Heel and toe information / explanations

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 07:00 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel and toe information / explanations

A friend of mine is trying to learn how to heel and toe. I recall a few years back a great article teaching how to heel and toe. I have searched the archives and can not locate, does anybody recall where that article was ??? Or have a copy of it ???

Thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

How's this?
Old 06-27-2004, 03:11 PM
kary993
Drifting

Strange as it might sound I do tend to use the lower portion of the outside right foot to blip the throttle. largely due to the length of the legs it is easier given by overall body position. If I were to try and use the ball of my foot toward my toes it is not comfortable for my leg position. I know it sounds strange but maybe others do it that way as well?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:35 PM
kary993
Drifting

If anyone watched the ALMS Mid-Ohio event today there was a great segment of the foot work on a 911 GT3RS driver. It was about a minite or 2 of split screen showing the car on track and the foot well. Turns out their brakes were begining to fade so he had to pump the brakes with his left foot prior to entering a brake zone, very interesting.

At any rate, that displayed the way I do heel/toe as described in my above post.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:44 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I saw that too it was very cool.

O/T The announcers were saying that Porsche has meetings in July and October to discuss a factory sponsored team for that ALMS series. That
would have Porsches running out front with that Saleen and Lambo!
Old 06-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Mark,

I like your new avatar. Cool looking graphics. When are you racing again?

Rich
Old 06-27-2004, 09:30 PM
Jim
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only thing the article doesn't mention is the notion of a racing transmission. The most "racing" of transmissions use straight cut gears. These sort of gearboxes have far less friction than a street transmission as there is minimal metal on metal contact to get the job done. They are strong, light and efficient. (Sometimes called crash boxes) Street transmissions use helical cut gears matched with guiding gears (synchronizers) to match the rpms of the various internal shafts when downshifting.

With straight cut gears, heel and toe technique is required for downshifts or you will either not be able to acquire a lower gear, or it will grind excessively until it slips in. On the positive side, you don't really need a clutch at all on upshifts, just let off on the gas and bang it.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks, Rich! That's really very nice to hear, as I spent quite a bit of time planning how the car would look and allowed the smaller graphics to work around the major ones. It also helps that one of my supporters/"sponsors" has a very eye-catching logo.

I've always wanted to race, and I've always wanted a "race car"...

My next races are Summit Point in August and VIR in October. That's it for the racing season, although I may do a DE or two in between or after.

Quick Reply: Heel and toe information / explanations