Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche, Where does it perch in the Auto pecking order?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 12:54 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Porsche, Where does it perch in the Auto pecking order?

Hi All,

Until I bought my M5 in 2001, I was just an uninitiated car owner. I owned MBs, Volvo, Lexus, BMW, Renault, Toyota, etc. And I generally thought then MB was the top of the heap, and was not aware of the mystique of the Porsches, let alone the Italian exotics.

Since 2001, I've become more of a student of car appreciation. Based on what I read on Rennlist, BMWM5, and other forums, my perceived Auto pecking order now ranks as follows, from low to high. (BTW, I'm discounting all the American and Japanese brands here as they are generally not on our radar screens)

VW, Audi/Jaguar, BMW/MB, Porsche/Aston Martin, Ferrari/Lamborghini.

We know that BMW will out shine VW, Jags and most Audis. I rank BMW and MB neck-to-neck as they carry different qualities - BMW for driving fun, MB for look and shear power/torque. I thought we generally regard Porsche (especially the turbos) as a move up, and then the Italian exotics as the ultimate dream machines - mainly because they are beautiful/sexy, very exclusive, post great performance numbers, and with exhaust notes to die for.

I realize I'm just a Johnny-come-lately student of the auto scene, thus I post this thread and await the collective wisdom of your expert views in this matter. How do you rank the various marques in terms of top-end pecking order?

Thanks.

CP

Last edited by CP; 08-01-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:12 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pong,

Porsche is on top in my view if it is in regards to driving and ownership experience. Ferrari/Lambo if it is about exclusivity. Honda if it is practicality.

Also, I think it has more to do with specific models in each makers line. For example, I would personally rate the NSX higher than anything from BMW except the M's and anything from Mercedes except the SL's.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OUR Collective wisdom? It seems your first Porsche is a 993 RUF BTR-2. That`s probably the wisest thing I`ve ever seen!
Old 08-01-2004, 03:03 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

I wish the Italians were more consistently reliable...
Old 08-01-2004, 03:24 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at a stop light last weekend in Santa Monica. A guy in a black Ferrari pulls up next to me and starts asking me about my car. This is his opinion: "Yeah, my C4S was the best car I've ever owned. These Ferrari's are sexy and fast but they are a piece of **** and I would never own another one."

It seems that Porsche's are built to be driven, Ferrari's are very expensive to maintain in working condition and not terribly reliable. F cars are VERY sexy though. So, for these reasons, I too would put Porsche at the top of the sports car heap.

As for sedans, I like the Audi lines better than BMW.

Comparing all of them together is apples and oranges, looking at market segment is a more reasonable basis for comparison.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are so many different types / classes of cars : Sports / SUV / Luxo / Daily reliability

How about the Luxo lines? Yes No Maybe

Lexus LS / MB S class / Bentley / Rolls / Maybach
Old 08-01-2004, 04:40 PM
demi
Track Day

Surely Aston must rank above Porsche. In my hood, p-cars are as common as pickup trucks. Lotus, Ferrari, Lambo, RUF, AM, Rolls, etc. are all hand built in small numbers, which puts them in a league of their own. After owning a RUF in this area, I think virtually any other car would seem rather pedestrian. Tu es d'accord, n'est-ce pas?

Regardless, putting marques in a pecking order is the impulse of a student, or a dilettante - it's not healthy. Any true auto enthusiast will regard an F-body Pontiac for its own merits as well as a 360 Challenge Stradale.

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2004, 09:47 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by demi
After owning a RUF in this area, I think virtually any other car would seem rather pedestrian. Tu es d'accord, n'est-ce pas?
Demi,

Do you have a RUF?

BTW, welcome to Palo Alto. Hope you can get use to our humidity.

CP
Old 08-02-2004, 12:55 AM
demi
Track Day

Hehe, I sure do wish I had a RUF. I saw one that must have been yours at the Concours last month - very nice. I think the RGT-RS is my dream car. Some day...

Palo Alto is pretty nice but doesn't it ever rain here?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:04 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by demi
Hehe, I sure do wish I had a RUF. I saw one that must have been yours at the Concours last month - very nice. I think the RGT-RS is my dream car. Some day...

Palo Alto is pretty nice but doesn't it ever rain here?
Demi,

Yes, my RUF was at the palo Alto Concours a few weeks ago. I missed the whole thing as I was at the A's/Giants game that day. RGT-RS is an awesome machine. Would love to bump a ride when you get yours. Just 35 made, so get your order in pronto.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1327

As for rain, you've gotta wait till end of November. Dry roads most of the year, made for RWD cars. ala the RGT-RS

CP
Old 08-02-2004, 01:45 AM
pnc024
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Howdy993
There are so many different types / classes of cars : Sports / SUV / Luxo / Daily reliability

How about the Luxo lines? Yes No Maybe

Lexus LS / MB S class / Bentley / Rolls / Maybach

I poked around top of the line Bently and Rolls and the shorter version of the Maybach. I didnt think the Maybach was even close to the other two. The Maybach is boring looking compared to the other two and isnt very unique on the inside. They all have leather and suede top to bottom but the Maybach doesnt present it very well, AND it doesnt have umbrellas in the doors.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:56 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche period. Nothing else even comes close.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:06 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no substitute.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:12 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aston Martin is definitely now one of the best sports cars, the build quality has improved a lot, the early DB7s were built like Kinder surprises and the new models are out of my price range, for now. The porsche is a "daily supercar" and not too expensive to maintain when compared to the Italian cars. A friend of mine recently sold his F355, which was the most exciting car I have ever been in, but his garage bills were massive (£3500 for a service and cam belt/chain change), and if its not a daily use car its no good (to me).

Now in the saloon (sedan) department, the Audi S8 takes it for me, new mercs are not what they used to be and neither are BMWs. My brother still drives my fathers old 1989 Merc 560 SEL, it has done 260,000 miles and is still going strong, I don't have the same confidence in the new mercs. The Audi S8 is a surprise to be sure, I haven't driven the RS6 but that is bound to be more again. Compared to the MB CL 600, the S8 seems quicker and is able to deal with corners, the MB CL600 corners like a wedding cake, and makes me loose confidence, it does however have comedy road presence which the Audi does not.

I think I will stick to my Porsche for now, I love it too much.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pnc024 -

Thanks for your insite on the cars of the uberlux. Its details like those that can and do make a difference.

Quick Reply: Porsche, Where does it perch in the Auto pecking order?