Sponsored by:

Products to keep the interiour looking spiffy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 08:50 PM
cstreetdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Products to keep the interiour looking spiffy

What do you guys use for protecting the interior of your cars. I searched the archives and found a few messages for and a few against armor all. Any recommendations. I am going to use lexol on the leather.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:13 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

I had to replace the side bolster on my 993 driver seat. Doing this put me in touch with a local Upholstery Guru who did much work on high-end automobiles. He was adamant about not using any chemicals on the leather in the car. He recommended soap and water (sparingly) and then drying with a terry cloth towel. His comment was that many products "burn or glaze" the leather in the car. He felt that many of the leather cleaners and polishes contained chemicals that darkened and burned the leather over time. I wont say what I was using at the time but he maintained that even this well known brand was not as good as a gentle clean. The point he made was; "leather is skin and would you cover yourself with BRAND X and burnish it in with a cloth?". I will submit to more expert opinion but he convinced me.

As for the vinyl he said a damp cloth worked just fine.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:17 PM
Rohan Nath
Racer

"leather is skin and would you cover yourself with BRAND X and burnish it in with a cloth?"

Most women I know spend a small fortune covering their skin with a variety of expensive chemicals. I don't know about the long-term effect but they do appear to have a positive short-term impact.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:28 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

CStreetDude,

I'm in the anti-ArmorAll camp. It has silicone in it and its use can result in harming the things you're trying to protect.

Personally, I use 303 to protect the vinyl and plastic, and Lexol to protect the leather.

Here's a site that describes car care products and methods: http://www.carcareonline.com

I'm not affiliate with Larry Reynolds or Car Care Online other than being a satisfied customer.

Good luck!

-- Melissa
Car Care Online web page
Old 07-30-2001, 09:34 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

The point he made was; "leather is skin and would you cover yourself with BRAND X and burnish it in with a cloth?".
Garey, your gentleman may be absolutely correct, but as a dermatologist, I feel compelled to chime in here.

For human skin, simple well-designed moisturizers (not the over-perfumed junk they sell at Bath & Body Works, or the overpriced stuff in tiny little bottles) are actually quite beneficial. As you age, you no longer produce adequate natural oils. As a result, your skin dries and becomes more susceptible to tearing, bruising, etc.

I would imagine that a cow's "natural oil production" also decreases when his skin is borrowed to make a pretty automotive interior .

Therefore, the leather has nowhere to go but down once the cow is not around to biologically replenish the skin's needed oils. Common sense would suggest that these oils need to be replaced from time to time to keep the leather moisturized and supple.

Again, I'm a dermatologist, not a veterinarian specializing in care of dead animals, but that's how the situation looks to me.
Old 07-30-2001, 10:54 PM
Chris in Detroit
Instructor

I second the "303" recommendation - apply, leave to sink in, the wipe down with a damp cloth, leaves the finish fairly matt - I hate that armor-all-shiny-finish !
Old 07-30-2001, 11:55 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with what Anir posted. Go to any Coach store and ask how they clean their leather products. They use a very mild cleanser that is immediately followed up with an oiling product that replenishes the natural oils, unlike Armor All that is mainly a silicone-based product. This will neither burn nor glaze leather. I have used Lexol on the leather seats and couches with no harmful side effects.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:11 AM
Phil O
AutoX

I've had good results with Lexol on leather and Vinylex (from the makers of Lexol) on plastic/vinyl.
Old 07-31-2001, 12:18 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
I have heard that about not using oils from a guy who worked on Rolls Royce. However, I have to agree with anir that added moisturization is beneficial; especially to a dead hide that is not prducing any of its own.
I used to use hide food, but it always felt greasy. I went to lexol, but it was always sticky, and I thought it made it look worse. My old Range Rover had connoly hides, which really didn't seem to take well to lexol.
When I dyed the interior of my old '88 911, I used leatherique's stuff, since its required in the dying process. My leather was fairly stiff from age, but the leatherique made it very soft--I've never seen anything do that. It works a little differently. First, you saturate the leather with what they call rejuvenator. It supposedly floats dirt to the surface, which you then take off with their cleaner. I'm still experimenting with it, but so far I've been really pleased. And, I like that the leather is not greasy or sticky when done. Also, I had the tiny spidery lines in my leather, and from multiple treatments, they are becoming less noticeable. Their web address is www.leatherique.com.

David
Old 07-31-2001, 12:35 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

David,

I've heard several positive comments about Leatherique from some concours-type guys. Supposedly breathes new life into old, neglected leather. Sounds a bit messy (oily), though, for routine use.

I currently use thick, white conditioners made by either:

- QDI, Inc. (4757 West Park Blvd, Suite 106-412, Plano, TX 75093, 800-227-4992) - sold as "Automobile Leather Care" in some Infiniti dealerships.

OR

- Bickmore 4 Leather Conditioner, http://www.bickmore.com/1lcp.htm . Quite honestly, I originally bought it to treat exotic skin boots, but it has always done a great job on my automotive interiors as well.
Old 07-31-2001, 01:38 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I like Eagle One Leather Conditioner. You apply it with your hand, like suntan lotion, let it soak in, and wipe off. I tried Griot's Garage Leather conditioner but did not like the smell or the greasiness. Griot's Interior Cleaner is great for the vinyl and other non-leather surfaces. After trying Vinylex (too shiny) and other vinyl treatments, I decided that simply using the Griot's cleaner and wiping dry was all that was needed. The natural look held up better in the long run, because the vinyl products start drying at varying rates, and give an uneven look. Be aware that after using any of these vinyl treatments and then leaving the car out in the hot summer sun, you will have a fog on the inside of your windows.

We're off to the Zone 8 Concour at Deer Park Winery in Escondido this Sunday with the newly acquired '97. The first time is always the hardest.
Old 07-31-2001, 05:33 AM
Tito
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any opinions out there on the stuff that comes with the Zymol kit 'leather treat'. They claim it contains collagen- ?!
Tito.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:54 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>I originally bought it to treat exotic skin boots</STRONG>
Anir, Now I can picture you riding your Duck with your freshly shined Ostrich boots!
Old 07-31-2001, 03:13 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have used Griots leather treatment and find it works great. You just apply it, wipe with a towel and your done. Takes five minutes. It has preserved the black leather in my car dispite the fact that I live in the hot sun of south florida. Their vinyl interior stuff works great also. Mike W 95 993
Old 07-31-2001, 06:08 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

EJ: Anir, Now I can picture you riding your Duck with your freshly shined Ostrich boots!
Hey EJ,

Since you're poking fun, I'll admit that I actually used an old pair of ostrich ropers for riding prior to getting some dedicated Sidi Strada cycle boots. Now I'm spooked - how did you know?

I grew up in Texas, where we'll skin anything that doesn't move fast enough and then wear it on our feet. I actually use the Bickmore for the alligator boots below - handmade by Lucchese in El Paso, Texas. I'd wanted a pair since I was a kid, and finally splurged on them last year. If it good enough for "croc", I figure it's good enough for cow.

Quick Reply: Products to keep the interiour looking spiffy