Sponsored by:

Stereo upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 12:16 AM
TRW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stereo upgrade options

I just purchased a 95 C2. It is in the process of being transported so I haven't spent much time in it yet. I would like a CD changer in it. It currently has a cassette player with Hi-Fi sound. The installed system is the CR-1 and the manual states that it is compatiable with a 6 disc CD changer (CDC-1). Is this a good choice or should I replace the head unit and get a non-Porsche system? I don't plan on changing the speakers. Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:01 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
factory head unit is junk; speakers are junk. don't get a CD changer, get an in-dash 6CD head unit and a phatbox.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:49 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with David, the factory head unit is pretty crappy.

I recently swapped out the becker head unit and cd changer for an alpine and it is significantly better. I already had upgraded speakers so am not sure about the factory speakers.

There are a ton of previous threads on this topic by folks much more knowledgeable about stereos. Also, give Rod Birch a call at <a href="http://www.caraudioinnovations.com" target="_blank">www.caraudioinnovations.com</a> and he will steer you in the right direction.

Skip
Old 05-07-2003, 11:00 AM
S3
Instructor

Got the stock system. Sounds ok, but not up to standard.

Looking into speaker upgrade, headunit uppgrade and amplifier. Any sugestions as to what works well in the 993? Also wondering about speaker size for front (including tweeters) and back.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:38 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
S3 -

I just went through the whole thing and played with many ideas. I had the becker head unit/cd changer w/ an alpine amp and it sounded ok.

I changed out the whole system becuase I wanted MP3 and XM capability, so I went with Alpine. I put in the CDA-9815 with matching MP3 CD changer w/ XM. This head unit puts out about 4x60 watts and blows away the becker OEM unit.

I have some MBQuarts up front w/ separate tweeter and Boston Acoustics in the rear (they stand up about 1". These speakers were in the car when I bought it 4 years ago, so I'm not sure of their sizes, but they do sound good.

Again, Rod Birch specializes in PCar stereo systems. Check out his web site and give him a call - he is more than willing to talk with you even if you don't buy from him.

-Skip
Old 05-07-2003, 08:42 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

I went with an Alpine 7998 head, Focal 165W3's in front, the 136W's wouldn't fit in the back, too deep, a pair of HiFonics amplifiers and a pair of 10" Image Dynamics subs, and the Alpine 6 disc changer.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:43 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

I went with an Alpine 7998 head, Focal 165W3's in front, the 136W's wouldn't fit in the back, too deep, a pair of HiFonics amplifiers and a pair of 10" Image Dynamics subs, and the Alpine 6 disc changer.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:13 AM
DrZ
Racer

Finally got my gear together (primarily from eBay). Next week will be installing Dynaudio System 360 consisting of 8"drivers in the door panels, mid-range and tweeters custom mounted in the kick panels. Nakamichi cd700 is the head unit, Power amp is a Brax 2000 which will be racked in the trunk with the cross overs parallel to the gas tank. Conceptually, the enhanced imaging from the kick placement and dampening of the doors will obviate the need for rear speakers or a subwoofer. Woofers will go down to 35Hz. with plently of headroom from the high current 400W Brax. Car is a Cab with stock HI-Fi option. Don't know how it will ultimately sound once installed especially with top down, but no effort was spared in the planning.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:16 PM
Hunter '97 tt
Track Day

Yellow C4S-

I just purchased 165w-3 to install in my tt with the hi-fi set-up. Rod Birch advises me that it will take some serious custom work to mount the mid and that the TL-51 tweeter will not fit in the factory tweeter location. He's never mounted a Focal 3-way in a 993, hi-fi or not. Rod then suggested I opt for the 165w 2-way, mounting the tweeter in the current mid's location. As others have said, Rod was very helpful even though I didn't buy my gear from him. Before I return the Utopia 3 way for a 2 way, I would like to know how yours are mounted.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:30 AM
DrZ
Racer

A competent installer that is familiar with hi-end gear can install a 3-way system in a 993. Hi-fi enclosure is preferable. I went with Dyns over Focal for two reasons. Firstly I liked their sound better, and secondly, the shallow profile self-sealed design of the mid and tweeter allowed for relatively straight forward kick panel placement. This set up can create imaging similar or even better than a home system. I picked up an extra set of panels for $50 at LA Dismantlers. A 3-way will sound significantly better than a 2-way but placement and installation of the drivers is of paramount importance to achieve this advantage. This is not generally a DIY. To go this route you need to find a first rate installer. I bought all my components on eBay, Speaker Works in Orange is doing the install at $75/h
Old 05-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DrZ,
Is your installer custom building kick panels for you? If not, have you been able to find something that will work in the 993?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:54 PM
DrZ
Racer

Rick the plan is to modify the extra set that I provided and either recover them with vinyl or paint finished fabrication. Again the Dyns work well because of their minimal depth requirement. There is very little room behind the panels particularly the drivers side, Focals I think would be more challenging.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:54 PM
DrZ
Racer

Rick the plan is to modify the extra set that I provided and either recover them with vinyl or paint finished fabrication. Again the Dyns work well because of their minimal depth requirement. There is very little room behind the panels particularly the drivers side, Focals I think would be more challenging.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:55 PM
DrZ
Racer

Old 05-09-2003, 05:15 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

6x9 MB Quarts in rear, Don't buy them unless you plan on buying another rear deck cover. I bought an extra rear deck cover and cut the holes for the 6x9's put a 3/4" solid rubber strip across the back and the speakers clear the lower metal deck by 1/4"-1/2" no obstruction out the rear window looks nearly the same. Otherwise the speakers look stock if you decide to do this be very careful and take your time it would be a PIA to ruin a rear deck. The rear deck I bought to use was used for $300.00.

The front speakers are stock HiFi and the Head Unit is a JVC CD/CDR I bought a Blaupunkt 4 x 50w CD/CDR head unit to put in. I do not have an aftermarket amp and the stereo is more than loud enough.

Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade options