993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY e-brake replacement problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 01:00 AM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post DIY e-brake replacement problem.

Started to remove stock e-brake using Gert's instructions today but got hung up in trying to remove the two locking 13mm nuts attached to the long bolt that anchors the cable mechanism. It appears that the factory put them on semi-permanently with a glob of red paint. I partially stripped the head off the outside nut, and using a 13mm open ended wrench I can move the two together by turning the inside one counterclockwise. No progress however in getting them off the bolt. I don't have a rachet wrench and my hands are numb. I would hate to have to quit and take it to the dealer at this point. Any sage advice to this relatively novice "wrench" would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:23 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the ebrake upgrade last xmas and can sympathize with you. Use high quality wrenches (low quality wrenches strip nuts easier) and box/flare wrenches rather than open. You may need some leverage to loosen the nuts so you may need to use a breaker bar, which should not be a problem if your wrenches are Craftsmen of better.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:36 AM
DrZ
Racer

Thanks, got through exchanging gauges and mufflers OK so thought I could tackle this project. Shifter exchange was very simple. BTW Silver Bullet, got the contact strip fixed by an upholsterer but it wasn't cheap.
Fortunately the seller was a standup guy and paid for it.

Hope the liquid wrench works, my set is a 12 pt. open/closed Craftsman. May have to borrow some tools from a friend.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:46 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i removed and refinished my alu. shift lever and shift **** last night, for one, did you see p-cars DIY on changing these parts? nice photos and descriptions.

something doesnt sound right to me as the two nuts you are trying to loosen are ment to be turned to adjust the E. brake.

mine was easy w/the help of a "gear wrench", slid the boxed end part over the nut and click, click off it came. the small nut came off by hand after breaking loose, the long one went by hand after 5 or so turns.

if worse came to worse you may be able to take the lever off the threaded rod w/the clip and leave the bolts on. you may have to pry the cables to loosen things up enough.

by the way the shifter and E. brake turned out perfect. they were scratched from a driver w/a ring i think.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:09 PM
DrZ
Racer

Liquid wrench and a lot of brute force did it! Now the challenge will be reinstall the aluminum handle w/o breaking anything. Thanks for the tips.

BTW I can see how the contact strip can get damaged during the removal process as the stock one became creased in the same exact spot and will likely break off if bent any further.

Quick Reply: DIY e-brake replacement problem.