oil cooler part quat

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default oil cooler part quat

all right here are some no $hit numbers for a dual cooler design and the oil schematic. The stock cooler has 2 30mm male fittings that are mated by the 30mm female hose fittings. One of those have to come off. perferably the return line. so from there you need one 30mm to AN12 male to male adapter. the hose from there goes to the inlet on cooler one. Because of the design of the twin coolers hanging off the bumper upside down I picked low profile Earls 90 degree AN 12 to hose fittings. You need 5 of these. In the first cooler, out the first cooler, in the second cooler, out the second cooler, in to the the out side of the stock cooler. Before you go into the stock cooler you need a male AN12 to Female 30mm adapter. Job now done. The schematic looks like this: Notice its on engineering paper with my 9 year old eating pop tarts by me and staining the paper
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-13-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so I've been watching your progress on this oil cooler deal, heard the argument of your side, and the cargraphic option. Are you doing this for the sake of self satisfaction? i can definetly understand that, especially considering your an engineer. Maybe you have plans of a small production run (you should do that if your going through with all this!) I considered going that route of developing my own oil cooler upgrade, but when i started researching, i found out its really not that pricey for my car... check this out:
www.944oilcooling.com $329.00 total kit, encluding AN fitings and such.
~Eyal
Old 07-13-2004, 12:52 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So these are the part Numbers and prices. I excluded tax and shipping cause I dont know where you all live. I only know where the BAR guys live.
The 5 fittings that are the 90 degree low profile are Earl's
809012 and the price is 36.09 for 180.95 total
the male to male adapter is 9919GFR its cost is 18.96
The AN12 to 30mm Female was a bitch to find (go figure FEMALE) it was 38.99 at pegasusautoracing.com #1219-12AN
The AN 12 to female hose of which one was needed to connect to the male to male adapter is 70013 and is 10.63
I figured 10' of hose and I got the best hose I could find for racers is 79.00
The oil coolers are up to you, setrab is 138.00 X2 at Racecentralonline.com
Mocals are 129.99 for one (times 2) at Racerspartswholesale.com
Tempacures are 133.99 all over the web. so figure 260 for 2. Thats all the main parts you'll need some adel clamps and you can just dremmel the hole in the stock cooler side to get the hoses through.
So 30mm to AN 12 adapter #9919gfr 18.96 @ ANplumbing.com
AN12 low profile 90 degrees to hose are #809012 $ 36.09X5 @ ANplumbing.com
AN12 Female to hose #70013 for $10.63 @ ANplumbing.com
10 feet of Performaflex racing hose is#410012 for $79.00 @ ANplumbing.com

the 30mm female to AN12 male is 1219-12AN for $38.99 @Pegasusautoracing.com

Pick your oil cooler but pick a tank design not a trombone design but figure $260 for two.

Grand total about $587 Then you can get some S ducts for 369 to make it complete for a total of $956. The S ducts allow better air for the stock cooler and the AC condenser.
This pic shows where the two funny adapters go:
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2004, 12:55 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

This is where the low profile 90 degree AN12 to hose fittings go: BTW I picked the best fittings and hoses I could find, for the best price, some one could probably do it cheaper
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2004, 01:01 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I talked to Elephant Racing today to part everything out and he kept everything metric making the costs go sky high. the fittings were like $60 apiece and then I had to buy metric fittings to screw into the oil cooler almost doubling the cost of the fittings. In fact the fittings were more than the coolers. So I decided it was best to convert to AN fittings to reduce costs but keep the quality up. BTW the cooler size needs to be 12"X 5"X2" thick. I think you can even go 12"X6"X2" but I have to remock for the fittings. I'll be ordering up the parts in Aug I think so look for part cinc.
Also I may need a foot or two more of hose but I stepped it off with the bumper on and could not actually measure it. I may do that this weekend.
I think at most 2 feet more may be required, but thats all.

Eyal as you can see the diff in price is quite substantial. Right now if I got a cargraphics one from Gert (i missed the group buy) current Euro-Dollar conversion is around $1700 US dollars. the twin cooler design is a little bit more AC friendly because the S ducts provide clean air for both the stock cooler and the AC condenser. Plus these coolers are much more effective that the Turbo S cooler that is the simple trombone thru fin design. So realistically you could just add one and increase cooling by 50% with the tank design. That would also drop the cost by $200 so REALLY you could increase cooling by 50% NOT add Turbo ducts for $387. And Later add the second bumper cooler. You could proceed either way. But I would put the first one over the AC bumper scoop then add the second cooler later with the S ducts.

