Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 over the Alps

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 02:47 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

In 1982, we drove that area during our honeymoon (I just dated myself here). Unfortunately, we were in a rental beater. A breath-taking drive nonetheless. There were definitely some 'first gear only' hair-pin turns there.

Being a civil engineer by training, I was totally impressed by the art of the road-building.

CP
Old 07-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should'nt we arrange a Rennlist "promenade" in that area?

This picture was taken close to the Fruka pass and in the back ground, I think it's the Grimsel Pass:
Old 07-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toga,
I took pictures at the same position last summer. The incredibly hot summer had melted all the snow in the background.
Usually, I do those passes three to four times a season. My favorite is leaving home very early (when it is still dark) and then doing Susten, Grimsel and Furka in one turn. Usually I am back home for lunch. Thus you can avoid most of the traffic except for some serious motorbikers who are nice to toy with.
Last week I did the Fluela from Davos twice, very nice from the north. And I also did the old hillclimb Tiefencastel-Lenzerheide with wonderful bends.
I cannot recommend the Albula - very narrow and only for the softly sprung - and the Klausen due to its cobblestones.
Would be great to meet any of you up there!
Old 07-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool!

thanks for the infos.
A Porsche Parade Europe taking place in Switzerland?
That could be fun. Last year, the classic club from Austria organised a tour from Zell am See to the GrossGlockner. Wonderfull sightseing tour.

Watch your six when climbing....I'll could plan another Swiss tour next spring!

JP
Old 07-08-2004, 04:41 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alps Touring

Hi Everyone,

I just moved to Hamburg Germany and bought a '96 993 C2. Three years ago I drove the 'Rombo Pass' from Austria to Italy in a Boxster S so I would love to participate in an 'Alps Tour' with my 993. If anyone here wants to organize an official/unoffical tour please let me know.

alex_lendvai@t-online.de

Quick Reply: 993 over the Alps