Shorter Gear Ratios

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 04:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,969 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
I spoke to Steve and will continue as he suggested: keep the current 5th as 6th to so as to avoid to big a rev difference.
Steve is very knowledgeable, and I recommend anybody considering this modification to contact Steve for advice.
I think that is wise. I think the original 5th gear is plenty tall enough, unless you live in Germany and drive on the autobahn at over 150mph for extended periods
Old 08-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil,

What Steve suggests makes great sense if you care about 6th gear at the track. However, for a street car, it makes more sense to ingnore the "big" rev difference as irrelevant. The rev difference makes a difference in acceleration. For cruising down the highway would not matter.

I wish I had thought of this when my car was re-geared. I never came close to needing to shift to 6th at the track when I tracked the car. I would like a low rpm cruiser for good gas mileage on the highway.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:11 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom,
May I ask what gear ratios you opted for?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:48 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The variant that Steve is sending to me, is at the moment kind of hard for me to imagine. I think that changing the gear ratios, together with the LWF "adjustment" will make the same impression on me that driving the new 997 did. If anything, it might even be better due to the gearing.

It is roughly the same improvement over the RoW gearbox, that the RoW gearbox is to the US version. When I went over to the RoW version on my old 993, I was really impressed at the improvement.

If you look at these graphics Viken, I think, made:

993 Transmission

You can see that the steeper the lines (shorter the ratios), the smaller the rev drop when accelerating through the gears. The lower the top speed, but the greater the acceleration.

Should be able to make a first report in about 10 days, I hope. (Can hardly wait... )
Old 08-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil, Send me an email at tomllama@comcast.net and I'll send my Excel spreadsheet that has the ratios in it. I left the ratio selection to Rothsport. In hindsight, the only change I migh make is to leave 6th as an 'overdrive/cruiser' gear for the street as it was never used on the track.

Quick Reply: Shorter Gear Ratios