Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience w/ performance products roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 10:46 PM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Post Any experieNce w/ performance products roll bar?

Performance products sells both DAS roll bars ($800), and their own version for $400. They look very similar from the picture, and use the same material with the same thicknesses. Has anyone got one of these performance bars, or have any insight into their differences? Does anyone know of someone wanting to sell a used DAS bar?

Thanks!
David
Old 11-07-2001, 12:47 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
THere have been DAS-sport bars from sale from time to tiem...I was looking last year. The price was from $500 (cheap) to $700, a bit spendy.

There are certain safety items where you don't want to take any chances. I have not seen the Performance Products bar, nor do I know any of my track buddies in Porsche Owners Club that have installed the Performance Products bar. If it is OEM'd by AutoPower, it is probably a good bar. They have established a great reputation over the years...I bought the DAS-sport bar directly from Dougherty Automotive Systems in PA. I know at least five other folks that have installed the DAS-sport bar.

From my experience, DAS-sport is a great bar, well designed and extremely well made. For an extra $100, Colin Dougherty will have an extra cross member, forming an X, welded in. I had this done, had the bar powder coated flat black...and had it bolted in by my local shop.

If you really want to do it right, perhaps you should consider having a roll cage fabricated and welded into the floor sills, etc. If you don't want to go this far...the DAS-sport is a great product. Tell Colin Doughetry I sent you and ask for the Feather Merchants Discount, or so I have been told.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:05 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
The DAS bar bolts right up to existing bolt holes in the 993. I ordered one from Performance and it was back ordered. My Shop ordered it direct and we had it in 5 days. Performance shipped me the bar 3 months later even though I answered e mails 3X to cancel.

The only down side to this bar is it is too damn heavy. I am looking into having a full cage built out of titanium.
Old 11-07-2001, 11:16 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks a lot for the discount info. I plan on picking up a racing seat first (I need an extra 2 inches for me to fit with my helmet on!), and then adding the bar and harnesses. I'm 6;4" and will have to mount the seat on the floor and all the way back. Will the seat clear the roll bar? (the fixed back type)

Thanks!
David
Old 11-07-2001, 11:49 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
David,

If you plan on making this a primary track car get rid of the sunroof and pick up 2" headroom while dropping 50lbs or more!
Old 11-07-2001, 03:00 PM
Rocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David.....even with a full cage the seat and your head will not hit any part of the cage. There is a surprising amount of room between your head and the bar as it passes over the door tops.

I have a Safety Devices Cage which are absolutely beautifully crafted and cost about £500 plus shipping. (incidentially I have no connection with them). They also do light weight cages at twice this price but you only save about 20 odd lbs.

Here is a picture of my cage when it was being installed from the side, and here from the rear.

Rocket
Old 11-07-2001, 03:47 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Rocket,

What are your shoulder harness mounts drilled to? Is the shelf actually a metal piece like the floor?

Car looks great.

E. J.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:53 PM
Rocket
Instructor

E.J........The mounts are already there under the carpet. No drilling required, just screw in the eye bolts.

Rocket
Old 11-07-2001, 11:53 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Originally posted by Rocket:
<STRONG>The mounts are already there under the carpet. No drilling required, just screw in the eye bolts.</STRONG>
Thatis interesting. I wonder if all 993s have that or just the rs and sport models? I will have to check tomorrow.

Thanx,

E. J.

Quick Reply: Any experience w/ performance products roll bar?