993 Forum 1995-1998

Alpine radio removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 12:08 PM
Mac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alpine radio removal

Before I spend half my life under the dash in the Texas heat, does anyone have experience in removing an Alpine CD/radio. For Ray, I've checked BOTH archives, and found Robin's always helpful DIY on reomval of the stock radios with the thin metal keys, but this radio is devoid of any such slots. Please tell me I won't have to go down under...it's too hot here, and my neck never seems the same after those under-dash safaris!
Old 07-14-2001, 02:36 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mac,

I once removed a Kenwood DIN chasis radio from a 993 (Robert's 993 in Nashville). We too also couldn't find any slots to slide the keys in like the ones on the factory radio, so Robert called the stereo shop that did the installation and they told us just to stick a thin slice of metal on two sides of the radio to release the tab that's holding the radio in.

I am guesing the removal of the Alpine unit may be similiar.

FYI, The two metal blades I used to slide in each sides were the blades from the Sears Hadi-cutter.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:44 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Sounds like this is NOT a OE radio. If so, try consulting with Alpine to see if you can get their directions.

Every radio is different; procedure for the OE Porsche CR-1 in my '95 993, Kenwood KMD-44 which I replaced it with, and the upgrade Porsche radio Robin describes on his site apparently uses a different procedure.

The CR-1 nose surround (decorative "frame" on outside of unit and nearest the instrument panel cutout) comes away from the radio separately; at each end in about the centerline of the unit, there are two expanding plastic pieces that fit into slots in the metal raio frame. Have to get under this nosepiece on one side from top and bottom, push up and down toward centerline of each side using something like the thinnest Allen wrenches you have cut down to about a quarter of an inch long at the business end (can make your own from some nails). Then this nose piece comes out, and where the nosepiece fits, there is a "lock" which must be held dead center (slides up and down and refuses to stay in center position) to release the radio locks from the internal frame.

Good luck with the Taxes sun; I was in "cool" PA and still swore and sweated!
Old 07-18-2001, 10:01 AM
Mac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for the input. Finally figured out it was two small locking tabs on the inside edge of the unit after the face is detached. They need to be moved halfway up and the unit gently rocks out to the dash. Took about 10 seconds! See ya! Mac

Quick Reply: Alpine radio removal