Sponsored by:

Another stereo upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 11:37 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Another stereo upgrade.

I have the basic system in my car, no hifi, no DSP. The sound is(was) terrible. I am not interested in having a world class system in this car. I am more into making my car go fast, and handle flat. Also, I didn't want to spend much on the stereo in general.

Anyway, I purchased four new speakers from Crutchfield. 6.5 inch Infinity Kappa's for the doors and 4 x 6 inch Blaupunkts in the rear. The total cost was $160. I must say, the sound is better than I thought it would be. With no amp, the Becker head unit is capable of driving these speakers reasonably well. Of course this is all subjective but the difference is very substantial. I rated the system as a 3 on a scale of 1-10 prior to the install, now it is about a 7.5.

You can tell that for some types of music the system would do much better with an amp, but overall this simple upgrade is very worth the price for those with the pathetic basic system.

Also, the install was quite easy. About 1/2 hour for the rears and 1 hour for each door.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:58 AM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can you share the actual Infinity and Blaupunkt part numbers for the speakers you installed? Did you get the component (separate tweeter) for the front? Did you investigate larger speakers for the rear deck?
Old 11-08-2001, 09:06 AM
993Widebody
Racer

I will post the part numbers tonight. I didn't want to do any cutting so the rear speakers could not be any larger than 4 X 6.

I didn't get the extra infinity kappa front tweeters since they were an extra $99 and I just reused the existing tweeters.
Old 11-08-2001, 03:12 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 253 Posts
Very interesting post. I too am very similar to you. I have the basic unit, and really don't care on spending any $$ on the stereo, but a little improvement would be very nice (amazing how crummy the original setup is, now that you mention it...)

Look forward to you listing the stereo part #'s.

Also, did you have to dissassemble the front doors to do this? Any tricks or advice? What about the backs? Thanks for any inputs.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:24 PM
awd911
Track Day

Rob:

Could you include steps in removing the rear speakers and/or panel and what you did to fit the 6x9s. It appears that the front ones are easier to replace.

Thanks,

John
Old 11-08-2001, 09:30 PM
993Widebody
Racer

Here's the details on parts.
The rears are Blaupunkt PCxi462 4"x6".
The fronts are Infinity Kappa 62.1i 6 1/2".

After listening to the system some more today, I am very pleased with the results of just adding these speakers. Even being a bit critical I have to say that this goes way beyond my expecations considering I am using the stock head unit.

The fronts require that you take the door panels completely off, which conisists of using a phillips screw driver and an allen head. Quite Obvious on what needs to be done. I had no information on how to remove the door panels and figured it out quicly. The rears are very easy. Just loosen the entire back panel (just the four screws) and the rest is obvious.

The good thing about crutchfield is the provide the plug adapter that the Porsche 993 uses to plug the speakers into the speaker wire.

I recommend these speakers because they sound good with the stock head unit, are easy to install and the price is right.

Quick Reply: Another stereo upgrade.