Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the Trigger. 400 Mile Drive! What to expect? How to Prepare?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:24 PM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pulled the Trigger. 400 Mile Drive! What to expect? How to Prepare?

Ok guys, I pulled the trigger. To the many of you who have helped me immeasurably from the get go through my questioning PMs, e-mails and calls, thank you! Your help was a blessing. The big day is almost here. On Tuesday I fly up North and drive my new Black on Black 993 coupe home to LA from Sacramento. It is a long drive. I pick it up at noon and will probably start home around 4:00 to beat the heat. Maybe earlier if I take 101 vs. "the 5". I wish I could be leisurely but work (production shoot) wont wait and requires I hoof it back that day.

It is a long drive for me as a complete novice PO and I was wondering if there is anything I should look out for. Anything possibly to prep the car before the journey? I just had the oil changed and a new air filter put in. I have heard some suggest adding a bottle of Techron, etc. since such a long drive will burn up a lot of residue. For me I just want to get home with no problems. Safe and sound with my new joy.

Considering it will only be the second time driving a P car, the intimidation factor is huge. Not to drive the car, but to be sure everything is ok over such a long stretch and I am not stuck in Buttonwillow with an overheated P car.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks! Exciting times!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:39 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

Congratulations on your new car

I think you should be fine on your drive home... just one minor suggestion: check your tire pressure before you leave.

Have fun and drive safely
Old 07-25-2004, 11:46 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depending on how many miles are on the car, you may want to carry spare belts and a DME relay. You should also understand how to use the remote control or you may think something is wrong with the car! Check tire pressure, keep an eye on oil temp and listen to the flat 6 sing on your drive down. I did the same thing when I picked my car up from Tahoe to LA. don't worry about using the AC cause it works well.

Oh yeah, buy a V1 and use it wisely. Have fun!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

From previous experience doing the same thing 17 months ago when I bought mine, just know that when you stop for gas, and you get back in and it won't start, you'll need to press the button on the key that unlocks the doors! I didn't know that as my old 88 911 didn't have a fancy alarm on it like the 933 does. I stopped for gas outside of Chicago on the way to DC and couldn't get the car to start! I was miffed, sitting at a rest stop for 15 minutes fuming mad, until I broke out the service manual and read it. What I doof I felt like.

Be sure to bring some of your favorite CD's and be prepared to lose your voice. That's right - you might want to pack some cough drops, as you might find yourself yelling out - yippeee and yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaw quite a bit at the top of your lungs with the sunroof open and the windows down.

Have fun,
Steve
Old 07-25-2004, 11:52 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve,
CD's? When you can listen to the Flat 6 symphony? You must be kidding... Unless stuck in a traffic jam...
Old 07-25-2004, 11:57 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds as though everything has been covered. I will mention tire pressures again as its important..

Most of all, have fun and bring a camera to document your journey..
Make sure you have the glove box manuals with you just in case...

Pack some anti-wrinkle cream as you will be grinning all the way home

Congrats on your purchase!!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Get yourself a V1, Bel 985 or a passport. Watch out around Harris Ranch/Coalinga. Cops are like flies on sh*t around there.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Don C
Racer

Early in the year I purchased my 993 in Denver and drove it home 800 miles to southern Calif. Other than a few test drives this was my first time in a Porsche. As my pre-drive Rennlist questions will attest I was totally intimidated by the prospect. I got the oil and belts changed before I left, and followed the advise of just enjoying the drive home. After the first few hours I realized I was not driving a delicate car, but a car that likes to be driven. We relaxed and my 18 year old son and I drove through the Rockies, Zion, Bryce, flew through Las Vegas, and were home before we realized it.

Enjoy!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Randy M
Get yourself a V1, Bel 985 or a passport. Watch out around Harris Ranch/Coalinga. Cops are like flies on Sh*t around there.
I think you already know this but it smells (literally) really really bad around that area too...

oh and be careful if you stop at Harris Ranch... once upon a time, there was one pretty "funny" incident involving a very famous race-car driver there
Old 07-26-2004, 12:11 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

That's right. Don't forget to put the fan on recirc right before you go though that area. Lots and lots of methane gas in that area....
Old 07-26-2004, 12:12 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Suwipin
I think you already know this but it smells (literally) really really bad around that area too...

oh and be careful if you stop at Harris Ranch... once upon a time, there was one pretty "funny" incident involving a very famous race-car driver there
ahhh yes.....the "Michael Schumacher" of DE...
Old 07-26-2004, 12:17 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Phil McGrath
ahhh yes.....the "Michael Schumacher" of DE...
Hey Phil, glad to see you're back

Are you going to TH next month with TQ? We went to BW last time, so this time you should come here hehehe
Old 07-26-2004, 12:19 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay, I know who the infamous guy must be, but am I missing out on a good story here? What's the incident of which you speak?
Old 07-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by Suwipin
Hey Phil, glad to see you're back

Are you going to TH next month with TQ? We went to BW last time, so this time you should come here hehehe
Thanks Pin.
I wont be at TH....(family vacation time)
Old 07-26-2004, 12:46 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Thank you all for the great tips and stories! I will let you all know how it went. First sports car. First Porsche. Wonderful way to start a new decade of life!

Quick Reply: Pulled the Trigger. 400 Mile Drive! What to expect? How to Prepare?