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-13-2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eyal provoked me into a good thought This design is buildable. I.E. one could just add the one cooler for about $400, on the AC side. If one were on a budget. then later could add the second cooler. I modded the design here for that one cooler idea. Any of the tank design coolers are going to be much more effiecient than the 'S' trombone through fin design. THat cooler has problems with pressure buildup and flow. Plus its much smaller than the AN12 or 30mm fittings used here. the twin tank design cooler does alot to break up flow problems. Its much like a real radiator as opposed to a tube snaking back and forth thru fins. I would like to personally apologize to Max911 for the horrible photshop job!
Attached Images  

Last edited by OldGuy; 07-13-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:28 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

oldguy,

I think this plan looks great. I can't wait for you to install it for me on my car. I'll even come up to Ridgecreast and buy the beer! Plus I already have the S ducts (and the S cooler)
Old 07-13-2004, 03:01 AM
kary993
Drifting

OG, do I understand the installation as being two small coolers mounted behind the air ducts (where the orignal fog lights are) ? The two coolers are about the size of the current Turbo S coolers?
Old 07-13-2004, 03:05 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 66 Posts

that last drawing looks a little sloppy OG.... is that a ring from a cocktail glass close to the pop-tart stain ??
Old 07-13-2004, 04:00 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job OG, can't wait to see the results!

This looks like something I'll be doing later this year also.

BTW, thanks also for the tip about Turbo S being trombone, didn't know that.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:59 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Old Guy,

Perhaps I missed it. What are you using to actually mount the coolers to the car?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:22 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Kary these are bigger than the S cooler. If you put these together they come close to the size of the stock cooler. They will be mounted in the 2 scoops below the foglights ala the S cooler. the S cooler is like 20% from what I hear of the stock. These are
12"X6"X2" depending on what brand and are close to 50% of the size of the stock cooler. Its all about surface area
Trackie they simply tap in to the bumper with metal screws but should be isolated with rubber mounts. Each cooler comes with four mounting holes so
you could also use bolt thrus. Come tothink of it bolt thrus would be better, with rubber isos. I am off to Edwards AFB so I will be outta pocket till late this afternoon.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:31 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

OG,

The planning looks great. Do you expect this plan and install to have the same cooling power of the Cariographic cooler install. I am interested in figuring out a more cost effective approach to improve the cooling.

Keep us posted.

-Skip
Old 07-13-2004, 05:54 PM
kary993
Drifting

OG, where does the air escape to when it hits the cooler front and tries to exit out the back of the coolers? This was the issue that another rennlister had in trying to put a large cooler across the front.

Trying to reason out why Porsche did not put a bigger cooler than the S coolers makes me think they knew they had air flow issues. The S coolers (small ones) I have seen were always mounted to the side so the air could escape through and down in the normal fashion. Of the people I know that tried the S cooler (single and double) they were not happy with their performance.

Having gone through the piggyback solution, though more cramped than your solution, I know that once the heat builds up and has no where to escape the oil temps just go up and up and the oil coolers stop working. Your solution will not be as bad as the piggyback solution because they are not next to the primary cooler on the passenger side, though they could be ineffective because of the hot air escape is not adequate. Hopefully the hot air while not stay in the front area thus reducing the cool air effectiveness that is entering.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out, though it will be very difficult to compare to a Cargraphic solution since there is not a baseline from which to compare on your car.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:14 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

what we could do Kary is get someone with a similar car to mine (with Cargraphics) and run somehwhere around here where we got 110 degree temps and then look at temps and document them. Then we would have some quantifiable data on how these behave. Steve coudl come up with his S cooler as a third data source.
I just got back from Edwards and I am pooped. Let me think about this tommorow and come up with a decent test plan. After all that is my job for the Navy. What ever we do the test should be run around here or the Lancaster Palmdale area so we can get some elevated temps to start.
Now for the exhaust air should exit the same place as the stock setup. You have 50% of the air going thru the aux cooler and 50% of the air coming from the turbo S duct and impacting the stock cooler then exhausting thru the normal vent below the bumper. The total air mixture hitting the stock cooler or AC condenser should be about 40% hotter than the free flow of the stock setup with no aux cooler. But that is 60% better than a piggyback design. All of the cargraphics air is heated before entering the AC condenser according to my Aero Engineer buddy. these are all just engineering guesses tho.

Skip I think the single cooler should be somewhere in the 35-50% range of the cargraphics. The dual cooler should close to 85-100% of the cargraphics based on total surface area.

Quick Reply: oil cooler part quat