Sponsored by:

OT, need help finding nokia 8890 cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 03:27 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Post OT, need help finding nokia 8890 cell phone

i live in the u.s.a. and would like to buy a nokia 8890.
they are not for sale here, and i csnt seem to find one for sale on the nokia web site.

i was wondering if anyone from outside the usa knows if they are for sale in their country and might help me buy one.

thanks
drkgar@msn.com
Old 05-07-2003, 04:56 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't buy it - it's junk.

I have one of these and it's not up to the same Nokia quality as their other phones. I live in Hong Kong and this phone is about 2 model years old. Not sure if new ones are still available but used ones are; used ones go for about $75-100(a reseller offered me $75 for mine). I'd sell you mine except that I'd be afraid it would break down on you.

Why the interest in this particular phone - are you looking for a phone what will roam overseas? IMO there are better Nokia phones to get - I'd get the 6100 if I were you.

In any case, I could probably help you out as I should be returning to the US later this month. btw, phones sold here are not locked so are not as subsidized as they are in the US...tell me what you are looking for and I'll let you know how much it will cost.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:12 AM
ksimpson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, I have one too and the technology is very old at this stage - no WAP or GPRS for example. Better to go for one of Nokia's more modern world phones or wait until they replace the 8890. It looks good, but is very expensive for what you get.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
I agree they are old tech and expensive, but quality is fine. I paid a ridiculous price when they first came out. On the other hand, it is a neat switch to a prepaid GSM chip when I travel to Europe, and fits nicely in the 993 driver's door pocket shelf. I bought mine at the local Cingular wireless store, and called Nokia for the unlock code - no charge.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Terry Adams:
<strong>I agree they are old tech and expensive, but quality is fine. I paid a ridiculous price when they first came out. On the other hand, it is a neat switch to a prepaid GSM chip when I travel to Europe, and fits nicely in the 993 driver's door pocket shelf. I bought mine at the local Cingular wireless store, and called Nokia for the unlock code - no charge.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I agree with Terry,

I have the same phone (I've had it for a while and I ain't 'updating' anytime soon) and while the later phones might have gprs, waps, pinball machines, bathrooms & whatever 'must have' crap if you travel & actually talk with your phone every now and then, it's a good phone and looks really cool, has aluminum shell etc.
Not like these modern 'cartoon phones', this one has class.
8890 IMO is like 993, quite old tech, doesn't have the latest stuff that what new cars have but sure looks good and works like a dream!
Has the right feel.

Terry,

I'm going to Europe in about a month and will be in Finland also for a week.
If you want & if we can somehow arrange this, I can get one of those for you (I want to check first if they still sell them but since it's Finland where I'm looking from, I would think so).
Old 05-07-2003, 11:42 AM
ksimpson
Racer

As far as I know, the 8890 is still a current Nokia model in Europe so you shouldn't have any trouble getting one in Finland. However, Finland is not very cheap, regardless of whether they make them there.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ksimpson:
<strong>As far as I know, the 8890 is still a current Nokia model in Europe so you shouldn't have any trouble getting one in Finland. However, Finland is not very cheap, regardless of whether they make them there.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Ken is correct. i.e. Rapala fish lures are wayy cheaper here than in Finland...
Old 05-07-2003, 05:17 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought mine new on Ebay a year & a half ago. Paid way to much (about 6 bills if I remember right)but they weren't available in Dallas for 6 months after I got mine. I wanted something small that I would keep in my pocket. It's been OK. I am currently having screen problems & the "9" is going on my keypad. I'll probably just replace the screen/keypad & keep on going with it as I really do like the size.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts
An alternative if you go to the same country/region frequently: When you arrive, buy a cheap phone with a prepaid chip, say $50 worth. Downside is you have to buy new minutes on that phone annually to keep the same # with the chip they sell you, and you have to carry 2 phones.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:35 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
I have the Nokia 6800 right now. It's a bit bigger and heavier but it is way easier to use for SMS and email. And it has a loudspeaker function which really works well if you need to hold a conference call in a pinch.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 05-07-2003, 05:43 PM
deep_purple
Instructor

Cell phone choice is a personal one, but if I may, I'd recommend an Ericsson t39. It has been discontinued, but you can find it online. I paid over $200 for it a year ago and have used it in the US and in Europe just by changing the SIM card. The size is comparable to the Nokia except for the antenna.

Here's the 8890 for $370 - no affiliation or experience with this particular store:

<a href="http://www.digitalbynet.com/nok88gsmworp.html" target="_blank">One store</a>

Cheers,
ST