Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Comments on Carrera GT owners (Seinfeld) being poseurs and silly twits?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004 | 11:36 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Default OT: Comments on Carrera GT owners (Seinfeld) being poseurs and silly twits?!

Did you guy's see this letter in Car and Driver's 9/04 issue"? I quote: "I'll bet they didn't tell you the engineer's internal code name for the Carerra GT project was "Seinfeld." That's engineer shorthand for the initial product brief, identifying the target buyer for a half-million-dollar pseudo race car that will never race competitively, but instead will wind up in a very rich poseur's car collection, which he will show off with a half-throttle blast down the freeway on Sunday afternoon. That's why they made the roof removeable, so the silly twit can be seen by his adoring, drooling fans.

If it were my $448,400, I'd get a race-prepped Porsche GT3, a Cayenne Turbo tow car, and all the pro racing schools I could find. I'd have a lot more fun on the track racing similar cars and a couple of hundred thousand left for other fun stuff" <end quote>

I found the above letter to be a shocking perspective. Another letter in this issue questions why someone would pay a $300,000 premium over the Ford GT to own the Carrera GT with similar performance and racing heritage. He mentions that the Ford GT tops the Carrera GT from 0-60 (3.3 seconds versus 3.5), ties it from 5-60 (3.7) and only fractionally loses out to the Carrera in the 1/4 mi and 0-100mph. He says at $150k the Ford GT is a bargain compared to the Carrera GT, and that Ford defeats Porsche again, just like at Le Mans.

OUCH!

Anyone care to ad their thoughts to this discussion? It seemed kind of harsh to me...

Steve
Old 08-06-2004 | 11:48 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, but did they mention...IT"S A FORD! kneee nerrrr kneee nerrr kneee nerrr!

I'll go test drive both this weekend and decide
Old 08-07-2004 | 01:27 AM
993RS
Race Car

I hate to say this, but if I had to choose between the Carrera GT and the Ford GT40, I'd pick the Ford GT40
Ford GT40

Nobody will ever accuse a GT40 of being a rich poseurs car....
Old 08-07-2004 | 01:39 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

I saw Seinfeld "show off with a half-throttle blast down the (banking at Daytona) on Sunday afternoon" at Rennsport Reunion in his 917.

No **** it was built for rich guys who won't race it, but collect it. Who does he think is buying all the Enzos and Lambos? Sounds like extremely sour grapes from the letter writer.
Old 08-07-2004 | 01:49 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

That is such crap. Why do some people think that they can dictate to everybody else, the reasons for owning a particular car. If Seinfeld wants a Carerra GT for the purpose of rolling it off a cliff...that’s his choice. If he wants to race it, that’s his choice too. I guess because it’s a Porsche...it’s HAS to be tracked or raced...please, give me a break. I’ll do whatever I damn well please with my car and others don’t like it, they’ll get over it. It’s MY car, I paid for it, and I have it for MY pleasure, NOT somebody else’s. Personally, I think the guy who tracks/races their car because of “peer pressure” is the biggest poser of all.
Old 08-07-2004 | 02:31 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, Allen, what do you really think?? LOL
Old 08-07-2004 | 03:07 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Allen
Personally, I think the guy who tracks/races their car because of “peer pressure” is the biggest poser of all.
Allen,

I need you in my corner.

CP
Old 08-07-2004 | 03:15 AM
nman413
Drifting

:P

CP, you should come out Monday and get a ride with Bob. No pressure, it's just fun
Old 08-07-2004 | 04:05 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Way to go Allen! I like a guy that speaks his mind. And your name ain't bad either. Everyone has their particular needs and who are we to say othewise.
ASG
Alan
Old 08-07-2004 | 11:23 AM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just drove the Ford GT yesterday -- amazing torque -- a bit cramped and a harsh ride particulary as compared to our cars. I haven't driven the Carerra GT but my guess is it's more comfortable.
Old 08-07-2004 | 01:00 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How many times did Ford win at Le Mans????
How many times did Porsche win at Le Mans???

Personally, I think the writer of the second letter in Car and Driver had a bug up his **** too!!!

I find the Ford GT to be an amazing car (the original and the new version). Would I like to have one? You bet. Would I sell one of my Porsche's (or two) to have one? No....
No one should go tearing into other peoples tastes and the way they want to 'use' THEIR car. Like Allen said, if they want to drive it off a cliff, so be it. It belongs to them so they could do what they please with it.

Remember: Different strokes for different folks.

JoAnne

PS: Jerry does tracks some of his cars and shows others. What is the big deal
with Jerry? He's just a normal guys with lots of $$$$. If you didn't know who he was, you'd think he was like any other Porsche fanatic. Really.
Old 08-07-2004 | 04:21 PM
Derrick B.
Racer

I hate crap like that. Had a friend with a Mustang Cobra (the 390hp supercharged one) and he'd go on about 'bang for the buck,' 'dollar per hp' and stuff like that. He couldn't understand why I'd choose my 993 over his stupid Mustang. He was offended that I didn't share his 'taste' in cars.

Each to his own.

Oh, and if Sienfeld is a poseur twit, then I wanna be one too!

One more thing. The guy talking about how he'd spend his $400k is missing the point. They guys who buy CGT's don't have JUST $400k to spend. How many Porsche's does Sienfeld have? Twenty? Thirty? Puh-leeez.
Old 08-07-2004 | 05:08 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

the implication that jerry seinfeld is a poseur, seems like a silly one. now, i don't know seinfeld any more than the silly twit that wrote the letter; but i suspect he has some passion to go along with his many machines. i know a few porsche guys that include some who actually professionally race them and others who sell them-- and i'm sure, me included, that none of us have more than a fraction of the knowledge that jerry seinfeld has about porsche's history and their products.

so...what's a poseur anyway?
Old 08-07-2004 | 05:30 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

From: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Did you guy's see this letter in Car and Driver's 9/04 issue"? I quote: "I'll bet they didn't tell you the engineer's internal code name for the Carerra GT project was "Seinfeld." That's engineer shorthand for the initial product brief, identifying the target buyer for a half-million-dollar pseudo race car that will never race competitively, but instead will wind up in a very rich poseur's car collection, which he will show off with a half-throttle blast down the freeway on Sunday afternoon. That's why they made the roof removeable, so the silly twit can be seen by his adoring, drooling fans.

If it were my $448,400, I'd get a race-prepped Porsche GT3, a Cayenne Turbo tow car, and all the pro racing schools I could find. I'd have a lot more fun on the track racing similar cars and a couple of hundred thousand left for other fun stuff" <end quote>

Two things struck me with this.

1.) What is so bad about the nickname 'Seinfeld' for the Carrera GT?? I mean, if you stop and think about it, what they are saying is that they were designing a car for a customer that is a true Porsche enthusiast, and loves almost everything 'Porsche'. It is quite obvious that Seinfeld is a huge Porsche collector, and appreciates the Carrera GT for what it is: an amazing performance car that just so happens to be a Porsche.

2.) The customer that can buy the Carrera GT can most likely go out and buy the race-prepped GT3 and Cayenne Twin Turbo tow vehicle without batting an eye. Just a thought.
Old 08-07-2004 | 06:35 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Seinfeld is hardly a poseur. He is fanatical about Porsches and knows much more about the company, the cars, and the history than most. God bless him! I wish I had his collection!

Quick Reply: OT: Comments on Carrera GT owners (Seinfeld) being poseurs and silly twits?!