Sponsored by:

993 shifter installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 05:59 PM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 shifter installation

Hello out there - I just picked up a beautiful aluminum and leather shifter for my 95 993. Question is what is involved for the installation. I was able to get the center console off, but removing the shifter **** looks very tricky. Any suggesions? SHould I just have the dealer do it and spare myself the agony??
Old 07-30-2001, 06:43 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There were some discussion on this procedure on the old 993 discussion board.

Click on the link belowOld Rennlist board
Old 07-30-2001, 08:32 PM
Bill - Chicago
Instructor

hi J. I was thinking about getting a aluminum leather shifter also. Do you have any pic of what it looks like. Also where did you get it from. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:07 PM
993Widebody
Racer

The shifter is very easy to replace if you know what to do.

In the upper left hand corner of where the shift boot meets the console, you need to press down sharply to release the spring that is holding the boot in place. To do this, I recommend you use a large flat screw driver wrapped heavily with a rag or possibly use a sponge as to not puncture the boot or the pleather wrapping the console.
You push down somewhat hard where the boot fits under the console in the upper left corner.

Once the spring is released you can very easily push down the other three corners of the boot, and then slide the boot out. The **** will come off by pulling up where the **** fits over the shifter.

Good Luck, it is very nice addition to your interior.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:47 AM
la993 uk
Advanced

This is covered in the excellent DIY section on www.p-car.com.

Luke,
Black 993 UK
Old 07-31-2001, 09:05 AM
J Stewart
Intermediate

Originally posted by Rob of NJ - 993 Targa:
<STRONG>The shifter is very easy to replace if you know what to do.

In the upper left hand corner of where the shift boot meets the console, you need to press down sharply to release the spring that is holding the boot in place. To do this, I recommend you use a large flat screw driver wrapped heavily with a rag or possibly use a sponge as to not puncture the boot or the pleather wrapping the console.
You push down somewhat hard where the boot fits under the console in the upper left corner.

Once the spring is released you can very easily push down the other three corners of the boot, and then slide the boot out. The **** will come off by pulling up where the **** fits over the shifter.

Good Luck, it is very nice addition to your interior.</STRONG>
Thnaks - I'll give it a swing. I did see those clips but they seem nasty...i assume if I bend them I can bend them back??

Quick Reply: 993 shifter installation