer of Porsche. I currently own three 911s......this 993, an 02 C4 Cab, and an 01 Roock Turbo. I'm active in two PCA Regions as well as BMW & MB Clubs. It is unlikely, going forward, that I will speak highly of this experience with PCNA if ever or when ever the opportunity presents itself.

Quick Reply: windshield rust?