993 Forum 1995-1998

You seen Mobil-1 oil in 5 quart jugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 02:02 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post You seen Mobil-1 oil in 5 quart jugs?

I hadn't seen these before; saw them when I was shopping in local Wally-Mart. Large plastic containers like an enlarged version of their 1 qt container that holds 5 quarts.

By the way, Wally-Mart price was $17.88 for this 5-quart container, and $4.47 for a single quart. 5 quart size can save you enuf for down payment on one 911 oil filter.
Old 07-14-2001, 10:16 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray,

I heard recently that Mobil was stopping this promotion in the US and not packaging them anymore in the 5 qt containers. My recommendation is to buy all of them off the shelf because that will probably be the last time you see them. I have checked with 3 local Wal Marts with no luck.

You're lucky!
Old 07-14-2001, 12:14 PM
Irish Frank
AutoX

Red face

You USA guys have it so good, price of the 4 quart container here in UK is $45!
Old 07-14-2001, 02:00 PM
Mark Buka
Instructor

Guys:

Thanks for the "heads up." I managed to find
and purchase 15W-50 at the local Wal-Mart. Yes, cost was exactly $17.88 per container here in New Jersey. At least the chain is consistent. BJ's(another wholesale chain) has oil at $3.87 per quart in a six pack.

Happy Motoring.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:49 PM
Steve in SLO
Advanced

I bought 6 jugs last week at $16.88 each, and it sounds like I'd better get more. Best thing that Wally-world has done for the P-car crowd (I'm guessing we're not their target audience ).
Old 07-15-2001, 04:28 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Question

Just a quick question,,, but any reason why folks are still running Mobil-1 instead of Amsoil?

Just curious.
Old 07-15-2001, 11:41 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Predator: Just a quick question,,, but any reason why folks are still running Mobil-1 instead of Amsoil?
OK, I'll take the bait. With all the outstanding accolades earned by Mobil-1 over the years, not to mention the factory's official endorsement, why would you use Amsoil?
Old 07-15-2001, 12:23 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
PRDATR, Mobil 1 is the best synthetic oil for the money. There are no more benefits to be had from any other oil for the same or more money.

Anir, the main reason for the factory's endorsements was because of Mobil's long-time sponsorship of its race cars. Not much different from Ferrari specifying Shell when that company is one of their main F1 sponsors. Both companies make excellent quality synthetic oils, though.
Old 07-16-2001, 02:24 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Question

Viken Bedrossian
Mobil 1 is the best synthetic oil for the money. There are no more benefits to be had from any other oil for the same or more money.
Hmmmmmmm, I did a little research here and I am not entirely sure your statement is accurate. Looked at some API Specifications that puts Mobil-1 behind several other synthetic oil manufacturers (Not just Amsoil) in many catagories and not even close to Amsoil in mutliple catagories. Case in point- "wear scar" Mobil-1 specs out 40% (yes FORTY) higher than Amsoil!!!

Amsoil seems to have exceeded the following specifications and manufacturer specs by significant margins, well ahead of Mobil-1

API SJ, SH, SG, SF, CH-4, CG-4, CF-2, CF, CD
ACEA A2, A3, B2, B3, E2, E3

Chrysler
Ford
Mercedes-Benz
Volvo
Volkswagon

...and that is for starters. Most Amsoil performance motor oils can be effectively run for up to 25,000 miles or one year, Mobil-1 only for 7000 miles.

However, considering all this information (that is easily found on the Web). I still am wondering what is benchmarking Mobil-1 as meeting or exceeding the highest API and Automobile manufacturer standards for synthetic oil. My research sugggests that Amsoil is unsurpassed in all catagories and criteria used by automobile and industry lubricant standards world-wide.

OK, here is your chance, to prove your above statement... However, before you commit yourself to an answer have you looked closely at the Mobil-1 you alledge to be "the best for your money" and compared it to others? Or do you just pour it into your Porsche engine because Mobil-1 sponsors big racing events and has brand name recognition? Hey, nothing wrong with that ,,,I (and a crap load of my buddies)did the identical thing for a long time.

Question - What was the first company to pioneer and manufacture synthetic motor oils and how long have they been doing it?

HINT: IT WASN'T MOBIL.

Looking forward to your reply...
Old 07-16-2001, 03:09 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 909 Likes on 547 Posts
http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/
Old 07-16-2001, 03:43 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Close Terry (well not really). The first synthetic oil to meet API requirements was Amsoil in 1972. NEO, of course, was utilizing syntetic lubricants in performance vehicles from 1970. However, A gentleman by the name of Edwin Cooper who founded Edwin Cooper & Company Ltd., which was acquired by Ethyl Corp in 1975 from Burmah Castrol, pioneered the development and manufacture of synthetic lubricant in 1895.

Incidently, the predecessor company of Mobil Oil was the Vacuum Oil Co. founded by Hiram Bond Everest.

Just a little trivia while doing my research on this Synthetic Oil thing.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:26 AM
Tom T.
Instructor

Originally posted by Mark Bukachevsky:
<STRONG>Guys:

Thanks for the "heads up." I managed to find
and purchase 15W-50 at the local Wal-Mart. Yes, cost was exactly $17.88 per container here in New Jersey. At least the chain is consistent. BJ's(another wholesale chain) has oil at $3.87 per quart in a six pack.

Happy Motoring.</STRONG>
Marc,

Where in NJ?

Tom
Old 07-16-2001, 12:39 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Guys, Hold up before you pay $3.87 at BJ's. I went to a second Wally mart yesterday to try and find the 5 quart jugs and all they had left were individual quart containers at
$2.72 per quart. I really wanted the 5 quart containers and asked the guy working there what happened to them (looked like a bomb went off in the aisle) and he said some guy cam in and bought every 5 quart container and case box of 15W-50 yesterday - 5 Cart Fulls!

Ray, were you in the Manassas Walmart yesterday???

Needless to say, I bought the remaining 18 quarts at $2.72. While I was filling up the cart, some other shopper said Target has the exact same prices and packaging (5 quarts, cases and individaul) as Walmart, so that might be worth a try too.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:31 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

PDRATR, re Amsoil: sounds like you sell the stuff!

Maybe it's better than Mobil-1; maybe not. All I know is that Mobil-1 has served me fine on previous applications, have heard no words agains it (altho would like to be able to buy 10W-40, which I understand they do make), I can buy the stuff locally and pretty much anywhere if needed, and price (I believe) is a lot less than Amsoil.

You want to use Amsoil; go ahead. I'll stick with Mobil-1.

Postscript: I used to use Castrol Syntec 5W-50 years ago, but a note in "Panorama" by Bruce Anderson indicated breakdown problems with it, so I switched.

And E.J. - I do not go below the Mason-Dixon line unless forced to
Oil bought in Western PA.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:02 PM
Carlos
Banned

The last time I saw this much excitement about 5 quart jugs they had a woman attatched to them.

PS Trust me Ray we're not missing you here in the south. If they like you where you're at you probably ought to stay there. It might be tough to find anoether place where that is the case.

Quick Reply: You seen Mobil-1 oil in 5 quart jugs?