Frequent A/C problems and Light Blue Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 05:53 PM
ataman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequent A/C problems and Light Blue Smoke

Since I bought my car in October 2003, I have had A/C problems many times. Let me remind that my CCU is a brand new, I bought the CCU from www. vertexauto.com. First problem occurred November 2003. There was a disconnection one of the circuit line, I corrected it with a piece of wire .

After that, I had two other problems with my CCU. In both cases, I found a disconnection (gap) on the circuit lines and fixed the problems using a wire to close the gaps.
I had already replaced the series resistor and NTC sensor which are located in engine compartment outlet of the rear blower. I thought maybe these parts caused my CCU circuit board damage. Since my Rear blower makes noise before stop, I have already ordered a new rear blower to replace it.

Today, I had another problem. even tough A/C control unit was working at the maximum speed, there was a barely air coming from vents. Then suddenly, I saw a heavy blue smokes coming my rear. When I stooped, there was a heavy smell coming from engine compartment. I removed the CCU and opened it. I saw another disconnection one of the circuit lines and fixed it using a wire. Now, A/C works properly, the air (cold and hot) comes from vents. But now, my engine works erratically, especially at the gear 1 and 2. Just like something wrong in the spark plugs systems. This is my uneducated guess.

Does anyone have any idea:
1. Why my CCU is sucking so frequently?
2. What was the reason of the heavy blue smoke?
3. Why the engine works erratically at the moment and what is this?

Regards,
Old 06-27-2004, 06:07 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you added oil to the car recently ?

Can't speak for any A/C issues...but I made the moronic mistake of adding oil on a full sump and had plenty of blue smoke !!

Ciphered the excess out and presto...no blue smoke and 1st and 2nd ran smoothly !!
Old 06-27-2004, 10:51 PM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Ataman,

Have all the circuit failures been on the CCU from Vertex? Or, was the first repair done on your original CCU? I've never heard of anything like it, but perhaps there's something wrong with the circuit board/solder on the new CCU? A lemon CCU....

If you don't have a lemon CCU, I can only guess there's some sort of electrical gremlin that's causing the CCU lines to fail. Are you seeing any evidence of overcurrent/burning in the area of the failures? Any chance there's non-standard wiring on your car? In particular, off of fuse #1, which supplies the CCU and interior fans?

Don't know what to make of the blue smoke. As Keith suggests, an oil overfill would be my guess.

With regard to the poor running (and assuming it's not an oil overfill), I would first disconnect the primary coil wire, and make sure the car will still start and run. If not, this means the belt for the secondary distributor has broken (perhaps the source of your smoke?). Next, I would disconnect and reconnect the battery. A long shot, but perhaps that will clear your ECU.

Good luck, and please let us know what you find.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:10 AM
ataman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith --> No, I did not add any oil recently. It seems to me that this is not the oil level related blue smoke. On the other hand, after this problem, I checked oil level and it was within normal limit.

Randall--> All circuit failure were on the new CCU from Vertex. I think something is wrong in my engine bay compartment which caused CCU failure (a kind of domino effect) but I don't know what component. I am not seeing any evidence of overcurrent/burning in the area of the failures.

I will check distributor and disconnect the battery and I will let you know the result.

Regards,
Old 06-28-2004, 11:13 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a '95, has your engine loom been replaced or at least checked by the OPC to see if your car is affected?

HTH, cheers, Maurice
Old 06-28-2004, 12:04 PM
ataman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Maurice,

I have already contacted to Porsche Authorized Service to check my engine wiring. Since they didn't have the necessary spare parts at the moment, they gave me an appointment date on 27 July. I will let the forum know the result.

Regards,

Quick Reply: Frequent A/C problems and Light Blue Smoke