Sponsored by:

A real "rumble" at Buttonwillow Oct 1->3. Post your interest

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 01:11 AM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, battery. Should be good to go for Monday @ T-hill.

Kim on a track break?? HA! That'll happen.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:22 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis: Look for the Turtle on Monday. I'm heading out Sunday and am looking forward to a day of fun.

Arnaud: Hmmm. Arnaud has a C4S, if it's a 993 and it's Pin's fault, what's Pin driving? Please tell me its not another of those pesky me-otters! We just broke John of that bad habit and are working on Kim to come back from the dark side.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:53 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Hmmm...you're the 4th person to say something like that...
Come on Kim, just sign up...besides I owe you a dinner

Kim, you can fall off the wagon for...just one more track day...you know the saying....I'll quit next week...
Old 09-19-2004, 03:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

just a bump to the top. I adjusted my shocks, checked my brakes, and adjusted air pressure. I'm about as ready as I can be. Let's go Rennlisters... time is running out.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:35 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil cooler is on. Now to fix the suspension.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Aaron Bitterman
4th Gear

Default ye olde Rumble

Greetings. Thanks everyone for signing up. I wanted to reply to some of the questions posted here re. convertibles, rollbars, insurance, timing, etc.

But first of all, we've got 26 Porsches signed up and only 14 people on the RENNLISTLIST. We usually get around 10 Porsche's at our Buttonwillow events, so I guess it's possible that the missing 12 were random signups, but I doubt it. Unless you've already emailed me, it would be much easier for me to discount you guys before I run cards if possible, rather than having to give you cash back at the track the day of.

Also, if I accidentally charged you too much, and you happen to notice , just let me know.

CONVERTIBLES: we allow convertibles without roll protection at Buttonwillow. I don't like to see convertibles without roll protection going off track however. Not that I like to see any kind of cars going off track, but we tend to notice the rollbar-less convertibles. At Willow Springs, track rules don't permit cars without roll protection, so that may have been where the rules got confused. At Willow the stock popups are allowed, however, fyi.

TIMING: we do post times, under your real or false name. We have run 42 events in 3 years and have had 1 car to car incident. We have an excellent safety record and I don't believe posting the times, etc. increases the chances of reckless driving. I feel like I had to say that given an earlier post I read.

INSURANCE: as mentioned earlier in the thread, different insurance companies have different rules. Some won't cover you if you're at the track, period. Others will, no matter what you do, as long as your car is not a "race car". Some will cover you as long as you're not "competing". Some won't if you're being timed (I've heard, but never had direct experience with this situation). It really depends. Speed Ventures events are multifaceted: we have a Drivers Education component with instructors and a morning classroom session for beginners, etc., we have a lapping/DE component, and we also have competitive time trials and wheel to wheel racing. As far as timing goes, I view it primarily as a learning tool. If you're worried about insurance, ask your carrier if you're covered for a DE event and whether you can be timed or not (though not competing necessarily!). If they say you cannot be timed, then do not use a transponder, obviously, if you're worried about it. If you're really worried, then tell them everything that's going on at the event you will be attending and see what they have to say .

That's it. No more rambling.

I hope to hear from you guys with your full, real names if possible. My email is aaron@speedventures.net. I look forward to meeting you all and seeing your cars, it should be a very interesting rumble indeed.

Aaron Bitterman
Speed Ventures, aaron@speedventures.net
323-461-4795
Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Aaron,

Thanks for posting and clearing up the roll bar thing. At least one of our group chickened out for that very reason.

I have another question: is it possible to take a passenger out with me? With an instructor? During "parade laps" at the lunch break? Hopefully, my 17 year-old son will come out with me, and I know he'd love to get a ride on the track. At speed would be great, but even parade laps would be better than nothing. Oh... I guess I should also ask... do you have loaner helmets?

Thanks again for the perks. I look forward to meeting you.

I'm already thinking about California Speedway. Gadzooks; what an amazing facility!
Old 09-21-2004, 02:19 AM
nman413
Drifting

Aaron, I guess I'm in for Saturday and Sunday. I'm in meetings all day tomorrow so cant sign up right away but will do so by Wednesday.

Who is driving down Friday? Would love to caravan as I get lost easily.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Aaron Bitterman
4th Gear

ca993twin: Passengers are allowed in all sessions, all day long, so that's not a problem. As far as minors go, you and your son will have to sign parental consent forms for him to ride along. I'd prefer you took it easy with him in the car, but he can ride with you during the sessions.

We only have a couple loaner helmets, so it's best to bring an extra motorcycle helmet or something for your passengers if you can't find another SA helmet.

Cal Speedway is an amazing track. We won't have a chicane in place - so you've got to be careful with your speed through the banking of course!!

I look forward to meeting you as well.

Jauder, glad to hear you'll probably make it. Make sure you email me your full name after you sign up so I get you down for the discount.

Thanks guys.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:02 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm in for Friday and Saturday
Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Hi Folks.... I am looking forward to the event at Buttonwillow. A number of you have asked me to bring along some specific Pagid or factory brake pads. I normally carry a bunch of extras along with fluid. If anyone else wants any specific items (pads, rotors, race slicks, whatever....) please let me know and I will do my best to bring it along to the track...... I'm looking forward to a great weekend.. Thanks Steve for trying to get this together. (The North will be kicking b#$% BTW on the South )

Old 09-23-2004, 12:03 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Kim, you have a larger inventory of ANYTHING Porsche related compared to any of my distributors....
Old 09-23-2004, 01:21 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Kim, you have a larger inventory of ANYTHING Porsche related compared to any of my distributors....
Kim is actually an offsite wharehouse for the Monterey Porsche dealer. He just hasn't told us yet
Old 09-23-2004, 01:24 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Kim you will join us then?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:30 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Bob, bring me some decent front brake pads. Use your judgement... I seemed to have cooked my stock pads pretty good at Willow Springs (no fade... just crispy critters). But I don't think I'd like squeal or too much rotor wear. Some happy medium, if there is such a thing. If a doofus can do it, I can probably keep a set of dedicated race pads, and swap to stock pads for street use... but I'm not only a doofus, I'm lazy. Shall we replace the sensors while we're in there? I'm tired of looking at that warning light.

Quick Reply: A real "rumble" at Buttonwillow Oct 1->3. Post your interest