Sponsored by:

Anti-rollbar settings for 993RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Jonas Ribbelov
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-rollbar settings for 993RS

I today had the chance to drive a friends 993 RS in order to compare the feel of his car to my 993 RS. Rather surprisingly there was a hugh difference in the feel of the cars right from the clutch, gearbox, power steering basically everything. I also noticed that his car had much more oversteer compared to mine despite the cars having the same anti-rollbar settings i.e. mid posistion of the three settings front and back. This might be due to other suspension settings such as camber and toe-in etc. but I was not expecting such a difference.

My question is which combination of anti-rollbar settings do I use to get more oversteer in my car. I would expect a soft setting at the back i.e. the rearmost setting on the anti-roll bar in combination with a hard setting at the fornt i.e. the fore most anti-roll bar setting? Any thoughts on this?

Can I just add that the 993 RS is such a great car and it gets better the harder and more brutal you are with it. Tyres are vital, using R-compound tyres sych as the Pirelli Corsa or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup makes such a difference compared with normal road tires.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:03 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think to increase oversteer, you do just the opposite... stiffen the rear bar and soften the front.

check out this table to see things to do to adjust the suspension....

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/1-e.html
Old 08-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Jonas:

Begin your quest for more neutral handling by setting the front and rear bars in their middle holes and see how you like that.

Small changes are made at the front,....bigger changes come from adjusting the rear bar.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:21 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i have mine set to tightest on the rear and second loosest on the front
Old 08-16-2004, 04:37 AM
Jonas Ribbelov
Intermediate

Steve,

I currently have my anti-rollbar settings in the middle position both front and rear. I seem to recall there are a total of three settings both front and rear. Now I will try to stiffen the rear anti-rollbar by moving to the outward most position i.e. increasing the leverage. If that doesn't help I will soften the front. I had a 4 wheel alignment and cornerweighting performed some months ago so that should be in check. I can revert to you with the exacy settings from the computer read-out when I get home tonight.

What strikes me as odd is the complete difference in the feel between the two 993 RS's. I acknowledge that the clutch can feel different but the powersteering and the engine response was completely different (both cars have the exact same mileage (26 000 miles)....

//Jonas
Old 08-20-2004, 04:52 PM
zubinranderia
Track Day

The anti-roll bar settings do make a big difference. I generally run my RS with middle (of the five settings) front and hardest (of the three settings) on the rear, which will make it more prone to oversteer. The reason for running middle on the front is that it is a pain to change the fronts (need 2 jacks / axle stands) whilst it is possible to change the rears with just two 16mm spanners without even lifting the rear of the car. Therefore I tend to adjust the rears much more often than the front. If it is a wet track I soften front, and only if it is really wet will I bother with the fronts. The rule is softening the roll bars will increase grip at that end.

What suspension settings do you run compared with the other RS? The suspension on mine needs resetting pretty often. To give you an illustration, I had mine done in September last year, and then February this year, and it had moved a fair bit:
- Front camber - was 1 deg and moved to a shade over 2
- Rear camber was 1 1/2 and moved to a bit over 2
Therefore the difference may be due to the suspension going out of alignment. If you ride kerbs / rumble strips at race tracks, they will take their toll.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:26 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bar setting

Now I will try to stiffen the rear anti-rollbar by moving to the outward most position i.e. increasing the leverage.
Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but to stiffen you want to move inward, not outward.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:39 AM
zubinranderia
Track Day

Originally Posted by TroyN
Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but to stiffen you want to move inward, not outward.
That's correct. To stiffen you move drop link nearer to the bar (so the bar cannot move so much), to soften you move it away from the bar.

Quick Reply: Anti-rollbar settings for 993RS