Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - leather care product review

Old 06-25-2004, 07:37 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts
Default OT - leather care product review

Sheesh, I go away for a few weeks and you guys dredge up mlincoln again?

Anyway, I came across a detailing product that I liked enough to write a quick blurb about. It's called Soffener and it's made by ColorPlus, the Surflex people.

My M5 is in great shape but there is no getting around the fact that the seats have had 75K miles of butts in them. I typically have used Lexol in the past as have been pretty satisfied, but the M5 seats were pretty dried out after 3 years in the hands of a casual owner. I came across a recommendation for this Soffener stuff on a Porsche restoration website and thought I'd give it a try.

Of course, like a bonehead I forgot to snap a good "before" picture, so don't draw too many conclusions from these 2 pics.

Here's the driver seat just after a Lexol treatment.

Here's the same seat after the Soffener treatment.

While the pictures aren't great, I can say that this stuff is by far the best leather conditioner I've ever used, although I have yet to try Leatherique.

Downsides: Like Zaino, it's a multistep process. First you clean the seats with a citrus based cleanser they provide to open the pores. Let it dry, then apply a thick coat of Soffener and park the car in the sun to build up a lot of heat. After 24 hours you wipe off any excess with a damp cloth and let the seats dry again to absorb that last bit of conditioner. This process could take up to 3 days. The stuff comes in small paint cans and it's messy to apply. The Soffener really penetrates hides, a side effect is that it's very tough to wash off your hands. (probably good for them though)

Conclusion: The Zaino of interiors.

Enjoy,
Old 06-25-2004, 07:58 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

i've tried a lot of different products, including Leatherique and Color+ Soffener on the seats in my 993.
The Soffener wins hands down for making the leather softer!!
I used a 1 1/2" brush for application...worked without too much mess.

ps, your M5 is what my 535i 5spd wants to be when it grows up

max
Old 06-25-2004, 08:55 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your 'm' is soooo lovin' you. seats look great.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:25 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

They make regular Soffener and quick formula. Has anyone used latter? Seems like a much faster process.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:38 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Mike, I talked to the nice lady who answered the phone over there and she recommended the regular stuff since my leather was smooth. The cleaner step actually made the leather rough feeling as it made the "nape stand up." The conditioner then noticably softened the leather and gave a nice matte finish. The seats now feel more like leather than that vinyl-like feel German leather seats are famous for.

I suspect you would use the regular stuff once every year or two, then touch up with the quick formula.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:22 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The Soffener described is good for restoration of leather that has suffered. For regular maintenance of leather that hasn't dried out, I think the quick formula is fantastic.

John Paterek is the Exterior'/Interior subject matter expert for the Tech Section of PCA.org. He is nationally recognized in Porsche circles and has long been involved in managing and judging Porsche Club concours events in Zone 1 and, with his brother Ray, has run a Manhattan Trophy winning restoration business in New Jersey for over 25 years. They have compiled a list of "Paterek Preferred" products they have found to be superior for maintenance of concours quality Porsches. Soffener is on that list. Here is a link: http://www.pca.org/tech/library/pate...AGE%20TIPS.pdf

I have used the quick formula on a couple of my cars since learning of it and it was the first thing I did when I brought my C4S home from the seller two weeks ago. I like it because it is a flowing liquid, not a thick cream. It spreads easily with a small cloth and easily absorbs into the leather. You can buff it lightly with a towel after awhile and it leaves a nice matt sheen and a wonderful feel. My car is a 1998 and had only 12,700 miles when I bought it, but I don't think the leather was ever treated. I have applied Soffener several times and now it looks and feels great. Definitely check this product out.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

So, Peter and John, how much of this stuff is needed per application? They seem to sell 16 Oz bottles - is that enough for both seats? And is teh cleaner included - there's no mention of it on their site?
Old 06-26-2004, 01:13 AM
User 4621
Race Director

Mike,

I used about 1/2 of the 16 oz can for the entire interior, probably 2x or more the acreage of leather in a 993.

The starter set is called Kit #2A. I believe the cleaning step is just as critical as the conditioning step. It was the cleaner that really gave the leather the right "feel."
Old 06-26-2004, 01:32 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't seen the cleaner, but the 16oz bottle of treatment has been used to do our minivan's seven seats, a 330ci twice and a full leather C4S several times. I still have about half left.

It's a nice thin liquid and I used the short sleeve of a tee shirt as my applicator. It's small and doesn't absorb much so most of the product gets on the seats. You just wipe it on, very easy.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:48 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

I have used Soffener for 5 years...great stuff indeed. Use their bar soap first, then let is soak for an hour or two...like butter! Lexol is mostly water and just sits on top of the leather, in my experience.

Use a small closed cell sponge or a foam paintbrush to apply.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:00 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Small world. A close friend of mine manufactures those foam paint brushes.
I also used them with the Surflex stain.

Dave
Old 06-26-2004, 03:39 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work Pete! The seats look brand-new!
Old 06-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 615 Posts

What do any of you use for cleaning and protecting the dash and door panels? I don't like amour all because of the greasy feel and it tend to discolor over time. Suggestions?
Old 06-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Rolo
What do any of you use for cleaning and protecting the dash and door panels? I don't like amour all because of the greasy feel and it tend to discolor over time. Suggestions?
Vinylex, which is in blue bottle is usually the choice of users. Not very glossy and does not have the Armor-all feel. Some say that Armor-all is actually harmful and may crack the dash.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:10 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

I use 303 aerospace protectant.
It has a slight gloss that can be somewhat controlled by amount applied. The gloss is quite close to the vinylex. It actually becomes a little more subdued a few days after application.
Besides having good UV protection, and preservation qualities, I find that it does not attract or hold dust at all. Even better than Vinylex in this regard- from my experience.
Probably anything would be better than ArmorAll.....well, maybe not margarine. (it would leave the same appearance and feel as armor-all, but would probably attract flies )

max

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT - leather care product review