Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 02:54 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Mystery plastic tube in the trunk

While in the process of installing a battery tender in the new car(1997 Arena Red C2S), I found a loose clear plastic tube attached to the left inside fender wall. The forward end is hanging loose near the battery. I can't see where it should terminate. Not a big deal, but I would like it right. TIA.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It is the ventillation tube for the battery. As the battery being charged and discharged it produces hydragen, and enough of it and the right spark could cause an explosion if not vented properly.

If you bought the proper battery it should have a connector near the top for you hook that tube up to it.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:01 PM
Curtis - '97 Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that it is a vent for the battery. On my '97 it connects to the cap on top of the battery. It is supposed to vent the fumes from the battery outside, instead of the in the sealed trunk.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:07 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like it is the tube that is the vent for the battery. The end that is not connected should be pushed into the battery vent connection. Most batteries have a venting port. I know Porsche and Die Hard International, Interstate batteries have a connector for this venting tube. It is important to attached the tube to release acid gasses outside, and not keep inside battery trunk area.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:29 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 225 Posts
In addition to the vent tube info given above, I've actually disconnected the vent tube going to the side fender, because the gases started corroding that section of fender

What I did was run the vent tube from the battery, down to a factory hole underneath the spare tire. Here the battery gases, fluid can safely exit without ruining my fender wall or corroding the area near the battery.
Old 07-16-2001, 05:59 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, folks. There IS a vent tube on the battery, even if the label says "Econo Power"! I'm not used to fancy stuff like vent tubes for the battery. I'm sure I will find lotsa more neat stuff on this car as I continue exploring. Cool.

Quick Reply: Mystery plastic tube in the trunk