Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use to lubricate input shaft when replacing clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 12:46 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Post What to use to lubricate input shaft when replacing clutch?

I will be pulling my engine to fix what I hope is corrosion on my input shaft, which is causing my clutch to hang up. I have been planning this for a while, and have all my parts lined up, except for one thing:

The factory manuals call for a german product called Optimol olista longtime 3EP (sold thru castrol in the US), which is a long lasting, anti-corrosive lubricant that is applied to the input shaft to prevent corrosion (which I think I have). Unfortunately, after much searching, only one place in the US sells it, and their smallest size is a 5 gallon pale @ $130. I have requested a sample, with no luck.

What have you guys used, or, what have your mechanics used? I'd really like to stick witht the factory specs, but am not having much luck.

I'm going to take lots of pictures and write up a DIY for Robin's site for those who'd like to tackle a clutch job in the future.

Thanks!
David
Old 08-01-2001, 02:49 AM
My Q Ship
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi David,

What you want IS the factory stuff( Optimol HT). Any local dealer should have this stuff in stock. The tube it comes in is approx. 8-10 oz.( should run you about $20-$25). Just a word of caution- Don't over do it on the lubing, a small amount between your fingers a couple of times on the splines is enough( and a dab on the end of the shaft that contacts the pilot bearing), otherwise it gets thrown around and ends up on the clutch disc surface( even with the small cup/groove that's built into the disc).

Good luck!
Old 08-01-2001, 02:53 AM
My Q Ship
Intermediate

David,

My mistake on the lube, It IS optimol HP( high pressure)& NOT optimol HT( high temp.). Sorry 'bout the confusion.

Seeya,
Q
Old 08-01-2001, 12:55 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Q,
Do you know of any dealers that sell the stuff? I've tried 5 so far, and none have it, or even know about it. Most have said they just put antisieze compound on the shaft.

David
Old 08-01-2001, 02:34 PM
Pete @ Andial
Intermediate

David,

The part # is 000.043.024.00. This should only be a day away for most dealers if the have to order it. DON'T put antisieze on the splines, with time it will thicken up and you'll be right back where you started( clutch dissengagement problems). Just so you have it the part # for the HT is 000.043.004.00.

I'm posting from work so it comes up as Pete.

Q
Old 08-01-2001, 03:00 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Thanks Pete,
I just found a tube of it at Scottsdale Porsche for $25, and bought it. I'll definately keep the part number for future use, although this tube will probably last a lifetime (does the stuff stay good indefinately?).

I am amazed at how many bid dealers had no clue what this stuff even was, or that it existed. And, at how many use antisieze to do the same job when it can lead to problems. Thanks for the advice--I gave up on checking the dealers a while back--the sixth was a charm!

David
Old 08-01-2001, 05:02 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Pete I'm trying to keep track so far I have you posting under pete@andial, pete 911 air and my Q ship whos the real pete from andial? Once before we had this problem of all board members saying you were not the real pete from andial will the real pete from andial please stand up. Do any of yall have some thing for my old crude outdated no tech pushrod *** strapping V8 motor
SWAMP MONSTER
Old 08-01-2001, 06:36 PM
Pete @ Andial
Intermediate

Hi George,

My name is Kevin Kelly and I work with Pete @ Andial. My usual post name is My Q Ship. I didn't have part #'s at home last night so I had to post from work this morning. Sorry about the confusion.

Q

Quick Reply: What to use to lubricate input shaft when replacing clutch?