Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A real "rumble" at Buttonwillow Oct 1->3. Post your interest

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:04 AM
SDemas
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom W-964 is running...don't want you to be the only one out there having fun in a 964.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:56 AM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did we ever get any clarification re: insurance and timing about this event? I don't remember hearing about an outcome.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:31 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Some insurance has a specific exclusion if you have your car on a track in a "timed or competitive event". In that event, you may still be covered if you are not participating in having your car timed. This event is a time trial, and they provide transponders for rental to record your times. You may not win that argument with your insurance company... or you may need an attorney to help with that argument.

Other insurance companies take a harder line, and do not insure any cars at any track events anywhere, anytime. I've even heard ancedotal stories of people that called their insurance company to inquire, and were cancelled for even asking the question.

Bottom line, read your exclusions, read the event description, ask the organizers about their experiences, and decide for yourself.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:00 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I am going in under the Only Clintonian thing I ever agreed with:
Dont ask Dont Tell!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:04 PM
nman413
Drifting

Maybe I'll just drive slow.

Oh, wait. I do that already.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:24 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. I've signed up (all 3 days). I'm going to go to Thunderhill on the 20th for "tune-up" as it's been too long since I drove (must be at least 6 weeks).

Harry: That's not a 964, it's a Frankenstein. I don't expect I'll be able to stay close for more than 2-3 turns (but that wont stop me from trying).

Jauder: I haven't been able to pass a tt yet this year. I know it will never be Bob, Jeff gave me a point by as he stepped on the gas after turn 5 at Laguna Seca (all I could do is laugh and wonder in what life-time that pass was going to happen). Maybe I'll get to pass you? Oh, wait - Pete gave me a point by on the main straight at Laguna (he then lifted and took a coffee break before I got past, only to have him pass me back when I was 1/2 way through my 360 after turn 6 ).
Old 09-13-2004, 03:17 AM
hdemas
Instructor

Tom: 964 is behaving itself so far. Plan is my younger brother will take it out as he's a student and cruise around in it. I'll split my time between it and the 993. It's been several months since I've driven, so I'll just be cruising also. I hate buttonwillow, but it should be good practice in advance of Sears at the end of the month.

Bob: Yeah, hopefully I'll make it this time. I'm looking forward to seeing you and everyone else at the track.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:45 AM
nman413
Drifting

I have to wait till the date gets closer before I decide.

Tom, I pointed Kim (in the Miata) by but he pointed me back. Does that count? Nobody else has a Turbo or Porsche on the track anymore it seems (besides Bob that is and I'm not playing with him). Oleg was at the last event but we didnt seem to be on track at the same time ever. I think I have to go get me a Spec Miata now.

You should have seen Bob at the last event, I had to pull in (instructor bathroom break, I kid you not) right as he caught me at Turn 15. I got a very dirty look as I pulled in
Old 09-13-2004, 01:01 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I just got the green light from "Upper Management".
I think I'm going to make it. I'm world famous for pointing Miata's by, so you guys will have some practice.....
I run in intermediate, so Bob should not be on the track with me unless he is sitting in my car
I just need to contact the event planner and get the 411 on the timing insurance thing.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:13 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,766 Likes on 2,363 Posts

jauder,

"Nobody else has a Turbo or Porsche on the track anymore it seems "

did i blow by you way too fast so you didn't see i was in a porsche as well...
oh, sorry, i got it, my p car has radiator in it.... not a REAL porsche!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:46 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by icerbofh
I had to pull in (instructor bathroom break, I kid you not) right as he caught me at Turn 15. I got a very dirty look as I pulled in
So that is what he told you huh??? Maybe you just scared him.....

John - He is just rationalizing buying a Spec Miata... Reality does not connect with his current thought process.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:54 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,766 Likes on 2,363 Posts

bob,

So that is what he told you huh??? Maybe you just scared him.....
________
that's a good one.
jauder must be more DARING than i ;-)

John - He is just rationalizing buying a Spec Miata... Reality does not connect with his current thought process.
_______
do not overestimate him. he's a consultant. they don't THINK.... LOL.
they only OVERCHARGE.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:49 PM
nman413
Drifting

Actually, I do think but just about random stuff. Problem is I'm just good at options and not decisions

Guess you have to ask Mark if I scared him, he wasnt screaming so I assumed not. :P

John, forgot you were there too

Scott, let me know what you find out...
Old 09-13-2004, 08:32 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rumbilians:

If you want to stay at the same motel with all the Rennlist loonies, Speed Ventures has arranged a special group rate ($38/nite + tax) if you mention Speed Ventures. Super 8 is (661)764-5117. Bring your ear plugs. I'm reserved for Friday & Saturday nights.

Jauder:

Just show up already. Get registered. Fast. We need you. Your team needs you.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:38 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

OK guys, I did it! I am now signed up and have reserved a room at the luxurious Super8. I figure if everyone else isnt going to get any sleep, I cant be the exception

I requested an instructor, (been there so many times chassis testing, but never driven the track) but looking back through this thread, I should not have since I am hoping to take advantage in using one of our 'own' instructors. Wonder if I can change my registration?

Anyhow, since the PCA autox this Sunday was cancelled, I was able to 'justify' the expense with upper management (lovely wifey(as Scott M put it)) thankfully.

Cant wait to meet more Rennlisters!

Quick Reply: A real "rumble" at Buttonwillow Oct 1->3. Post your interest