993 Forum 1995-1998

Taking care of your 993 - not PM

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking care of your 993 - not PM

Hey guys - I have a couple of questions for you guys that have had your 993 for a while, and have kept them looking soooo sweeet! I have read through many posts, and have found a lot of good information, but had a couple of lingering questions.

I have seen all of the PM stuff, the Zaino V Rejex stuff, etc.

1. Do you cover your dash when you have to park in the sun? If so, what do you use? I wonder because there is not a lot of room inthe car, and the folding window deals are pretty big....

2. If you have a radar detector, do you always pull the unit and hide when paking in public? Seems like common sense, but a pain in the ace. I just wonder how many do V dont do this.

3. What do you treat/condition your interior with - especially the dash...I had an 85 targa, and had the dash recovered because it had pulled away from the windshield after years of hot/cold...you get the picture.

4. Door swings open...when I open my door (and more importantly, my passengers door) it swings slowly open if I do not keep mu hand on the door strap. This is ok on my side ( but a little annoying), but I worry about the passenger door. First, I have kids...soonr or later they are going to put a little two-tone highlight on the edge of my door. Also with adults, I feel odd telling them, "uh watch the door, it will swing open pretty far..."

Is there a way to get the door to stop at a safe distance (or hesitate) like most cars do? I am lucky to not have any welds, etc. But I would like to protect the color on the edge of my doors, the adult passengers I allow in the car, and my kids!

Thanks in Advance!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Kerry,

My dash is vinyl and I rarely cover it up when it's parked at the track in the sun. The rest of the time it lives in a garage. I specifically avoided leather since the leather dash on my former '85 Carrera was pulling away and looked like hell. For my vinyl, I use 303 Protectant stuff. It's supposed to be much better than Armor-All.

WRT the radar detector, if I'm in an okay area, I just slide the V1 out and throw it under the seat. If the neighborhood is crappy, I pull the suction cup mount off, too. I don't think it's a huge pain to pull it off.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:54 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kerry- I think I am probably one of the few that parks my 993 out side. My garage is not availible so I forced to park it on the street. Living in San Diego the car obviously sees a lot of sun. For my dash I use Armor-all every week (every sunday to be more specific). After 3 years of this it still looks like new (knock on wood ).
Don't have a radar detector so....
And as for the doors I know of no solution. Sorry.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:26 AM
solsrch
Pro

Dan, enough about the sun in SD. I find myself stuck in the capital region for a few more years and renting out my beach house, yet again. Ugh! Oh, to be home in the OB area again.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:38 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joe- Sorry But you know 350 day of sun a year isn't all it's cracked up to be..... Oh who am I fooling, yes it is
Old 08-08-2004, 10:39 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

1. Dash: I use one of those unfolding double-round shades, they don't take up any room when folded. I only use it in the summer to keep out the sun/high-temp since I live in AZ, not really 'cause of the dash.

2. I have a habit to use a radar detector (lots of photo-radar here) and always keep it in my driver-side pocket when parked.

3. Interior: Every 4-5 months I use Lexol on my leather seats. An upholstery shop informed me the correct way to apply it was to drench the seats with it and leave it sit for 15-20 minutes so it can get absorbed. Wipe it down after that. If you just spray it on and try to rub it into the seats it's worthless, according to them.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:04 PM
stormy down
Advanced

Kerry,
Sorry to be digging this one up several days after original post.
Any inspiration about your item #4 (easy to open doors)? I have the same issue and just spent a lunchtime searching this problem and yours was the only post I saw describing the doors being too loose as opposed to too tight or clicking.
From reading the threads, it seems we're lucky to have this issue - But it does create its own problem. I wonder if replacing the straps would just send us too far in the other direction.

Maybe if folks send us the 0.04" shavings from doing Robin's DIY??
Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 PM
stormy down
Advanced

OOOps.... Sorry Chris's DIY.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:31 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

re: int.--->
i use griots int. cleaner & leather cond... & for vinyl/rubber parts i use their protectant... has a 'uv' blocker... had a porsche 'sun shade' for the boxster but was more of a bother than anything. i'd just keep the int. protected w/ a quality prod. like '303' or griots. no aff'l yadda yaa.

btw: i dust the car weekly... & use int. cleaner once a month along w/ cond. but on the dash & areas that get alot of sun... i cond. more freq. afterall... it's a cab. & i have the top down 99.9% of the time.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Kerrysatx
Intermediate

Ok - thanks for the posts. I am having the radar hard wired this week, then putting in the air bag on/off swtich, and wiring the keyless entry this weekend.

Thank
Old 08-13-2004, 04:17 AM
NeedForSpeed
Instructor

Dont let my wife drive it and it will stay nice for years and years!

Quick Reply: Taking care of your 993 - not PM