Pedro..... thanks.

P_carfan, Thanks for the info.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:29 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good link

Originally Posted by p_carfan
you can also look to autopia.com for a lot of detailing information. earlier derivatives of clay got a bad rap because they were more difficult to work with. The current genearation of clay products are very user freindly and provide an awesome contaminant free base for the application of polishes, sealants and waxes.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:03 PM
pzull
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An alternative to "cutting" the paint to remove swirls is to "fill" the swirls with something like Zaino Z5. Alot safer, requires less skill and less effort. Like applying wax, 3-5 coats and your swirls are gone....unless your paint is deeply scoured
Old 08-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3-5 coats! is that all? i was looking for a good, labor-intensive second job.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:01 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a fresh perspective as I washed the car today. Products I had at my disposal were:

Rejex
Zaino #5
Zaino #2
Dura Gloss Clear Coat Polish

First, washed car.

Second, used Zaino #5 to get rid of surface scratches, spider webs, etc. Although it did a decent job, it made its own set of fresh scratches. Also, extremely difficult to get off. Not overly impressed with the product.

Followed Zaino #5 with Rejex. Great product. Goes on easy and comes off easy. HOWEVER, and this is what I don't understand, on the right side of the car and hood it produced a lot of swirl marks. I had to Zaino #5 again and then switched to Zaino #2 instead of Rejex to get the swirls out.

Zaino #2 was not nearly as easy to work with as the Dura Gloss. Especially when you consider that they tell you to leave it on for 30 minutes before taking off. By that time, it's brutal to get off.

I don't know what to think. I started with the Rejex and thought man, is this great. Then the swirls came. Zaino was a total dud in my opinion. I guess I'll just stick with the Dura Gloss until I figure out what is going on with the Rejex.

I saw a post earlier in the thread where someone didn't have a clear coat finish on their paint. How can we tell?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:23 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

were the cloths you used a possible cause for the rejex-induced swirl marks?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:28 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Cotton, terry cloth.....
Old 08-13-2004, 10:32 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Microfiber ONLY touches the C4S' skin !!!

Cotton/Terry Cloth towels.....OUCH !!! Scratches and Burns the surface....
Old 08-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

the swirl mark culture is a difficult one to nail down. have you thought of selling your cab and buying a new swirl-mark-free ferrari 360 spyder with the f1 transmission?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:16 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

That beats microfiber
Old 08-13-2004, 11:47 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

PedroNole-
"Followed Zaino #5 with Rejex. Great product. Goes on easy and comes off easy. HOWEVER, and this is what I don't understand, on the right side of the car and hood it produced a lot of swirl marks. I had to Zaino #5 again and then switched to Zaino #2 instead of Rejex to get the swirls out. "

It was my understanding not to use Rejex over fresh Zaino .

Here's whwt Berry said in a prior thread;

if you've recently applied zaino, you can either chemically strip it with the appropriate product, or if it's been a while since you've applied it, then you can give the car a thorough washing with a decent automotive detergent. this should take away most anything that might introduce compatibility problems. another - and highly recommended - step is to clay bar the car after you wash it. i think this adds a great deal of beautification to the final result. after claying, the car is ready for RejeX. apply a small amount to a clean, soft cotton cloth (buffers work well too). don't go overboard thinking that more is better. RejeX goes on like soft butter, and it comes off easier than anything you have every used. use it on smooth and/or polished metal, paint in good condition (no oxidation), and all your glass. then, apply it to your wheels to keep the brake dust from sticking.

Old 08-13-2004, 11:54 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the way traffic thinks. I don't think the rejex would be the prob. You most likely got your swirls preparing the surface for protectant. You may want to try the 3m swirl and mark remover followed by the 3m glaze, for fill, then rejex. Also, use a porter cable or at least a cheap orbital buffer. You just can't get good results by hand trying to remove swirls.
Good luck Mr. Phelps. And... as always the state dept will disavow any knowledge of your actions if you get caught.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:27 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
followed by the 3m glaze, for fill, then rejex.
Isn't the 3M hand/machine glaze meant to be used in place of a wax on a freshly painted surface? So wouldn't REJEX be used in place of the glaze if you want durability? My first "professional" attempt was;

1) Wash
2) Clay Bar
3) 3M Finesse-It 2 Fine Cut rubbing compound
4) 3M Finesse-It 2 Swirl Mark Remover
5) Rejex
6) 2nd coat of Rejex

Next time around I will skip the rubbing compound and swirl mark remover if I'm careful washing the car. Hopefully I won't need to use the rubbing compound again and maybe once a year only I'll use the swirl mark remover. FYI. The first time I tried REJEX was after a straight wash and the car looked awesome (obviously not as good as it does now) and had I not stripped the finish with DAWN and rubbing compound, the paint would still be shiny now (6 1/2 months later and at least 10 washes)
Old 08-14-2004, 04:35 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Isn't the 3M hand/machine glaze meant to be used in place of a wax on a freshly painted surface? So wouldn't REJEX be used in place of the glaze if you want durability? My first "professional" attempt was;

1) Wash
2) Clay Bar
3) 3M Finesse-It 2 Fine Cut rubbing compound
4) 3M Finesse-It 2 Swirl Mark Remover
5) Rejex
6) 2nd coat of Rejex

Next time around I will skip the rubbing compound and swirl mark remover if I'm careful washing the car. Hopefully I won't need to use the rubbing compound again and maybe once a year only I'll use the swirl mark remover. FYI. The first time I tried REJEX was after a straight wash and the car looked awesome (obviously not as good as it does now) and had I not stripped the finish with DAWN and rubbing compound, the paint would still be shiny now (6 1/2 months later and at least 10 washes)
Jason,
Sound nice. I think it is recommended to glaze after any abrasive (smr) to fill any remaining impressions. Thus providing as flawless a surface as possible before applying the final coat of Rejex. Inasmuch as Rejex has no cleaning power it is essential to get your surface as smooth and flawless as possible before application. Works fer me. However, you can always give Barry a call, he is the expert after all.
Keep up the good work soldier.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:53 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Geeze, whatever happened to throwing some kerosene in a bucket of water and washing with that...worked for the oldtime fire engines....

Quick Reply: 3m swirl mark remover...