Targa Wheels - Repair or Used Buy Resource

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Mark '98 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Wheels - Repair or Used Buy Resource

I scuffed up the rims of a front and a rear wheel for my 1998 Targa. As most of you know, the Targas were produced with 17" wheels that are unique to the Targas. I have been told by the Wheel Enhancement guys that they do not repair Targa wheels, in part because you need a special proprietary tool to unbolt the 2 pieces of the wheel. I like the OEM look of the Targa so I do not want to use this as an excuse to get larger/higher performance wheels.

So, here's the help I need:

Names of great wheel repair resources in the Los Angeles area.

Alternately, there may be some Rennlisters who have upgraded their Targa wheels and have their original Targa wheels sitting in their garage. If so, I'd consider buying them if in good condition.

Thanks all, Mark
Old 08-02-2004, 12:20 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A guy here in the uk (on 911uk.com user forum site) removed all those little nuts and bolts himself on all four wheels to refurbish them - its a standard nut socket on the back and an allen key on the front.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:08 PM
MrCanuck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have the Targa wheels, and they are slightly scuffed from the PO who apparently parked by brail.
While at the dealership for another matter, I mentioned my scuffed targa wheels to the service manager and he mentioned he knew of someone who repaired them, and I'm in Canada... so I don't think it is too difficult to find someone to repair them. Like StevoUK said, I think it is a standard tool to get the small bolts off, so it shouldn't be a huge deal, maybe more labor intensive. And, if the damage is only on the very outside of the rim, they don't even have to remove them.
Ask your local Porsche service manager if they know of anyone who would do it..

Cheers
Old 08-07-2004, 03:41 AM
Stu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark,

I have a set of factory Targa wheels off my 98 which are in near perfect condition. I could be interested in selling... What would you say they are worth?

Stu

Quick Reply: Targa Wheels - Repair or Used Buy Resource