Sponsored by:

New to 993's - Realistic Max HP diff bolt-ons will get you -assume 95

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:55 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Lomo,

Much depends on your definition of 'Bolt-on". Many have said on this board that RUF stuff are basically 'bolt-ons". If that's the case, my 95 C2, with RUF 'bolt-ons', now has 426 HP and 438 ft-lb of torque. 0-60 at 3.7 sec. and 196 MPH top speed. Would that make you happy?

CP
Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes CP it would. It really, really, would....hmmmmm RUF.....
Old 07-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Lagavulin
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP
Much depends on your definition of 'Bolt-on". Many have said on this board that RUF stuff are basically 'bolt-ons". If that's the case, my 95 C2, with RUF 'bolt-ons', now has 426 HP and 438 ft-lb of torque. 0-60 at 3.7 sec. and 196 MPH top speed. Would that make you happy?
Oh my, very nice; impressive to say the least!

Are your hp figures at the crank or wheels? Can you provide details on your car?

BTW Lomo, I've always thought the 930's are awesome.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:53 AM
flatair
Racer

Talking

Supercharger....RUF....is it possible to have a slippery slope BEFORE you buy the car? Sounds like a case of scope creep (or money creep), I'm often guilty of it myself. If you're looking to keep expenses fairly low, get a 993 set up the suspension, and maybe a lightweight flywheel if your clutch is worn. Then enjoy it for what it is - a perfectly balance of power and handling, enough power to get you into plenty of trouble at a track If you need the brute power of your old 930 in a 993, the TT is probably your 'cheapest' option. Try the 993 out, and if it's not enough you can always upgrade to a TT later.

Brad
Old 07-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Lomotpk
Instructor

Flatair, You got me. Well, at least you caught me day dreaming anyway...Hmmm Supercharged RUF engine for 550 HP, please Alex...

I think this thread has met its purpose which is to clear up the fact that there really are no normal "bolt-on" mods that are going to move the HP needle very far on a 993.

Exhausts are really poser-boy COSMETIC SOUND modifications, and not HP mods. (And don't get me wrong I'm as Poser-Wally as the come. That's why I'm looking for one with RSR's or FabSpeeds, I drove a stock Cab and was appalled at how quite it was.)

Chips are mostly a thing to do because you're bored and have the money, "what the hell, it Might work?"

The real mods for a 993 seem to be "Lightening and Tightening" type changes.
-Lighter flywheels and clutches
-Tighter, lower suspensions
-Lighter bodyweight via removals and substitutions
-Tighter gear ratios via G50/21 box

Did I miss anything?

And before anyone thinks I'm somehow pissing on the sacred 993, I'm not. I'm going to get one, I'm just trying to understand which mods are 'real' and worth looking for in a car, and which ones are 'accessories', nice to have, like body kits and clear lenses, but not worth putting at the top of the list if your interest is in getting the most out of your time behind the wheel. If there are two cars with the same 'light and tight' mods for the same price, but one has body kits and chips and stereo, believe me I'll take that one... because, I am a self realizing poser after all...

Thank you all for your help, insights and opinions, now I need to get on the ball and make a purchase.

Lomotpk
"Hopefully posting a 'New 993 Member' thread shortly"
Old 07-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sachin,
What is a ballpark figure for what it would take to install an intercolled SC on a 993? It seems very appealing unless it costs the same as trading up to a TT.

Thanks
Robert
Old 07-28-2004, 11:46 AM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Lagavulin,

I'm only running about 6psi. Didn't want to push it wo a bottom end rebuild. I did get a OBDII based Palm app that provides any data (including wideband O2). Although I don't know enpugh about timing & fuel maps to try and tweak it. I'm still looking for a tuning shop that is willing to work on it (and knows what they are doing).
Old 07-28-2004, 12:31 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lagavulin
Oh my, very nice; impressive to say the least!

Are your hp figures at the crank or wheels? Can you provide details on your car?
The 426 is a RUF dynoed number at the crank, not at the wheel.

Here's more information on my RUF. Also, please run a search on my posts, and you can see more info, and pictures of the RUF as well. Here's the low-down, Enjoy.

