Need recommendatin for front bumper replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2001, 08:20 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Need recommendatin for front bumper replacement

The person who owned my 1995 993 Cab before me hacked up the front bumper in an attempt to install some form of special license plater mount that had a light in it. There are also some deep scratches that need to be fixed. I've remove the offensive plate but am now left with two holes that are larger than the regular bracket mounts (therefore, something as simple as Eric's bumper plugs won't work).
I checked with a couple of local body shops (Indianapolis, IN) and got estimates of around $700 to have the bumper removed, holes & scratches filled in completely, repainted and then re-installed properly.
I have two questions - first, is this a reasonable estimate for doing this job?
Second, I've given some thought towards replacing the bumper with an aftermarket product that would look attractive. Any recommendations on who to consider? This is my first 993 so I don't really know who to look at.
Thanks much.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:30 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rick,

I went with the factory approach by installing a euro twin turbo front bumper cover. It will fit the narrow body cars.

You can check it out in my web site.

P-car.com
Old 07-17-2001, 09:35 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick:

Following up on Robin's post, you can get that bumper for about $1000. At the same time, you might want to consider adding the brake cooling ducts and clear indicators on the front (removing the bumperette). Painting the bumper will typically run you $500-700.

A few sources:

I believe Gert sells all: www.carnewal.com

Also By Design: www.ebydesign.com
Old 07-17-2001, 09:38 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Sorry... www.e-bydesign.com
Old 07-18-2001, 02:06 AM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Rick:

I took Robin's advice and went with euro twin-turbo front bumper cover and I also added the air-duct w/fog light and turbo 's' splitter from MA Shaw. I'll post some pictures later on.

Ron
'98 993
'99 M3
Old 07-18-2001, 09:00 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Ron,
Why not just order the complete kit from Gert. His prices seem more than fair. I would be leary of adding an aftermarket piece to a factory bumper (like the Turbo S splitter). I have a MA Shaw front bumper for my race car and it was a pain to fit even close to acceptable. For my street car I won't use any of these and stick with factory pieces that fit correctly with a minimum of hassles.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:03 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick, I also replaced my stock bumper with a euro factory bumper and am very happy with the results. If however you decide to stay with the stock bumper I have my old one which is in great shape. Mike W 95 993
Old 07-18-2001, 08:13 PM
RT7
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Greg Fishman:
<STRONG>Ron,
Why not just order the complete kit from Gert. His prices seem more than fair. I would be leary of adding an aftermarket piece to a factory bumper (like the Turbo S splitter). I have a MA Shaw front bumper for my race car and it was a pain to fit even close to acceptable. For my street car I won't use any of these and stick with factory pieces that fit correctly with a minimum of hassles.</STRONG>
Greg,

That was my point, the original turbo 's' splitter was a pain to fit in with the factory euro tt bumper. The MA Shaw splitter fit much better. I got a good deal on the factory euro tt bumper cover from local area, otherwise I would've gone to Gert.

Ron
'98 993
'99 M3

Quick Reply: Need recommendatin for front bumper replacement