Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 TT vs. 98 Elise at BHF this weekend - WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:24 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97 TT vs. 98 Elise at BHF this weekend - WOW!

So there I was at Blackhawk this weekend and had the opportunity to get a ride along in a Moton equiped TT (with TRG sway bars) and then a ride in an Elise...

OMG! I can't believe the power available on the TT!! I got instantly spoiled rotton... NOW I understand why everyone says that if you experience a TT, you will want one

...except it gets worse.. There was another track junkie there with a gorgeous Yellow Elise (one of only 35 in the country - 1450 pounds and fast as hell!) ...and I asked for a drive along for a few laps... Geez, when they say go kart like handling, they aren't kidding!

..THEN I got to take it around the track a few times myself... Dumb move because NOW I know WHY he was so damn fast... You can really feel how light that car is and the 'stick' is simply unbelievable! I felt like I was in a truck when I got back in my own 993 the next session

...The only problem with the Elise is that it isn't street legal so it isn't really an option for me but that TT... WOW!!!

(...just thought I'd share a tidbit of my weekend fun!)
Old 08-16-2004, 12:07 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Talking

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
chris - Yeah, but there IS now a street legal Elise.... If you ever get at chance take a ride in an Motorsport Elise, it's even faster and tighter than the street Elise.
oh believe me.. the Elise I drove was anything BUT street legal...

it had upgraded suspension, custom brakes, hoosier's, and the race 190hp motor...

It was absolutely amazing!!!!

...only thing about the Elise is the rear visibility isn't the greatest... but the owner told me it isn't much of a problem.. LOL (as in, he tends to be the one doing the passing at every even anyway)

He mentioned that I'd now hate the new street for sale (2000 pounds) and NOT as fast ...and apparently that toyota engine isn't the best option for reliability after all
Old 08-16-2004, 01:05 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Default got a pic of it?

I have heard the Elise is nice. Have you driven the Noble M12 (I posted a thread on it a while back)? If you are in the Southwest Ohio area, stop by their dealership for a spin (only dealer in the US). No connection to the car, just the most thrilling ride I have ever experienced. www.noblecars.com/

This was the car I took out for a spin last year.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2004, 01:10 PM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

didn't mean to hijack the thread ceboyd
Old 08-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting report on the Elise. I know where you are coming from. Very light car, no doubt. I test drove the new 2005 Elise on Saturday. It was way too short of a test drive, so I can't report much. I noted a loud rattle and squeak in the rear when I hit bumps, which worried me a bit since the demo had just arrived. The seats are barely padded, the driver's seat only adjusts forward and back, and the passenger's seat does not adjust at all. The seats were not designed with me in mind, at 5'2". Add to that the big blind spot you mentioned earlier, and I was not too comfy. I like the concept of the Elise, that being super-light with no frills. They are supposed to be great track cars. I'm wary of the reliabiity however. I'm looking forward to giving it an extended test drive and waiting to hear reviews from owners.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:35 PM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ceboyd
it had upgraded suspension, custom brakes, hoosier's, and the race 190hp motor...

He mentioned that I'd now hate the new street for sale (2000 pounds) and NOT as fast ...and apparently that toyota engine isn't the best option for reliability after all
I would hope that a dedicated track car would be quicker than a car that has to meet those bothersome EPA/DOT regs...but 1450 lbs?! Was this an Elise or an Exige? I'd love to know how they pared 500 lbs off what is already a featherweight car.

The US spec Elise with the VVT 1.8 Toyota is rated at the same 190 HP out of the box, and certainly good for more.

Whats the evidence for the Toyota suppposedly not being the "best option" for reliability? Less reliable than the MG/Rover unit in previous cars? That would be a first I'd be far more concerned with Lotus build quality than with the Toyota engine.

I've driven a US spec Elise demo, and its an impressive and very quick car. Probably the most responsive street car I've ever driven...reminded me of a FF 2000 in that regard. Nothing at all to hate about that...

Tim
Old 08-16-2004, 01:36 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you guys are worried about the reliability of the Toyota engine there are engine mount adapter kits to fit a Honda B series motor into the car. Incredibly reliable and immense power potential (via turbocharging).
Old 08-16-2004, 02:00 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys....

This is a 1998 NON USA LEGAL RACE SPEC Elise... weighing in at 1450 pounds! ...and the 1st one in the country (the guy knows the head of Lotus in England)

It came from LOTUS USA as a custom order for track use only..

I has a factory removable race steering wheel, factory race seats with race harness, factory fire extinguisher...

bare bones.. no a/c or any of that other fru fru stuff... specialized for race application ONLY!!

..sorry if I wasn't specific..
Old 08-16-2004, 03:03 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter

The track Elise, Motorosport Elise, is much quicker and lighter than either the older and new street Elise.

But they're all a pain to get in and out of.....
sounds about right... yeah, it is a bit interesting to crawl in and out but if you put your right leg in, and sit on the side, you can move yourself over into the seat and then you are in!!! (at least the steering wheel comes off easily for in and out.. LOL)

Old 08-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
Guys....

This is a 1998 NON USA LEGAL RACE SPEC Elise... weighing in at 1450 pounds! ...and the 1st one in the country (the guy knows the head of Lotus in England)

It came from LOTUS USA as a custom order for track use only..

I has a factory removable race steering wheel, factory race seats with race harness, factory fire extinguisher...

bare bones.. no a/c or any of that other fru fru stuff... specialized for race application ONLY!!

..sorry if I wasn't specific..
Please tell me you took some pics....
Old 08-16-2004, 03:44 PM
dale_loch
Instructor

ceboyd,
Was the Elise from Fox Valley Motorcars? They have been bringing in the Elise for the last 3 years (for off road use only).
Old 08-16-2004, 08:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I got to see a DOT legal Elise in Portland a few months ago. It was on display by a local Lotus dealer. Ordered cars should be arriving soon..

See this thread for the pics I posted:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=lotus+elise
Old 08-16-2004, 09:17 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by dale_loch
ceboyd,
Was the Elise from Fox Valley Motorcars? They have been bringing in the Elise for the last 3 years (for off road use only).
nope.. privately owned..

..and sorry....didn't take photos BUT I promise I can take them next time I see him at the track..... We'll see him again Oct 2nd and 3rd actually at the new Autobahn country club track that is about to open in Joliet, IL!!

We will have one more track option in the area.. WAHOOO!!! ...and this one will be closest to home...
Old 08-16-2004, 09:34 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

pretty much.. except in yellow and without the targa cover portion.... ..and without that tail... so more 'open' almost looking like a convertible
Old 08-17-2004, 01:16 AM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Here you go, you can buy one of your own for the track:

http://www.parkplaceltd.com/webinven...ils.asp?id=863

Thanks,
Peter

Quick Reply: 97 TT vs. 98 Elise at BHF this weekend - WOW!