Corner balancing

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 11:41 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Corner balancing

I've been reading the archives in regards to suspension options for my '96 993 and it seems the PSS9's might be the sweet setup. What is corner balancing and what are the benefits? Is corner balancing a DIY?

Thanks,
Luis
Old 11-06-2001, 09:04 PM
Craig in Texas
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since no one else with more knowledge has replied I'll tell you what I know. Corner balancing is just what it sounds like. You have to have a suspension with adjustable perches to do this. The car is put on a four wheel scale and the ride height is adjusted so that the car sits equally on each wheel. This makes the car more level and balanced and easier to drive fast.
Old 11-06-2001, 11:38 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Craig summed it up pretty well but let me add something if I may. Corner balancing is essential on a car, which exhibits drastic weight transfers during high speed driving and cornering. To reduce this tendency, corner balancing is performed. The basic objective is to achieve as close to equal weight sums between RR+LF and LR+RF as possible. Once the car is on scales, the ride height is altered at each corner to achieve this. Raising one end will transfer weight to the diagonally opposed end and vice versa.
Old 11-07-2001, 12:35 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 350 Posts
Read Fred Puhn, How to Make Your Car Handle, also Carroll Smith's Book, of which I do not have the title.

Since the PSS 9s are fully adjustable for right height, you should be able to obtain a primo cornar balance. I won't try to explain corner balancing....read about it.

Old 01-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Luis - have you found anyone who you think can do a good job on the corner balance/alignment?
I'm wanting to move forward with the PSS-9 as well but can't find anyone to the corner balance/alignment yet (I called my local dealer and they couldn't find anyone in the shop who knew what corner balancing is!). I'm ready to get them ordered as soon as I'm comfortable with being able to get the work done by someone reputable and competent (I'm neither of those, BTW).
Thanks.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

There might be a problem with terms with
the local dealer.

The manual (44-10) calls corner balancing
"height adjustment/wheel load change".

tim
Old 01-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Here is an article about cornering weighting. Good info. http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/cornerweight.html
Greg
Old 01-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
Rick,

I haven't found anyone but I haven't looked either ... Maybe the ongoing group purchase effort might inspire me to take the plunge.

Are you in SE Michigan? Maybe some of the guys in the lcoal clubs (RSR or SEM) might know.

Luis
Old 01-05-2002, 12:08 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Luis - I'm just north of Indianapolis but am willing to take my car to someone in neighboring states to get it done right.
I did talk to a guy named Marty Hostetler Elkhart, IN yesterday (got the strong referral from Jerry Long who is from the Northern Indiana/Southwest MI PCA chapter).
He struck me as quite competent - I'm told he does suspension work for a number of PCA club racers. He has also done this exact project on several 911s in the area.
He took the time to explain both the whys & hows of corner balancing. You may have seen my other post in which my local Porsche dealer didn't know if they did corner balancing or not! When I asked about the height adjustment/wheel load change (per Timothy Stewart's suggestion), the service manager indicated that it would not be necessary unless the sway bars were also replaced. Hmmm).
Marty explained in detail how to tell in certain circumstances if a car has been properly corner balanced, the necessity of balancing the car with the driver's weight in the car, how you verify on the road/track if the car has been done right, etc... He was very friendly and struck me as someone who could do the job well. He's certainly on my 'short list' of people to consider to do this job for me.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:36 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Rick,

I'm in Northwest IN and talked with Marty last summer about installing Ebach springs in my 993. He told me that he could install the springs but couldn't align the car. I think it had to do with the kinematic toe adjustment for the rear. He must have figured out how to do the alignment job. I ended up going to Midwest Eurosport in Chicago for the installation and alignment. BTW I'm seriously considering buying the PSS-9 in the "group buying program" <G> and will have them do the work if I proceed.

Brian

96 Carrera
01 530i

Quick Reply: Corner balancing