PPI Needed in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:02 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default PPI Needed in Dallas

Hello all---I need a reputable facility in the Dallas area to perform a PPI. Ideally, they will be well versed in Porsche race cars.
Thanks for your help.
Mike
Old 07-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What year is the racecar?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:39 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's 1992 Cup Car.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:57 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See Cliff at Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Or try Arun Menon at Park Place Porsche. Park Place maintains a 964 Cup Car that is run in many club races.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:19 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot guys. I will set things up on Monday.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:39 PM
kevin harmon
Intermediate

I'm not sure where you are in the Metroplex, but I really like the honesty I've experienced over the last 5 years with Mayo Performance. It's a small independent in Euless, Tx. Sort of in the middle of the Metroplex. I've had my 964 and 993 cared for there. My favorite mechanic is Tom. He's had several opportunities to screw me over and has always taken care of me. Big dealers make me nervous as they seem more about nice showrooms, cute receptionists and expensive parts. I also get the feeling that they care more about the newer, yuck!, cars! Just my HO. They seem to do a lot of race prep. 817-540-4939
Old 07-18-2004, 09:28 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

K964 -

I was going to recommend Mayos but Kevin beat me to it. Istooks in Ft. Worth is also a race prep oriented shop also. Buckley Engineering is a newish firm on the local scene - owned by club racer Jim Buckley.

best of luck
Old 07-18-2004, 09:37 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

I had a very bad experience at Mayos and haven't been back since.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:49 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 342 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally posted by jw97C2S
I had a very bad experience at Mayos and haven't been back since.
Please tell us what Happened. We are currently looking for a shop in the Dallas Metroplex to work on our 993 since there are no shops in our area.
It's sort of hard to discount a shop on just known you had a bad experience without hearing the story.

Thanks!
JoAnne
Old 07-18-2004, 11:18 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After 30 years + of 911 ownership living in west Fort Worth I've used them all. My opinions are my own.........

I used Mayos' on my earlier cars, I always got the impression they were kind'a a shade tree mechanic shop charging almost dealer prices, Tom even got pissed @ me when I asked to purchase my own parts. Many times they scratched my cars and got mad if I said anything. I personally like Ed.

I used Istooks, at the time he raced water coolers and was a DiCK.

IMHO you should call Arune Menon over at "Park Place" express to him whatever your concerns might be, they are a Dealership, they have some very good mechanics and they want your business ask up front about their pricing, they are lots cheeper than the 'Porsche Store" aka "Boardwalk" whos service writers are not very honest and would rather screw you out of a nickle than Have a loyal customer.

As always. do all the work you possibly can, your better off, get your more experienced friends to help, use this board and only use someone else if you have to.

JM2CW Good Luck!

Last edited by p_carfan; 07-18-2004 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:31 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

The pcarfan is correct about Mayos. They had limited experience, if any, with 993s and readily acknoledged it. My problem though was different but still follows the complaint of pcarfan. I called and requested a price quote for mounting balancing tires on my 993. Mayos quoted $8x (can't recall exact amount). When I went to pickup the tires they billed me $230-250 saying the previous quote was only if they purchased the tires. I protested but they wouldn't release the wheels until I paid. Mayos eventualy reimbursed but only because a long thread at Pelican about the incident was initiated. Hope that helps.

Please tell us what Happened. We are currently looking for a shop in the Dallas Metroplex to work on our 993 since there are no shops in our area.
It's sort of hard to discount a shop on just known you had a bad experience without hearing the story.

Thanks!
JoAnne
Old 07-18-2004, 12:48 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

After my Boxster S alternator died in Little Rock, I was able to nurse the car to about 100 miles outside of Dallas. (The closest Porsche dealer to Little Rock is Memphis and I didn't want to go backwards on the way to Austin.) Porsche roadside towed it to Park Place.

The Park Place shop is impressive looking. The sales area looks like a law firm with Porsches in it.

The work performed was good, although the people I worked with seemed rather like robots. I stood around for at least 30 minutes with all sorts of employees walking past us as if we weren't there. I asked for Arun (as I had spoken to him on the cell announcing we were on our way), he never showed up. Instead I talked to Mike. All the people I spoke with were kinda like Stepfords; not unfriendly, but not exactly warm either.

They tried to sell me a front radiator cleaning for $350, saying there was a lot of debris in there; requires removing front bumper cover. After a deer encounter here in Austin, the radiators were damaged and replaced a few months ago, and a new bumper cover was put in place. Seemed like they were just trying to tack on extra unnecessary work.

I wanted to do a 45k service at the same time they did the alternator, and also they were supposed to detail the car. They didn't have an alternator in stock, so it took a day...when I went to pick it up, they had simply washed the car; they forgot to detail it (although they didn't bill me for it either.)
Old 07-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Robert,

Park Place can be a good place to deal with and then they can irritate the daylights out of you. I have always had good luck with Arun. He's involved heavily with the Maverick region and drives his own super-charged Boxster. He knows his stuff and has always worked with me. Jimmy, the shop foreman, has been wrenching Porsches for a long time and knows his stuff. He runs a good group of mechanics and they are attentive to your vehicle when it's in the back. The shop floor is clean, tools are orderly, there's not a lot of junk lying around and cars generally seem to be respected.

I have had the occasional attempt at up-selling by one of the service writers though NEVER from Arun. Generally, I've been quite happy with Park Place. I bought my Cayenne there and they have been great on the service side. I've had factory add-ons like the towing package, CD changer and cell phone solution added after delivery and I've been pleased with the work done and the manner in which I have been treated.

Yes, it's a dealership and yes, prices can be high. That said, I think that (as with anything else) relationships play a big part in these encounters. Again, Park Place has treated me right from the time I was negotiating for my Cayenne to now (a sixteen month relationship).

As for my 930, it's a different story. I had Norwood's upgrade my turbo to a K27-7200 and install my Kokeln intercooler. I was pleased with the work, but MAN! did it ever take a long time to get the work completed. I now have a good friend/colleague that is going to help me do a top-end job on my 930. He has a 76 Euro 930 that he has rebuilt and it goes like the dickens! With Stephen Kaspar's help, we're diving in to do the job in about two weeks.

All in all..... (and more importantly, back on topic), I have no qualms recommending Park Place for later model Porsches. I have no experience with earlier models, but Arun has always treated me well for my Cayenne.

Toby

Quick Reply: PPI Needed in Dallas