Difference between K & N and BMC air filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 10:05 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete,

In thinking about it, it seems to me that just about any air filter is susceptible to "inhaling" at least a small amount of water if it is wet outside. For example, the air filter on my stock 993TT is clearly visible just a few inches down the intake trumpet, which leads directly to the outside world via the vents in the spoiler.

In other words, air (and possibly water) enters my airbox from precisely the same direction as Joe's intake. I would venture to guess that any small amount of water is quite easily vaporized by combustion (somebody please correct me if I am wrong).

On the other hand, I did a nice job of trashing / totaling a perfectly good 1991 Infiniti Q45 (that had served me faithfully for 135,000 miles) after driving through knee deep water. I had previously lowered the car slightly - enough to expose the inferiorly-placed stock air intake to the aqua. Engine wasn't too happy at all after that "cool drink of water".

Not endorsing Joe's (I mean, 993RS Clubsport's, or is it...?) airbox cover, BTW.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:02 PM
David T.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Anir:
<STRONG>I would venture to guess that any small amount of water is quite easily vaporized by combustion (somebody please correct me if I am wrong).</STRONG>
I'm pretty sure it does, but I don't think it is a problem (unless of course you pour it in buckets), people even used water injection to fight detonation.
Old 07-19-2001, 02:08 AM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by David T.:
<STRONG>...people even used water injection to fight detonation.</STRONG>
Back in olden times? Indeed, way back then I turbocharged my 240Z and installed a poor man's intercooler - boost pressure switch activated windshield washer pump to spray water mist into the single carburetor intake at high boost. Worked great, no knocking & no engine problems. Although, there was that time during a winter trip that the water spray froze into a solid block in/around the carb.

A little water won't hurt anything.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:44 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Okay, I'm posting to this thread as I did the proper thing and searched on the subject first.

I have a BMC filter and a new motor sound cover. The cover works great, of course, but I can't get it or the stock cover to fit over the BMC filter properly. The thick rubber edges on the filter appear to be keeping the airbox cover from seating properly, and if I do manage to get the clips to catch, it's far from being a good fit. The standard filter works fine, so that's what I've resorted to until I can sort this out.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It appears that many others have these filters, so I'm wondering why it would not fit on my 993. Do I need to trim the edges of the filter a bit, or is there another trick?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
993 RS Clubsport;

Most of us have a drilled airbox cover, I have the factory motorsound option on my '98. Can you post the dyno report that you are mentioning, please include the baseline stock run, and the filter cover run. Don't compare the 964 with the flapper style metering, and restrictive exhaust system, it's not apples to apples. Is the mentioned dyno run with a '95 or w/VRAM. Eight horses is significant. I'd auction my factory motorsound on Ebay in a second to gain 8 horses.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:47 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Kevin,
Why auction anything? Or for that matter, why buy anything. Do this, for free. It’s easy, and easily reversible. Do some timed runs for yourself to see if there is an HP improvement.

Tom
Old 02-05-2002, 09:34 AM
Doc Vorce

A direct replacement K&N filter for 993 series cars is identified at K&N's site. Visit <a href="http://www.knfilters.com." target="_blank">www.knfilters.com.</a>
Old 02-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

[quote]Originally posted by Doc Vorce:
<strong>A direct replacement K&N filter for 993 series cars is identified at K&N's site. Visit <a href="http://www.knfilters.com." target="_blank">www.knfilters.com.</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

So what is the latest status on K&N filters? I have had one in my C2S for about a year.. should I be concerned about the recall (this is the first I've heard of it)?
Old 02-05-2002, 10:01 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Tom_993

Nice set-up! What type of clips are you using to hold the filter in?

Thanks
Jim
Old 02-05-2002, 12:47 PM
tom_993
Burning Brakes

Hi Jim,
They're actually 1/2" socket clips. The clips slide along a rail, and the socket clips into them. I used Craftsman clips, but I just poked around the Craftsman web site, and they don't seem to sell them anymore. I finally found them on the Snap-On site. Here's a long URL:URL.

In case it doesn't work, go to <a href="http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/Main_xml.asp" target="_blank">http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/Main_xml.asp</a> and search for socket clips. If the Snap-On clips don't work, any U shaped clip should do the job. There is nothing special about these clips, they just happened to be lying around the day I was working on this project. Be creative. Heck, duct tape might work!

On the clutch vent, I used a hose clamp to hold a filter over the end. I wandered the isles at Pep Boys and found a round PCV type filter. The only purpose of this filter is to keep the clutch dust out of your engine bay. A lot of dust collects on the inside of this filter, which tells me the clutch is actually providing positive pressure, rather than relying on suction from the air filter as some have suggested.

Probably more than you wanted to know!

Tom
Old 02-05-2002, 01:27 PM
jw97C2S
Racer

Tom
Very inventive! I'm sure I have some of those 1/2 inch clips around so I'll give it a try.

Thanks again
Jim
Old 02-06-2002, 03:19 AM
rockdoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions? It appears that many others have these filters, so I'm wondering why it would not fit on my 993. Do I need to trim the edges of the filter a bit, or is there

Skip

I had the same trouble as you had. I trimmed the edges of the filter about 1/4" all around and it fit much better with a good seal. The filter and motorsound airbox are a good combination IMHO

Alvin
Old 02-06-2002, 03:28 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Hi Alvin,

Thanks for the tip! I was going to do this, but thought that I'd check with others to see if I was on the right track.

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Difference between K & N and BMC air filters