Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear blower motor squeak on startup/shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2024, 01:58 PM
entendu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Rear blower motor squeak on startup/shutdown?

Hey all, I'm sure this has been covered before but I don't totally know what to search so I need some help.

Last night I was running the heater for the first time on a drive and when I shut down noticed a squeal/squeak and minor rattle while shutting down the engine. I did some more poking this AM and found it's probably the rear blower motor (correct name?)

Reproduction steps:
  1. With engine off and ignition on run (ie, dash lit), turn fan and temp to minimum
  2. Turn CCU temp to max
Various flaps actuate, vacuum sounds from the rear, air starts coming out the vents, and a blower in the rear turns on. It sounds like the blower squeaks and rattles a bit as it starts.

3. Turn CCU temp to min

The same motor spins down, squeaking/squealing and rattling slightly as it stops.

So my guess is a problem with the rear blower motor - perhaps a bearing? Can I replace the bearing, or perhaps lubricate it? Does the blower need replaced? Is it the blower at all?!

If one of you could send me any relevant links I would be grateful. Thanks!
Old 07-27-2024, 02:04 PM
entendu
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Tore may have answered most of this question a year ago here: https://911uk.com/threads/993-blower...-noisy.122060/

If I could get any thoughts on whether my diagnosis is reasonable that would help.

Also what's the recommended workshop manual? I used to use Haynes way back when.
Old 07-28-2024, 12:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

entendu,
The engine compartment heater blower has sealed bearings and is not designed to be serviced.
One could try to lubricate the bearings however what you describe as a rattling sound suggests the bearing has worn to the point where it has slop in it so no amount of lubrication will address this.
It may make sense to look for a service-new part as a replacement for the entire blower. A used salvage one may already have the seeds of destruction present in its bearings and so should only be considered as a second option if the pricing or availability of a new one is problematic.
Andy

Quick Reply: Rear blower motor squeak on startup/shutdown?