Grey Sponge in the Bumper Cover

Old 06-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grey Sponge in the Bumper Cover

I was scanning the 964 and read this from jenskleis:

"this weekend I wanted to clean the air condenser and the oil cooler with a pressure cleaner. In the end, I didn't do it because I forgot to buy a connector for the water hose...

Anyway, I got as far as taking a front wheel and the inner wheel arch off. In there, in the lower front part of the bumper, I found a triangular sponge. Old, and very dirty. Its shape fits the front corner to the grill, at the bottom of the bumper corner. Anyone knows why it is there? Should I replace it?"

Well, last evening I was buffing the under side of my bumper when I notice an old decaying grey sponge laying in either side of the bumper vents.

Is there a filter material somewhere behind the bumper of the 993 that falls down eventually. I have never had the bumper cover off so I have no idea what it could be.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-27-2004, 06:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Dave,

Yes - it is a sponge like material that goes betwen the shrouds (oil cooler/right - and A/C shroud on the left) and the bumper pad/splitter. If you remove your wheel liners or splitters (non-Turbo), they are accessible. They are cut as a "triangle" (flat top and side, semi-circle on the base) - with a "V" along the bottom edging... Also - mine are black, rather then grey..???

Best to you,

John
Old 06-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume they are they there to direct air flow to the coolers (or at least out of gaps)?

Mine are also dirty and seems like they are always wet, which is probably not a good thing....
Old 06-27-2004, 07:52 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I think that they stop airflow to areas around the shrouds - rather then re-direct..?? Since I installed the Turbos S ducts (thanks Gert!) - mine are always damp as well. With the OEM lights in there - I'm not sure if they would be wet, though? Maybe it's the Turbo S ducts you and I have...?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:55 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Hi guys,

There are two foam pieces on each side and attached with adhesive to the inside of the bumper cover on the RH and LH sides. As Bob says, they help keep cooling air from the grill directed to the two heat exchangers (A/C and oil). Not what I would call a real "robust" piece of foam. I replaced all of them when the TT bumper cover went on.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. It is great to be able to ask the most obscure question and get an answer. I wonder how many other mark owners are concerned by a stray piece of dark foam?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:06 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Duds- Funny you should ask this because I pulled off my bumper today to check a mock aux filter fitment and there are those sponges. Did not know anything about em and the very same day you post the question!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, it seems like a good time to pull the front bumper and check out the foam. I have been waiting for an excuse to pull the bumper replace the AC resistor - the high speed fan has been a bit erratic lately.

Kind of quirky, but I enjoy pulling off a cover or panel and realizing I am the first person there since the factory. It has an archaeological feel to it. I have also resisted the need to clean off the cosmoline from the under body since I read that the SOP for the dealer is to respray the cosmoline after a repair to preserve the anti-corrosive properties.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grey Sponge in the Bumper Cover