RUF 993 BTR-2

Car is a 1995 Porsche U.S. spec. C2. RUF BTR (class B, single Turbo RUF)conversion performed in August 2000. All work by the RUF Company in Pfaffenhaven, Germany. This is only one of a few U.S. spec. Porsches with the German RUF workmanship. It is probably the only narrow-body, rear wheel drive, turbo Porsche in the U.S. (standard 993 turbos are S body and AWD) and is the only car in existence with the Gold RUF Appearance Package. (standard colors for RUF Appearance packages are silver or black)

ENGINE
When RUF did the BTR conversion, the engine was taken out, torn down and completely rebuilt according to RUF specifications. Any worn parts were replaced, including all bearings. The new connecting rods are titanium for strength and reliability and are free-revving, resulting in less weight and less stress on the block. Car has a RUF intercooler and an additional oil cooler at front left tower braces. Special free-flow metal catalytic RUF exhaust, RUF intake plenum. Motor produces 426 HP and is a single K-27 turbo. Torque is 435 ft. lbs (590 NM). Compression ratio is reduced to 8.4:1. Car weights approximately 3,000 lbs with some light-weight components (flywheel, seats, etc.). There is a good boost at 3,800 RPM and above. 0-60 times about 3.7 seconds, top speed 196 MPH (RUF spec. is 308 km/hr., or 192 MPH)

TRANSMISSION
RUF 6 speed transmission with longer 5th and 6th gears for higher top speed. Lightweight flywheel, heavy duty RS clutch, and a heavy duty pressure plate to handle the torque. Two wheel drive. Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) and limited slip differential. Short-shifter, and RUF steering rack.

SUSPENSION & BODY WORK
Bilstein PSS9 coil-over system. TRG front and rear sway bars. All new front end, RS bushings, tie-rod ends, ball joints and A-arms. 993 RS side skirts and front corner spoilers with Tech-Art grill insert. Turbo-S rear spoiler. Polished RUF tail pipes with RUF inscriptions.

BRAKES, WHEELS
RUF/Brembo Turbo brakes, 322 mm front with stainless steel brake lines, RUF logo calipers. RUF 18" light-weight racing wheels made by OZ, painted body color (metallic black), center caps with RUF logo in gold. Five-mm wheel spacers, anodized aluminum.

ADDITIONAL FEATURES
The front bumper and entire hood is protected with Llumar Film to minimize rock chips. The car has a 14" 3-spoke Atiwe sport steering wheel. Recaro A-8 water buffalo hide seats. The A-8s are optional GT2 and GT3 seats for European Porsche models. They are not available in the U.S. Removable 4 point Schroth racing belts. 12 o’clock red-line-positioned tachometer (RUF standard race setting). Tech-Art Aluminum pedals. Tear-drop shaped carbon-fiber sport mirrors, aerodynamic A-pillar inserts to reduce air drag. Deluxe Blaupunkt CD Radio, 10 speakers, 3 amplifiers. Sunroof. A/C. Stainless steel threshold plates. Narrow body results in higher top-speed than S body models.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:33 PM
flatair
Racer

"Lightening and Tightening" - I like that! Clever!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:44 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
You can look here and see what I did to my old car and what resulted.....The G50/21 gear mod is IMO the way to go. Most noticeable single improvement short of turbocharging.
Hey Phil, great to hear from you again and nice to see you back in a 993!

Old 07-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Lagavulin
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CP
Here's more information on my RUF. Also, please run a search on my posts, and you can see more info, and pictures of the RUF as well. Here's the low-down, Enjoy.
Thanks CP; WOW!

I will do a search.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:11 PM
notbob
Instructor

hey CP,

Whats a RUF like that cost?

If you ever need someone to watch that car for you when you're not driving it i'll gladly make room in my garage for it
Old 08-03-2004, 08:01 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by notbob
hey CP,

Whats a RUF like that cost?

If you ever need someone to watch that car for you when you're not driving it i'll gladly make room in my garage for it
I bought it used so I paid the PO his asking price and that was it. He paid $65k for the C2 in 1995 (in Germany) and then paid RUF $62k in August 2000 to have the conversion done. That's without the 16% VAT .

If you do a standard BTR conversion today with RUF, I'm guessing $55,000?

As for the car-sitting, thanks for the thought. My daughter is drooling over the key every day.

CP
Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you have a 1995 - but my 1997 Varioram has:

RS 3.8 cams (bolt in/on)
Weiner ECU optimized for 92/100 octane mix for track use, 92 for street use
1.75 B&B headers with Flowmaster

Results: 280.5 at the wheels/247 TQ = 330/290 flywheel

Subtract approx 12 hp for no Varioram (HP increase over 1995 is from larger valves) and about 4 hp for no MAF sensor - and you get 266 HP at the wheels (on a Dynojet 248C) possible for your car -

So - flywheel HP on your car should be about 312

Craig
79SC with 3.6 and all bolt on goods possible!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:44 PM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Same set up on my car (FVD ecu)...makes a difference...

Quick Reply: New to 993's - Realistic Max HP diff bolt-ons will get you -assume 95