Sponsored by:

Sport seat "restoration"

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sport seat "restoration"

I recently found and bought a pristine set of sport seats, black with Porsche crest, no lines in the bolsters, about as good a set as one could find.

As they were sitting in the guest bedroom (where the original seats are now. I think they look good in there but the wife doesn't), I noticed the piece that forms the center of the backrest on one of the seats looked like it didn't quite touch the top of the surrounding portion of the seat back. I stuck my hand in there and discovered this center seat piece was no longer attached to the seat.

On closer examination, I found the center piece is held to the back (actually the inside of the hard back) with velcro -- two diagonal strips (about 3" X 2" at the top corners), one horizontal strip (about 5" X 2" in the middle. attached to a 3/4 inch thick lumbar foam piece) and another horizontal strip (about 1" X 7" at the base of the seat back). The factory glue holding the velcro to the hard back had dried out and failed.

The failed glue looked like it was brushed on the the velcro originally. It left a hard, bumpy, sort of beige residue that had to be removed before new velcro could be stuck on. I tried Wurth's Citrus Degreaser but it didn't work. Then I tried my favorite detailing product that gets everything off -- Dupont 3812 enamel reducer. With a little effort and time, it softened and removed the glue residue without any effect on the hard back.

Home Depot to the rescue next. They carried some Industrial Strength velcro in the proper width with "improved heavy duty adhesive" suitable for indoor or outdoor use. I put this stuff on and believe me, it sticks!

Now with their newly restored "innards" my sport seats are like new inside and out. Installed them in the car yesterday.

Unfortunately, I need to get a digital camera. I failed to take pics of the seat restoration but did of the install, but they have to be developed.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:18 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

I wonder if the regular seat centers are attached with velcro. I would really like to add more lumbar support... anyone know about this?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:57 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Mine are sitting in our computer room (aka Rennlist room) Our cat is the only one who enjoys them at the moment
Attached Images  
Old 07-19-2004, 01:53 AM
WildWillard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris -

I'd be glad to put them in my car so the cat won't hurt them, then when you want them back, I'll return them...

Or, better yet - since mine are the more comfortable "supple" seats, the cats might be that much more happy, so if you'd like we can swap???

Doug

Quick Reply: Sport seat "restoration"