Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone spray photoblocker on their license plate yet? Any photo camera tix yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

OG, NP, I changed my post to simplistic after You did too. Thought I was losing my mind when I reread yours and it said simplistic after I thought it said valid...lol Oh well, no problem at least your boy Lance is kickin butt huh! I am about done here I am fighting a losing battle asking everyone to notch it back a bit on the "in a hurry syndrome". My son was hit by a truck because someone was in a hurry to get home, now You all know my hidden agenda. I know how to attack the various weasel traps, both speed and lights and it is a slow laborious process. The voting booth , legislation and getting people into office that have views more in line with the enthusiast takes time. I am weary from the beating I have taken in the thread and surprised ,so I will move forward from here. I wish all that know me much success in their various P-Car related adventures and I have immensely enjoyed my relationships built here over time. I have tried to genuinely contribute over a long time from my various race cars, racing, instruction and projects. I will continue to offer my experience and insight to those who need it but am disappointed in the personal comments. You all know how to reach me if I can help! See You at the track!
Old 07-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Wow, Ron, save it for someone who's a real a**hole; Glen is one of the nice guys, even though you may not agree with him.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may sound like a fool, but I'm kinda happy that they put traffic light camera in our neighborhood... it intimidates people to NOT run through traffic lights around here (which puts us in danger).

I have seen accidents (one of them was pretty nasty) because one car ran over a red light while the other was anxious to floor it after the light turned green..

I think in Palo Alto area they will fine you over $250 if you run over a traffic light... there must be a reason for it... income to the city? maybe... safety? definitely...
Old 07-25-2004, 11:59 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anir
If speed kills, why is OK for the police to routinely drive 90 and 100 mph on the highway for miles and miles with no lights running, and I suspect no actual emergency to attend to?
i agree with anir - i have HAD IT with this situation. when i see a police car exceeding the speed limit with out lights/siren on, i almost always

a) pace them. if its ok for THEM to drive that fast (again - withOUT lights/siren) it must be ok for me to do it....

or

b) i do my level best to box them into traffic.

if they're on a REAL call, they'll turn on their overheads and i'll be the FIRST to let them by.

more on-topic of anti-speed measures, i've just installed the new lidatek LE30 laser jammer. i've only had it in for a couple of days and a low number of miles, but i'm very aware of a local laser trap that is run quite frequently. can't wait for them to be out there again, soon. THAT will be some fun.....
Old 07-26-2004, 12:01 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ron,
Not agreeing with someone is not excuse for getting rude and aggressive. I hope your for your sake and other drivers you do not display such behavior driving.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:45 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHEN I buy Photoblocker, it won't be for red lights, but rather for the lazy warmbody cops who sit in unmarked Crown Vic's on 295 in DC and snap radar camera tickets of anyone going more than 55 mph in a 50 mph zone. I don't ever run red lights, but I view speed limits as optional and mostly for revenue generation only. If the cops really cared about making you drive slower, they wouldn't disguise themselves in unmarked cars or just snap photos from a stationary car. They'd make sure they were seen and they'd stop you and give you a good talking to. But that's fantasyland. DC's local government is about at straight as that of Mexico and I have quite a clear conscience trying to screw them out of every penny I can.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:23 AM
msch
Instructor

Originally Posted by washington951
a) pace them. if its ok for THEM to drive that fast (again - withOUT lights/siren) it must be ok for me to do it....

sorry about hijacking the thread but i've always thought about this and wondered if anyone had suffered any consequences. I only recall one time i did this on 101 in San Luis Obispo and the cop immediately went off the road into the emergency lane, dropped his speed a little bit until I had passed him and then started tailing me.

Would it be a legitamate arguement to say "well if you were going that fast w/o any emergency then why can't i?".

Sometimes I just get the urge to do a civilian arrest.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glen: Sorry to hear about your sons accident.

It seems that driving behavior is slightly different this side of the pond. People here don't seem to have ever purposefully run red lights at junctions,etc. I am more in line with Rick, its the hidden camera vans on A roads ticketing for 55mph in a 50mph zone & worse still vans on Motorway bridges that will ticket you for driving over 81mph, on a Motorway! honestly I ask you, why do they bother with that? I can only think money!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:16 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All -

As said before - Glen is a GREAT fellow and a damned FAST race car driver. His 3X 360 spin out of NASCAR 2 at Texas Motor Speedway was like a ballet and he kept it together - beautiful!

Maybe I'm being overly simplistic but if everyone followed the traffic laws TO THE LETTER the whole system would collapse due to its ineffectiveness.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:39 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msch
I only recall one time i did this on 101 in San Luis Obispo and the cop immediately went off the road into the emergency lane, dropped his speed a little bit until I had passed him and then started tailing me.
THAT would have been interesting!!
Old 03-27-2022, 10:11 AM
somepeopeMazeme
1st Gear

Default Drive the speed limit?

Originally Posted by Ray Calvo
Why don't you just drive the speed limit in town and stop the car when the light turn yellow rather than try to run it???
it’s not just driving the speed limit it’s also tolls you can’t pay them and then they sent them to your house in the mail takes forever now and then you get a $50 fee so there’s a lot more to it and I know the state of Maryland taxes everything but don’t fix the roads or anything so screw them
Old 03-27-2022, 10:28 AM
boomboomthump
Rennlist Member

Received 945 Likes on 478 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Great first post on an 18 year old topic.
The following 3 users liked this post by boomboomthump:
bobbyp (03-27-2022), c2_peter (03-27-2022), Gator06 (03-27-2022)

Quick Reply: Anyone spray photoblocker on their license plate yet? Any photo camera tix yet?