Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pedal "Freeplay" Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004 | 10:53 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Default Brake Pedal "Freeplay" Question

My ''97 C2 brake pedal has 1" of "freeplay" till pressurizes the master cylinder and gets hard. This has always felt a little strange to me. It may be that I'm not used to driving a car where the pedals are floor mounted, so the angle feels funny. It just seems to me that the brake pedal should get "hard" a little sooner (less than 1" of freeplay).

I checked the shop manual on this (yes, Ray, I have the correct shop manuals) and it doesn't discuss the freeplay. It says that both the brake and clutch pedals should be at the same "height" (they are) and that "When the brake pedal is actuated manually, a pushrod clearance of approximately 8 mm can be felt at the pedal plate." 8 mm is about 3/8", so it this the amount of freeplay I should have before the pedal gets hard, instead of 1"?

I should mention that the brakes are power bled annually and the fluid level is correct. Also, the pedal is rock hard past the freeplay point and the car stops like its on an arrester hook.

Does anyone have some help on this shop manual section (46-11) or would a few of you mind checking their brake pedal "freeplay"?

As always, thanks a million for the help.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal "Freeplay" Question