Sponsored by:

Alignment services in Catalunya

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 05:48 AM
pda993
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alignment services in Catalunya

Apologies in advance for the newbie queries - but have not had any success in other searches. I need an alignment on my 993 - but have not found a shop with the tools and expertise (or interest?) in doing the KT adjustment. Anyone in Girona or Barcelona with experience in getting this dialed in? If so, pls pm me. I'm doing a suspension 'refresh' - lowering from M029 to M030 with new M030 springs, Bilsteins, M030 stabilizer bars, new rubber,.. All good - and should further enhance the already incredible dynamics. Hard to believe that there is not a Porsche racing / suspension shop local given the proximity to Montmelo, Aragon,Castelloli,...

Is it possible to get everything else set using standard alignment rig - then iterate on KT (using the bubble tool or equivalent to get agreement left-right)?

The other option...A SmartStrings rig...seems interesting, but unclear as to whether this is even viable.
Old 07-23-2024, 02:57 PM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 284 Posts

I would have a look at the current KT setting on your car - if they look untouched, and (read the PDF) at 11 o'clock on one side, and 1 o'clock on the other, I would simply get the local equivalent of a Hunter Alignment.... or are Hunter common in Europe?

It will probably be good enough. If it isn't, then only you can decide if you want to try and find/buy the tools specific to help set the KT.

I presume you have this PDF?

Attached Images
The following users liked this post:
Floyd540 (07-23-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 04:29 AM
pda993
Track Day

Thanks! I had seen this but didn't get point about 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock being factory spec. Will go ahead with the Porsche Indy alignment - may also get the bubble tool as a further check.
Old 07-25-2024, 05:30 PM
pda993
Track Day

Thanks again for the reminder to read a bit more carefully - this confirmed that the KT setting appears to be unchanged in 30 years. The original cosmoline very much in place as can be seen in the attached. This after new shocks and more than one alignment. I cleaned and marked the position of each side (11 and 1 o'clock as per original factory spec) - in advance of the new suspension pieces. Once installed I'll get the usual Hunter or John Ban alignment - then test again with the bubble KT tool.

orangecurry (07-25-2024)
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 274 Posts

Great pics to show the correct position of the eccentric. Some people may be confused by the pics in the attached PDF document that discusses the 11 "o clock and 1 "o clock info but shows the hex actually at the wrong position. Your pics above clearly show the left side and right side and the hex clocking. As a side note (nobody cares), I just did the complete-full refresh on my car and I used the new Porsches green classic shocks just like you did and they are fantastic. Being here in the USA, I went from the US height to the ROW M029 height. Great.
Also as a side note that may be of some interest is that very, very few alignment shops will know anything about KT although they all will say they "adjusted it correctly". May be different in Europe, but here is the US, even in car crazy California , the KT function and adjustment is totally unknown. Real race shops will probably have an idea about it but may not have the gauge and may not have the substitute bump steer gauge. I have visited some of the well respected high end alignment shops here in Cal and they have no idea what that KT link does but at least they don't mess with it. They will say "we did the full 4 wheel alignment" per factory specs." When quizzed, they refer to the computer program and specs on the alignment machine only. There is no mention of adjusting the KT link. So be aware of alignment shops, even the "exotic high dollar ones until you get some answers that you can believe. My local go to tire and alignment shop with two generations of experience does great alignment $80 but no experience with KT. At least the guy knew enough that the KT link is NOT the camber adjustment. I explained how it works and he understood it quickly but said his machine (like all the others) had no provision to deal with KT.
Don't get snookered on alignment as all shops will say they did it all correctly and to factory specs.
A shop that messes with the KT link thinking it is camber is a disaster.
A shop that doesn't know what the KT is or does and therefore leaves it alone but does everything else could be your best bet. This may be 90% of those out there.
A race shop or a shop that can measure bump and scales and can do the corner balance can learn about KT may be a great place. This will be in the 1 or 2 % of shops.
A race shop that prepare Porsches should know about this stuff and should have the tool. This is less than 1 %.
orangecurry (Yesterday)
Old Today, 02:21 PM
pda993
Track Day

Thanks for the additional insights. There is a good shop in Barcelona that specializes in classic Porsches - but they at least told me that they don't have the tool to adjust the KT. They do build some very special Singer-like 964's though. Sounds like the best option (until I can find a 993 racing suspension setup shop) - to get a standard alignment - then validate KT with the tool on my own - and iterate. The BCN shop may even work with me if I bring along the new tool for them to learn how to use. Alignment will probably not change much as I am only going from M029 ROW to M030 - new springs, M030 stabilizer bars, RS rubber,...

Quick Reply: Alignment services in Catalunya