993 Forum 1995-1998

Ticking noise behind dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 01:13 AM
993C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking noise behind dashboard

When driving over uneven surfaces, bumps or manhole covers, I can hear an audible ticking noise coming from behind the dashboard (driver's side). It's not loud but very noticable and it's driving me NUTS! Where's this sound coming from?

Please help..... anyone
Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 AM
D.G..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find a similar noise. The dash board is actually made up of several parts, which can rub together creating noises. The lower part of the dash (the part with the small ledge that goes across the width of the car) is actually a separate piece from the upper dash. If find that my noise dissapears if I push up or down on the lower part of the dash immediately to the right of the steering wheel. I know that the ends of the lower dash are fastened to the car by three bolts under the end plates that are exposed when you open the doors of the car, but I have not tracked down the center mount points. Once I find these I plan to increase or decrease the preload between the lower dash and the upper dash to see if that helps. If not, I may remove the lower dash entirely in order to expose other possible sources of the noise. I've never had the lower dash all of the way off, so I don't know if it is practical to do so. Please keep me posted if you find another solution.

D.G.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise behind dashboard