Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting Amp Under Passenger Seat - Helpful Hints Please...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 11:46 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Mounting Amp Under Passenger Seat - Helpful Hints Please...

All,

I am planning on mounting the amp for my stereo under the passenger seat this weekend. I know some of you have done the same, so I'm looking for some helpful hints and guidelines.

Here are some specific questions:

How did you mount the amp? - I don't want screw it into the bottom of the car.

Where did you ground the amp?

Any helpful dos/don'ts on running the wires?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Drop Rod Birch a line at Car Audio Innovations - he's ace and I'm sure he will help you out.
Their website also shows pics and hints of this install.

I'm in the UK and Rod totally sorted out my install with a whole host of helpful advice.

I get my Focal 165K's and my MTX amp next week - then it all goes in and its going to be ace.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:25 PM
bbeckmann
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rod's the guy to speak to, but basically, I just screwed mine down into the floor. I grounded it to the metal of the car where the seat mounts are. Just scratch some paint off, and drill a hole. Silicon it, and you're done.

You may need to remove the metal plate that the two components under there are mounted on, and shove them to the sides. Rod's site has pics, and you can email me with any q's.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:08 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i installed mine myself.

You do have to screw into the floor unless you want to double stick tape the amp down.

as for the ground there is a 10mm bolt that is a perfect ground on the right channel under the seat. loosen that and add a ground ring crimp style connector and you are done. the ecu uses it as its ground.

it is really easy to mount an amp down there.

also for running the wires i would recommend running them under the foam and cutting a small slit in the foam that takes them upto the head unit area. it comes out real clean.

chers,
boris
Old 03-28-2003, 11:00 PM
lexart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skip--

I'm with you. I didn't want to drill holes in the floorbards either. I thus decided to take the 'velcro' approach. After removing the Nokia worthless amp, you'll need to push out of the way two controller boxes under the seat. I eneded up removing the silver mounting plate under the seat as well. It gave me enough room to place 3/4" piece on plywood between the amp and the floorboard. The amp is screwed down to the plywood, and then the plywood is veclroed to the floorboard. I installed it over two years and held up very well.

As far as wiring the amp, I would highly recommend following Rod Birch's installation instructions, <a href="http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/tips/ptips7.htm" target="_blank">"The System" Installation</a>

Brgds,
Old 03-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
You can use heavy duty (3/8" x 36") removable tie wraps. There are some strategically placed openings that allow you to thread them through and hold an amp securely in place.

Quick Reply: Mounting Amp Under Passenger Seat - Helpful Hints Please...