True Story of the 959

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 12:53 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default True Story of the 959

Hi folks.

I met a guy in October 2002 who told me he has a 959, and educated me on this legendary car. Since then, I was very fascinated with this uber-ultimate Porsche. Meeting him, and two drives in Pin's C4s, were the impetus for me to get a Porsche, and ultimately, my RUF BTR.

I just came across this great site about the 959, so here it is for all to share.

Enjoy.

http://autozine.kyul.net/959/959_2.htm

CP
Old 08-02-2004, 01:23 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my honeymoon in 1986 in the San Juans I talked to an older German guy who was giving an obligatory squirt from a hose on to the deck of his 100 ft. yacht. Dressed to the nines, I asked what he did to afford such a wonderful boat. He said that he imported cars. Several years later I met this same guy standing in line at the Big A auto parts in Fountain Hills, AZ. He was pretty upset as he probably rarely stood in line. In his booming voice he asked the clerk (he was standing behind me - about 4 guys in front of me) if he had parts for Ferrari's - the guy looked up and without blinking said that he would look as soon as he was at the front of the line. Then this German fellow boomed out -"do you have parts for Porsches?" and the fellow simply looked up and said that he would be happy to look when he got to the front of the line. I interjected at this time and asked him "so you like Porsches, what do you drive"? He said a 959 - I said WOW, that's a 700k car - "NO" he said, "that a million dolla ca" - I said that I thought Bill Gates and Paul Allen were the only ones with those cars in the states - he said that he had brought those in for them and that he had one himself. Small world, Great car, Thanks for sharing that sight.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:07 PM
perrys7342
Instructor

When the 959 was introduced in 1985, I received a letter and info packet from Porsche AG offering one of the cars. Other than being a long time Porsche owner, and knowing some of the Porsche factory people, I don't know why since there was no way I could afford one.

The price at that time was as I recall approximately $295,000 at the then current exchange rate. There was no promise that you could import the car to the US and the delivery location was strictly FOB West Germany. All I had to do was send them a check for $25,000 to guarantee my order.

A couple of years later, I received another brochure, which I still have, that offered a 1/43 scale, 18.5 cm "650 gram silver cast" 959 model for "Somebody who managed to get one, but because
he did not possess the high-tech silver model accessories belonging to it, could only get 600 000 (sic), -- for it." These were to be lacquered in the color of your choice (6 layer Porsche original), "fine nylon thread carpeting", "seats and armature covered by authentic Porsche leather painstakingly trimmed down to a thickness of 0.15mm", and "for the sake of perfection a key with Porsche emblem is to be found in the ignition". Naturally, the model would be serialized to match my "real" 959 or a model specific "low serial number" (if I returned my order immediately!). All for the low price of DM 3950 (about $2400 at the exchange rate I recall) plus DM 380 for the Leather Containerfrom High-Tech Modellcars Heinz E. Steber in Munich.

Strangely enough, we have an individual in this area who has a 959 ...who doesn't have the Owner's Silver 959 model. If any of you want to part with yours, please let me know and I'll inform him!

Perry (42 Years of Porsche Ownership)
Old 08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
perrys7342
Instructor

Oops!

Should have said a 1/24 scale 18.5 cm...

Perry
Old 08-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool How About a 959 Built from Spare Parts?

Before the 959 was introduced, I tried to interest a German business colleague with the prospect of purchasing a 959. His business had contracted the services of Porsche for some industrial design work, so I knew he had all the right contacts as well as the funds. I told him about the car and it's projected $250,000 price tag. I advised that he could easily double his money as a speculator. He declined the opportunity and I thought no more of it.

About a year later, after returning from Japan, he mentioned that he had seen ads from buyers in Japan offering $1,000,000 for the car. He learned that Porsche had sold all of its production. Now he decides that he HAS to have one.

After a lot of calls to Porsche, he learns that between the production department, Weissach, and the racing department, Porsche has enough spare parts to build a few more cars. So in addition to the initial run of 250 or so units, they are prepared to build 5 or 6 additional cars.

He purchased one of these, and proceeded to drive the wheels off of it. He was getting leass that 3000 miles on a set of tires. High speed runs on the autobahn, day or night were the order of the day. I lost touch with him, so I can't say if he still has the car, or what he paid. I only know it was far in excess of the original selling price. Porsche may have lost money on every "production" 959 they sold, but I'm sure they made a profit on his.

Cheers,
Old 08-02-2004, 02:25 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting. Incredible car. I recall seeing one for the 1st time, in the flesh, at the 89 Parade(I believe) in Traverse City. That fella brought it there at some risk as I recall, but what fun.
As a side-bar....I know it says that the 993 was not a "successor" to the 959......... but a few years back I was fortunate to share lunch with Peter Schutz (CEO 1981-on), and later we were walking out to the parking lot and approaching my car........he pointed at the car & said........this would never have happened, had we not done the 959.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:02 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

There was a guard reds 959 at the Palo Alto Concours last month. I was going east bound on Page Mill to recalim my RUF and he was going westbound. Quite a sight to behold. The long tail design is more Ferrari than Porsche.

Absolutely beautiful car though.

CP
Old 08-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard the real story is that it cost Porsche way more to build a 959 than $250K, and if they didn't homologate the ones already sold in the U.S. they could cut their losses by canceling all the orders over here. Ironically, it looks like they could have just asked $1M for each and made themselves a pile of money.

Quick Reply: True Story of the 959