Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much oil consumption is normal for high mileage 993?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 06:24 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Craig,

A mile????? Do yourself, your car, and all of us a favor... walk or ride a bike! I wish I lived that close!

Cold starts are where the most wear occurs, and if the car never even warms up, its that much worse. Essentially, all of your driving is cold starts. You're killing that car. You are also producing the most polution when the car is cold, plus wear on the gearbox, since all the fluids never get warm. You should be changing oil VERY frequently, as the oil gets most contaminated during the cold start period. Ugh.
Old 07-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've heard many times that start-up causes the most wear. that i can understand. but i don't understand how the duration of use AFTER start-up is also a factor in wear. simply put, how can an engine that doesn't get much driving wear out quicker than one that is run alot? seems to me, a start is a start, no? if the damage takes place at or just after start, who cares what happens after that?

what engine has more wear: the one with 5000 starts and 45,000 miles, or the one with 5000 starts and 10,000 miles?

Quick Reply: How much oil consumption is normal for high mileage 993?