Busted by Stalker Radar

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow Busted by Stalker Radar

Dang,

I got a ticket today (good 'ol 11-601b) for 18 over the limit.

Its okay though. I also got a chance to talk with the officer after the fact...

Ya see, I recall that years ago you could effectively "out brake" the police radar and foil their attempts at tagging you. I had tried this in the past with good results. I even once had an officer tell me "your deceleration was so great that I could not lock in until you were below the limit..." (I was in a 911 SC).

I have lived by that now for many years.

Well, guess what. Its not valid anymore.

I spoke directly about that to the officer today (while sitting in the front of his cruiser) and he confirmed that those days were over.

He went on to say... "I locked on you and had your reading stored just before you started to slow... You really brought the speed down fast, but I am able to track that AS WELL as have your locked in speed at the same time." (He pointed out the two readings on the radar unit then showed me how it worked on another car that was passing).

I was really on the binders once I got the hit. I even heard the tires squeek as it went into anti-lock.

Man... The Stalker claims another victim.

Nothing against my V1 detector though. It gave me full warning of the instant on system in use against me. There was just little room to react.

I thanked the officer for the impromptu class, asked him to "stay safe," and motored on my way.

Have a nice day I figure.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
You, we, me may have to resort to a scanner. I had a Bear Cat Scanner programed into the Calif Highway Patrol frequencies. It went bye bye when I sold the SC. I have a later model Bear Cat scanner that I might just have to hook up for 993 road trips. I just don't likre listening to all the chatter. The latest model requires no programming so it pick up LOTS of police activity.

The next phase is to install jammers in the car...very illegal if you get caught, or,
we'll have to drive the speed limit (I don't think so).

Driving back and forth to LA from San Diego County, even though the Calif Highway Patrol has radar now, I have yet to be stopped.

I do watch my mirrors, try not to blow past on-ramps, try not to weave in and out of traffic...be smooth. So far it has worked...but I'll get mine soon enough. Then I'll hook up the scanner.
Old 09-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll probably end up buying a V1 soon. On the way to an autocross a week ago I got stopped for speeding about 2 miles from home. At 5:50 am I wasn't paying too much attention and it was to foggy to see the cop. He got me doing 60 in a 40 zone. Luckily I was a local and he had 1 warning ticket left in his book. I got the warning the rest of the labor day crowd got the real deal.

It just too easy to go fast in our cars.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:02 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Angry

Martin your probably right. My Uncle uses a scanner in his 944S2. Swears by it.

Tom, man did I ask for a warning (3 times), but he said "sorry man, I have been placed here today to do just this..." (then he pointed at a STACK of citations from throughout the day). He went on to tell me that this particular section of road had been hand picked to improve on.

No slack for me.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Michael,

Have you had success in the past asking for a warning? Just curious. If so, do you always ask for one?
Old 09-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Arrow

Brian,

You bet. I always ask.

Being in 100% commission sales for 20 years has taught me: "If you don't ask, you wont get."

Success rate? Ummm, 45% (less than half).

Now my wife (who has read all the "get out of tickets books) has it made. When she gets pulled over, she starts this sob story about how her hubbie is a dic* and may cause her harm if she comes home with a ticket. This is a great angle because the Police are to "help stop any violence toward fellow man," so by NOT giving her a ticket, they are in essence "doing their job." - See?

That has worked for HER plenty. However it does leave ME a bit uneasy cause the officer always asks details about her bad hubbie. She spouts off some generic stuff to keep them off me, but... Gulp.

She learned that trick in one of those books, so what am I to do. (I bought her the darn book.)

Anyhow... Thanks for the post.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:45 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
It never hurts to ask ... depends on the cop, I guess. The dumbest thing I ever did was really Michael and Stephen's fault; I had just got my former white 87 930 back from ImagineAuto with a new boost controller, Euro muffler and big intercooler, and was out on the road in Wichita, KS at 7 am on a Sunday morniing, just, you know, checking it out, when I blasted right by an old pickup that was hogging the right lane, on the boost, of course, and then saw the blue lights from an unmarked white Corsica in my rearview. It was so completely blatant, that I just pulled right into a nearby church parking lot, and was actually shaking my head and laughing when the cop walked up. He was laughing, too.

Cop: Have you had any tickets in this thing?
Me: No, sir ... I haven't had a ticket in 10 years.
Cop: Well,then, it must be your lucky day.
Me: Sunday's a great day for forgiveness, don't you think, officer?
Cop (unsmiling as he eyes the V-1 on the dashboard): It's an even better day for pennance.

He walks away, runs my license, and comes back. He looks the car over for a minute, and then he smiles and shakes his head.

Cop: You know, if I owned this thing, I'd be battling temptation all the time. If you hadn't pulled that stunt right in front of me and another car, I wouldn't have stopped you, but it would've looked bad if I didn't.
Me: I understand, sir. I don't really drive that way.
Cop: Tell you what ... don't speed around here, we get complaints all the time. Take that thing out in the country if you want to play with it. Have a nice day.

That was it ... no ticket, no written warning, he let me off. I was tempted to ask him if he wanted to drive it, but it would've been too bizarre. I counted my blessings and went home.

Of course, the SOB who got me six months later in a black 97 993 coupe on the highway right near Kansas City had no mercy; he wrote me up for 77 in a 70 zone. He was a ***** about it, too. It didn't really help when I said, "Thank you, Officer Friendly" at the end.

Vic
95 C4
Old 09-10-2002, 09:48 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

[quote] You, we, me may have to resort to a scanner. <hr></blockquote>

I got one in each car; have had one in my cars for umpteen years. Cheap and reliable.

It's called a "CB Radio".

Quick Reply: Busted by Stalker Radar