Sponsored by:

Filling Bumperette holes..??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Filling Bumperette holes..??

In all the extra time this evening (LOL!!! ) - I filled one of the holes in my bumperette cover

kkim asked if I could post a how to - so here it is....

OK - remove your bumperpad.. Next you'll need a few things like stirrers, a variety of wet/dry paper, a body filler spreader, body tape, masking tape, and some pricey chemicals - most especially - SEM plastic repair 2-part epoxy. I'm an SEM bigot - but frankly - they are the best for this application...

Here is the hole you are trying to fill. Take 80 grit sandpaper - and rough up all the edges and surfaces:

Next - take masking tape - ON THE OUTSIDE of the cover - and mask off the hole. Don't ask why yet - I'll tell you in a minute..

Next - remember that filler spreader I told you to get? Great - you'll need it now. Cut a small piece about 1/2" wide - and place it OVER the masking tape. It will keep the form of the outer curve.

Next - place masking tape over that, to keep the form. What you are doing - is creating a "form" for the SEM to hold it's shape into...

Next - mix your chemicals (SEM) and with a piece of fiberglass tape - you are about to pour the top-coat. Fill, from the inside of the pad, about 1/8" of SEM, and over that, place the fiberglass body tape. As you pour it in (I use a stick) - build it up quickly:

And then place the tape over it. Press the tape into the SEM, and work the chemical to remove any air-bubbles. Let it set for about 20 minutes - and repeat. From the inside of the cover - here is what it will look like:

After letting everything set-up - it's the moment of truth... Remove the masking tape from the outside, and your filler/mold strips - and if you took a minute - it will look like this...

With a BLOCK sanding block (at 400 grit) it's time to find out what you did. DO NOT use a soft foam block, as the hard sanding block will follow the contours of the bumperpad without creating highs/lows....

Finally - take a bit of SEM, and refill anylows. Work it out to feather it against the work piece. When you do - it will start looking like this:

Last step... After you are sanded and feathered - put on some flexible filler/primer - just a scratch coat... When you do - VOILA! Here is what you have... (NOW - I just need Euro Clear lenses!! )
Old 07-21-2004, 01:17 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John D, that is awesome!
Old 07-21-2004, 01:37 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. One thing I never had patience for was bodywork.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:42 AM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi John!

Very Cool!...

I would never have thought about using tape and a form from the outside to apply the plastic from the inside against....very clever solution to getting a smooth form to the existing bumper

Thanks for sharing!

p.s...I PM'd you back..thanks again!
Old 07-21-2004, 01:52 AM
jz993
Racer

John, you sure made it look easy. Want to do mine?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:07 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write up and pictures! You do make it look to easy. I can't wait to get ride of my bumperettes!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:10 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Looks easy enough... yeah, right!

Approx. how long did it take you to get from the first step to last? When you say repeat after 20min while applying the tape and epoxy, do you end up with 2 layers of fiberglass tape and 2 layers of epoxy or 2 layers of epoxy and only one layer of tape?

Gotta start looking for those materials... this slope keeps getting more slippery with each passing day... AND YOU GREASING IT DOESN'T HELP!!!

Awesome writeup.. thanks for taking the time, John. Great job!! Go get some sleep tonight.

P.S. Love the new upgrades to the site. Thanks for that, too!!

Last edited by kkim; 07-21-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:49 AM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swear, John, you are so talented. As for me, tonight I took off the front bumper, threw away the aluminum bumper, decided that I would get the bumperettes filled (of course now it is a DIY), ripped out the headlight squirters (can I fill those holes the same way??), put the car on jackstands, took out all the wheelwell liners, started preparing for the engine/tranny to come out, ordered rs sways, complemplated the suspension change, made a drink, wrote some checks and made a deposit (my real job) and now I am visiting your new site. I'm just glad I could remember my password. Great job on the site and the bumper!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

John - Very nice work and write up.

Now, what's your address so I can send mine to you for the same !!! Or better yet, drive it up.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:12 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

I finally figured out how you can accomplish so much and never sleep.

You are a vampire.

Come to think of it, we've never seen a photo of you in the sunlight, or your image in a mirror.

(Great job on the bodywork, Drac!)
Old 07-21-2004, 05:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Hi Folks..!!!!

First - sorry for the delayed reply..!!! For some reason - I'm getting barraged last night and throughout the day with technical support questions?? Hmmmm - wonder what happened??

Anyway - my thanks for the comments!!! To answer most of the questions....

Including drying time and picture "intermission" - total is about 2 hours. Hopefully tonight, I'll have a chance to get to the second hole and get it ready to spray tomorrow (depending on the weather).....

Second - it is pretty simple, but like Princeton, some enjoy doing this type of work and others don't.. Again - it's just using the right chemicals, as it makes it a whole lot easier!!

Now - about sending me your bumpercovers..... Well, I don't like doing body work all that much!!!

Hmmmm - now to find a set of Euro clears....

Again - my thanks to all for the comments and support!!!!
Old 07-21-2004, 05:56 PM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What about a group buy on the MAShaw ducts
Old 07-21-2004, 06:14 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by p_carfan
What about a group buy on the MAShaw ducts
As long as I don't have to paint them for the "Group Buy" - go for it..!!!

Old 07-23-2004, 08:53 PM
John D.
Banned

Just a quick update....

This week has been a tad hectic - so I was grabbing a few minutes here and there to finish this up. A few of you asked to see the progress - sure!

Anyway - after feathering, sanding - and hours of prep - I shot the water based primer tonite. I'm using water base as I have a feeling that the POs "body shop" may have used a mix of paint types (and a little bubble gum?).. Anyway - I'll shoot the base later tonite or tomorrow and then the clear. Hopefully - it will done this weekend....!!!

BTW: Yes - NH requires a front plate - however - I'm "not sure what happened officer - my mount has no holes to screw into???"

Here is one filled bumperette hole (the right side), after the initial primer spray:

And some of the small parts - RS Splitters, OEM splitters, TurboS ducts, tow hole cover, etc..

Old 07-24-2004, 01:47 AM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking very good, John. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Hectic week?! Damn, you do more in a week than I do in a month!!!

BTW, How's about planning your next vacation in Hawaii so you can do my bumper while you're here??

Quick Reply: Filling Bumperette holes..??