993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Help with my Lexus paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 10:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default OT: Help with my Lexus paint

I probably have the only 2004 LS430 that had to get flat-towed to a dealer because the engine died while at freeway speeds (hiway 101 Southbound, 10 miles north of King City). By the time it got to the dealer, the engine started just fine. They keep it a few days, and changed the fuel pump (there were no codes). OK... so what does this have to do with the subject?

Somewhere along the trip, it sat outside and got those little tiny "bubbles" on the paint... my guess is tree sap. I've always been able to wash that off, but not this time. I used bug & tar remover... still bumpy. I used swirl remover... still bumps. I used cleaner/wax... still bumpy. I used polishing compound followed by swirl remover... still bumpy. I'm getting worn out. Is there some good chemical product that just removes that crap?

Thanks in advance... you guys know everything.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As a last resort, you can use fingernail polish remover that contains acetone. Be sure to wash and wax the area when done.

You can also try a product called "Goof Off"...available at Home Depot
Old 06-26-2004, 11:03 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Another product for a last-ditch effort (to be followed promptly by washing and waxing): tiny blasts of WD-40. It's pretty effective on road tar and tree sap, but you might be talking about too much surface area for that to be a viable solution.

Full disclosure: I've yet to use this particular solution on my C2. The old Probe GT? Sure, who cares. The Porsche (or in your case, Lexus)? Well ...

Whatever alternative remedy you use, you will probably want to follow the standard advice of most cleansers: try in an inconspicuous place first (sorry, that's probably obvious).
Old 06-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perhaps im missing the obvious .. but little bubbles are often indications of rust, but either way, those imperfections in the paint should be covered under some type of warranty as your Lexus is new (2004?)
PCNA repainted a little bubble in my new TT as well as replaced the windshield under the 10yr body/no-rust warranty. Im sure lexus should extend you the same consideration as your car is new.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I would hold off on the really hard stuff.

If it is a tree sap, try something more organic than goof off. Go get some P21S total auto cleaner (or S100 total Cycle cleaner, its the same stuff) spray down the entire car and let it sit out of the sun for 20 minutes or so it should soften the sap up enough that warm (almost hot) soapy water with dishwashing liquid (use something mild like Dawn) and a regular wash mitt should take it right off. Then wax.

or even better don't listen to me, go to the detailing boards on autopia.com and ask those guys they will know for sure.

still i think my way would do it

Jon
Old 06-26-2004, 11:54 PM
Bob D.
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, you are all trying too hard. Steve, my strong hunch is all you need to do is clay it....
Old 06-27-2004, 12:34 PM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i vote for clay also, that is special detailing clay
used w/lubricating spray

it comes in different grits

but you will most likely need to machine buff the car after all it has been through , so you may just want to hand it over to a good detailer and let your arms rest.

point out the problem areas to them and dont look for the lowest price shop in town.

you might look in your pca local publication to see if any detail shops advertise in it. they would tend to be good since porsche owners tend to be, say, detail oriented
Old 06-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Unless you're out of coffee and need a nice jolt to your day, do not use Goof-Off on your paint. I figured it was the same stuff as the tar and bug remover. Wrong. When I used it, the stuff made the clearcoat cloudy. After a bried moment of panic, I managed to buff out the cloudiness.

Goof-Off, bad.

Quick Reply: OT: Help with my Lexus paint